Donk

Donk

Useless since day 1
Jan 3, 2020

No need to pay humans to build Teslas when we can program monkeys to do it.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: Fehler, SentientCreature, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 5 others
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
No need to pay humans to build Teslas when we can program monkeys to do it.
Why bother with mortal meat sacks when you can have robots building Teslas?

Reactions: UseItOrLoseIt and Dr Iron Arc
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
The world is really fucking horrific now. Uploading shit into brains.
Not to mention the cruelty of testing on apes.
But now people don't work to be more intelligent to fuck others over, rich family simply buy them a brain chip and spoilt asshole turns into a bigger asshole.
Sadist scum become more abusive.

How can people justify it.

Reactions: nolongerhuman and Breakout92
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
It seems things will go crazier from now on.
I wonder if AI will destroy us for real someday lol.

As for Elon, I just love him and I hope I am in this world when he sends some guys to Mars.

Reactions: GrumpyFrog
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
I wonder if AI will destroy us for real someday lol.
If only mentally once we realize how most of us are not much different from that monkey when you compare our own intellectual abilities to those of an AI...
I don't think AI will ever bother destroying humanity, though. Humanity is much more likely to destroy itself on it's own. We're the hateful petty assholes, not the machines, machines have no need to hurt or subjugulate living beings.

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, SentientCreature and WornOutLife
SentientCreature

SentientCreature

Mar 16, 2021
If only mentally once we realize how most of us are not much different from that monkey when you compare our own intellectual abilities to those of an AI...
I don't think AI will ever bother destroying humanity, though. Humanity is much more likely to destroy itself on it's own. We're the hateful petty assholes, not the machines, machines have no need to hurt or subjugulate living beings.
What if we built negative utilitarian ethics into our AI? Technology that's gone out of control and malevolent AI are common solutions to the Fermi paradox but I like to consider this other possibility. Benevolent antinatalist AI that realizes that our primitive biological drives lead only to an endless cycle of unnecessary suffering and that the only way to to put an end to it is to destroy humanity once and for all.

Reactions: deflationary, GenesAndEnvironment, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 1 other person
G

Gunnersup

Jul 2, 2020
Actually, the neuralink did not teach the monkey to play pong. It could very well play pong with a controller without the neuralink, but the neuralink gets rid of the controller and instead directly uses the monkeys brain signals to control the paddle.

The neuralink in this monkey example is only recieving brain signals, it is not giving or teaching the money anything. Although I'm sure it will in a few years

Last edited:
Reactions: Good4Nothing, Breakout92, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 4 others
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
What if we built negative utilitarian ethics into our AI? Technology that's gone out of control and malevolent AI are common solutions to the Fermi paradox but I like to consider this other possibility. Benevolent antinatalist AI that realizes that our primitive biological drives lead only to an endless cycle of unnecessary suffering and that the only way to to put an end to it is to destroy humanity once and for all.
That's very interesting, I've never really heard that solution for the Fermi paradox, even though I think I've heard a dozen others.
I wouldn't say I completely deny the possibility of an AI programmed to have it's own ethics, however, currently were infinitely far away from that. Ethics are a very abstract concept which would be immensely difficult to "program" in an AI, if possible at all. I'd suggest just giving AI more specific goals, program it to, say, diagnose and cure diseases, rather than givin it an existential task of looking for a solution for all the world's suffering. That's what scientists always do in sci-fi before AI becomes a crapshoot.

Reactions: SentientCreature
T

Tree frog

Apr 1, 2021
Do you all think it was genuine though? I'm highly suspicious. The only real evidence put forward was a USB cord unplugged from the joy stick, not exactly water tight to me.
If it is real it's horrific and does not bode well for humanity in my view. Humans just can't help themselves it seems

G

Gunnersup

Jul 2, 2020
Do you all think it was genuine though? I'm highly suspicious. The only real evidence put forward was a USB cord unplugged from the joy stick, not exactly water tight to me.
If it is real it's horrific and does not bode well for humanity in my view. Humans just can't help themselves it seems
I think it's genuine. It's just a machine learning algorithm that uses the monkeys brain signals as data. The logic of it makes sense to me

