Soupster

Soupster

Chasing dreams, catching nightmares
Aug 14, 2024
I know it's part of the whole mythos and culture around catching the bus to leave a note... but why?

Reactions: ropearoundatree
C

chester

Aug 1, 2024
Many reasons:
  1. People you leave behind might not know why it happened or what were you feeling and why. You can make sure they know.
  2. You might want to leave some instructions behind regarding your things, the funeral, etc.
  3. You might want to express your feelings, say you're sorry this had to happen or tell someone you love them. Or the opposite, tell everyone to go f themselves.
  4. You may just want to say goodbye, that you know you wouldn't be able to do in person.
All this implies, that you care at least a bit about what happens after you're gone. If you don't, then I agree, there's no point.

Reactions: 3/4Dead, Defenestration, SoulWhisperer and 2 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I expect a lot of people haven't told their loved ones how they feel- not entirely anyhow. So, it's to stop them forever wondering why we did it.

I think people try to allay any guilt their loved ones may be feeling- as in- by saying there's nothing they could have done to help.

We likely won't actually say goodbye to them vocally- unless we have incredibly understanding families so- it's our last communication to them.

Plus, just from a police investigation stand point- it makes it more clear that it was in fact a suicide and no one else was involved.

I actually find it more strange when people don't leave notes. I think it's sometimes because they are seeking some form of retribution. Quite often here, I sense that people don't leave notes when family or friends have caused them deep suffering. So- they don't feel like they owe them an explanation. Sometimes, I think they actually want them to suffer- wondering whether it was in fact them who contributed to the decision. Or, they feel as if everyone has abandoned them so, it won't make any difference whether they leave a note or not.

Reactions: 3/4Dead and ropearoundatree
R

ropearoundatree

Experienced
Nov 9, 2023
For me: I don't hold any feelings of ill will, (n)or animosity against my family. Nothing like that... In fact, quite the opposite; so, it's always just about... not being--or having been, or felt "capable," I guess~ of saying all of the things I've needed to say. And in such a way, that would make it be 'complete,' at least to me. Really though, it's going to come as no big-shocker, to anyone. In short, if I could/I would. . .

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It's up to the individual whether to leave one, depends on whether they have anything they wish to say to others to be read once they no longer exist.

Defenestration

Defenestration

I want to have the courage to defenestrate myself
Oct 25, 2020
For me very important for my family

Reactions: jusbug
blueberryDesert

blueberryDesert

Jul 23, 2024
Personally, I see no point in leaving a note other than a sentence saying Cremate Me or whatever disposal of the body the person wants after they ctb.