Forest Fire

Forest Fire

Student
Jul 19, 2019
Does anyone else struggle with having empathy towards others.
I've got my own problems but a few things that have happened to a person at work have sent me into a complete downward spiral over the last few days to the point i've pretty much been on the verge of tears the last few hours and I don't cry very often. I was wound up and angry yesterday to the point my veins were bulging out my head and people were asking what was up with me. I wasn't kicking off or anything like that i just looked visibly distressed.
i get on with the person who's been hard done by despite us not being close but i feel like a joke that i've reacted like this to seeing them being made angry and then upset.
I'm glad that i care about other people but i just can't handle the emotions i feel when i see someone upset, especially if it's undeserved and there's nothing i can do to help them. Even if i managed to sort out my own stuff (however unlikely that is), this shit is always going to keep me depressed, particularly with how a lot of people treat others with no consideration. It's been a problem for me my whole life so i don't see how to fix it, if that's even possible.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: todienomore, sashimi_, LittleJem and 1 other person
cgrtt.brns

cgrtt.brns

wandering ghost (he/him)
Apr 19, 2023
im normally emotionally numb, or i can appear numb to others, but if someone treats another person who doesnt deserve it bad, it fills me with so much burning anger it becomes overwhelming and i cant help but cry. even if all my problems were fixed, i would still be a mess because of how many people treat others with such lack of respect or compassion. i dont understand how people can be so horrible.

• Love
Reactions: sashimi_
EmpathyMinded

EmpathyMinded

Student
May 1, 2023
I've also struggled with this at times. I tend to feel attuned to the feelings of others, to where if they are upset and are decent people as far as I know, it will make me upset too. But I'm also grateful because I can use that empathy to reach out and talk to them. I've been in those kind of shitty positions before, and even if someone can't fix that situation, just taking the time to even care counted for something. I mean, feeling nothing and moving on would be easier.

When you see these things happen, if you don't already I'd consider trying letting them know you're sorry they have to deal with that or whatever. It's no guarantee it can help, but if it does and you can see that, that can make you in turn feel better too maybe. You can't change someone's past but you can change what their present now is like and make that better. I know when I've been deep in my depression and considering CTB I'd have given anything for someone to do that for me.

Don't do anything you aren't comfortable with of course. Just an idea to consider maybe.

• Love
Reactions: cgrtt.brns and sashimi_