T

Tree frog

Apr 1, 2021
Y
I think it's genuine. It's just a machine learning algorithm that uses the monkeys brain signals as data. The logic of it makes sense toye
Yeah interesting. I think perhaps I just don't want it to be true. The logic of the algorithm makes sense to me too but making it work in reality is a huge leap

Donk

Donk

Useless since day 1
Jan 3, 2020
After further review, this article is somewhat misleading. This exercise with the monkey has been done before, except Neuralink was able to accomplish this wirelessly which is impressive nonetheless. In the distant future, I can envision being able to download and upload digital copies of ourselves. imagine a single quantum computer that stores a footprint of everyone's brain, manipulate and upload the data without us knowing. Simulation theory sounds more realistic within that context. A centralize AI able to control our reality while using our meatsuit as an extension of our mind. Maybe this is happening as we speak and God is some form of intelligence that is fucking with our reality. God as an AI is more palpable than a God who "love" us. At least we know AI would be indifferent to our suffering since it lacks empathy.

Reactions: GrumpyFrog, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and Tree frog
SentientCreature

SentientCreature

Mar 16, 2021
Y

Yeah interesting. I think perhaps I just don't want it to be true. The logic of the algorithm makes sense to me too but making it work in reality is a huge leap
It is a scary idea when you think that these technologies are owned by huge corporations, maybe governments in the future. We could be heading towards a catastrophic dystopian future. On the brighter side though, artifcial neural networks and machine learning have a huge potential for helping the disabled. Take a look at this.

Reactions: demuic, Tree frog and Donk
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
I think perhaps I just don't want it to be true.
Why is it bad though?
It is a scary idea when you think that these technologies are owned by huge corporations, maybe governments in the future.
Well, let's face it, new technologies or no new technologies, huge corporations and governments already completely own our assess. It's done, it's over, there's no more wilderness to escape to to avoid society. We had our Internet for a little while in the first decade of this millenium (and probably the 90s but I don't know what Internet was like when it was that young), but now it's completely owned by corporations and poisoned by politics too. I don't think developing Neuralink interface would give them more power to control us than they already have, because they already have plenty.

Reactions: SentientCreature
Donk

Donk

Useless since day 1
Jan 3, 2020
It is a scary idea when you think that these technologies are owned by huge corporations, maybe governments in the future. We could be heading towards a catastrophic dystopian future. On the brighter side though, artifcial neural networks and machine learning have a huge potential for helping the disabled. Take a look at this.

can't wait for the version of Neuralink which will permanently shut down my brain. Follow by a Tesla crushing my skull at full speed. aka CTB by Elon.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Wow
Reactions: Boochky, demuic, SentientCreature and 1 other person
T

Tree frog

Apr 1, 2021
Why is it bad though?
It's a deep question. I think we would lose the essence of what it is to be human. We are already disconnected from the rest of the living world to such a degree I think it's deeply affecting our psyche.. And i personally believe is one of the big causes of mental health symptoms so many of us suffer from. This i imagine would make things worse.

Just think of the issues with social media, bullying and mental health etc today. I can't imagine having that implanted in your brain is going to help..and of course we can be tracked and turned off remotely from a third party. I'm not a fan! ..a longer waffle than i expected there :)
Thanks for that.. Good to point out the brighter side too.. I was rather going down a rabbit hole of the negatives on the subject

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic, SentientCreature and Donk
SentientCreature

SentientCreature

Mar 16, 2021
can't wait for the version of Neuralink which will permanently shut down my brain. Follow by a Tesla crushing my skull at full speed. aka CTB by Elon.
Wellp, seems like I have a plan B now in case SN fails again

Reactions: Boochky
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
It's a deep question. I think we would lose the essence of what it is to be human. We are already disconnected from the rest of the living world to such a degree I think it's deeply affecting our psyche.. And i personally believe is one of the big causes of mental health symptoms so many of us suffer from. This i imagine would make things worse.

Just think of the issues with social media, bullying and mental health etc today. I can't imagine having that implanted in your brain is going to help..
It is actually a very interesting discussion - what it means to be human and be alive? Would we still be alive and human if we would just interact with virtual reality via Neuralink without ever using our physical body? Can we reach immortality this way? There are actually many deep questions we can ask about it.
I don't think technology is to blame for hurting us. Yes, cyberbullying exists - but it doesn't exist because we have Facebook, it is there because bullying exists outside of social media and had always existed. If we forbid kids from using social media they wouldn't post hurtful things about each other, they'd just go right back to writing them on the walls, screaming them out and the good old spitting and kicking. No one is forcing anyone to use social media so far, we're given this option and I believe that if we use it to hurt ourselves or others - we're the only ones to blame. Same with any other technology. If you belive it harms you - just don't use it.
and of course we can be tracked and turned off remotely from a third party.
If that's any consolation, we're nowhere close to the ability to "turn off" humans, and Neuralink doesn't get us any closer to that.

T

Tree frog

Apr 1, 2021
It is actually a very interesting discussion - what it means to be human and be alive? Would we still be alive and human if we would just interact with virtual reality via Neuralink without ever using our physical body? Can we reach immortality this way? There are actually many deep questions we can ask about it.
I don't think technology is to blame for hurting us. Yes, cyberbullying exists - but it doesn't exist because we have Facebook, it is there because bullying exists outside of social media and had always existed. If we forbid kids from using social media they wouldn't post hurtful things about each other, they'd just go right back to writing them on the walls, screaming them out and the good old spitting and kicking. No one is forcing anyone to use social media so far, we're given this option and I believe that if we use it to hurt ourselves or others - we're the only ones to blame. Same with any other technology. If you belive it harms you - just don't use it.

If that's any consolation, we're nowhere close to the ability to "turn off" humans, and Neuralink doesn't get us any closer to that.
I think the 24/7 aspect of cyber bullying is real and a new phenomena above and beyond the playground bullying, also children who inevitably use social media and the internet might not be able to have the self control to just stop using it if it's bad for them.. And peer pressure too of course.
It is a fascinating question though what it means to be human. I guess if you go back far enough the organisms we evolved from dont resemble modern humans, so presumably go forward far enough and we won't resemble our current selves either. But i guess we do have a choice as humans to consciously influence our evolutionary path. It disturbs me how corporations are likely going to get to dictate a lot of that.
I do think we are all increasingly forced to be online and use the internet whether we want to or not just for daily life and services these days so the idea you can just opt out is becoming less and less possible.

Reactions: SentientCreature, Lucien and demuic
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
I'm really excited about every new development that neuralink comes up with - I had a stroke and due to it my brain has lost some of its functionality and part of my body sadly became spastic (cramping muscles).
The idea that some probes implanted into my brain would make my stiffness disappear and would let me access all of my body again sounds awesome.
And I don't really care that the company might have ulterior motives in the long run or I might be "controlled" by them - as someone said it here before: everybodys steps are already traceable through looking at their pcs/phones. And since I'm already suicidal I really got nothing to lose - might as well get turned into a super strong contract killer working for them or something :D.
Please, Elon, I kinda think you're an arrogant prick, but let me have this one, haha.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Boochky, DocNo and Good4Nothing
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
I do think we are all increasingly forced to be online and use the internet whether we want to or not just for daily life and services these days so the idea you can just opt out is becoming less and less possible.
This is what I find dystopian about our current society and it's only going to get worse.

Humanity is not at a point where it will choose to use technology for good before anything else.

Privacy is not considered a right nor is it even an option anymore without deploying aggressive maneuvers of your own. Tracking everywhere and everything.

I wish that the amount of people working to avoid giving into corporate and government interference increases but I'm not getting my hope up.

Reactions: Boochky, SentientCreature, GenesAndEnvironment and 2 others
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
Elon Musk gives me the heebee jeebies. Even his name creeps me out.

• Love
Reactions: Boochky
JustAMatterOfTime

JustAMatterOfTime

Fragile
Mar 21, 2021
Testing on animals is so cruel, especially when it's stuff like this that isn't a life saving drug.

• Love
Reactions: Boochky and Mentalmick