bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
Can someone help me sort out exit bag specifics? I know one woman took a long time to die of inert gas asphyxiation because she used an oxygen mask. So, if you accidentally let oxygen in, the death is more prolonged and awful.

At the same time, they say it's important to use elastic in your exit bag. I got 16x17.5" turkey bags yesterday and the neck is SO wide, I feel like there's no way I'm going to be able to keep oxygen out.

There's so little literature out there about successes and failures. I know about the snorkeling equipment guy, I know about the Brooklyn podcasting couple.

I'm clumsy and not an engineer. I feel like there's no way I'm going to succeed and I'm scared.

ALSO, just finding a regulator that displays mL/second instead of psi? Where? How?

bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
One other question (I'm new here). Do we have any way of knowing who on this forum has succeeded? Does anyone have access to video footage to study methodology?

W

WearyOfStruggling

Male, 54
May 23, 2020
Can someone help me sort out exit bag specifics? I know one woman took a long time to die of inert gas asphyxiation because she used an oxygen mask. So, if you accidentally let oxygen in, the death is more prolonged and awful.

At the same time, they say it's important to use elastic in your exit bag. I got 16x17.5" turkey bags yesterday and the neck is SO wide, I feel like there's no way I'm going to be able to keep oxygen out.

There's so little literature out there about successes and failures. I know about the snorkeling equipment guy, I know about the Brooklyn podcasting couple.

I'm clumsy and not an engineer. I feel like there's no way I'm going to succeed and I'm scared.

ALSO, just finding a regulator that displays mL/second instead of psi? Where? How?
I'm sorry that life has led you to this point of seeking this information. I wish for you that things would change for the better and you would choose to stay instead.

There is detailed information on how to construct an oven bag hood in the Peaceful Pill eHandbook and the "Doing it with Chi" video which are both available in the "Resource Compilation" thread. I personally would prefer to use a bag hood because it has a documented history of success with Exit International, unlike oxygen masks which are known to have issues, or any other type of mask for that matter.

A flowmeter regulator will have a flow gauge for setting the gas flow rate. They are available from welding supply companies and some tool stores. Search the web for "flowmeter regulator". Make sure it will measure the flow rate of the gas being used. Some of them will measure multiple gases by providing multiple scales on the flowmeter's clear vertical tube. Don't use a pressure regulator which allows the output pressure to be set but doesn't measure the flow rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greenberg
bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
Thank you for your prompt reply, and for your sympathies. I'm familiar with the Chi and Betty videos, but still doubt my abilities. Is it possible for you to reach me in my DM's?

I still haven't found any flowmeter regulators that measure in mLs/second, but I'm capable of converting; what seems most important is that the flowmeter be click-style so the rate of flow can be set in advance.

Do you think this one could work? https://www.orsnasco.com/storefront...-uom=&warehouse-id=17&item-number=312-VN-500#

Maybe "Nitrogen-purging" is the opposite of what I need? I just need to find a supplier that doesn't need me to be affiliated with a company.

I've read so much Exit International literature in the past few months but still don't have a feel for how legit the organization is, which is why I'm hoping to find more specific instructions from another source (ie. someone on here).

Thank you again, Weary of Struggling. And I'm sorry you're here as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: WearyOfStruggling
W

WearyOfStruggling

Male, 54
May 23, 2020
Thank you for your prompt reply, and for your sympathies. I'm familiar with the Chi and Betty videos, but still doubt my abilities. Is it possible for you to reach me in my DM's?

Also, I searched the web but still haven't found any flowmeter regulators that measure in mLs/second. Could you please link me to one?

I've read so much Exit International literature in the past few months but still don't have a feel for how legit the organization is, which is why I'm hoping to find more specific instructions from another source (ie. someone on here).
I don't yet have the option to DM you. I think it's because you haven't made enough posts yet. When you are able, feel free to contact me.

I don't know what country you live in, but in the USA where I am, many flowmeter regulators have scales in cubic feet per hour (CFH), which you can convert to any other units such as l/m. I'm not sure why you are looking for mLs/second specifically. Posting links to items on this forum is not allowed. In one of my first posts, I have info on my experiences finding a regulator flowmeter, though.

I only know about Exit International from what I have read on this site. My point is that they have reported to have had experience testing and using the exit bag method, so their information seems more trustworthy than someone on this forum stating what type of mask, etc. they THINK would work in theory with no evidence of prior experience. Ultimately each person has to decide for themselves what is right for them.

EDIT: I'm not familiar with the Ors Nasco regulator you mentioned. It seems like it was designed specifically for HVAC work, though. I would recommend using one intended for inert gas welding that has a inlet pressure gauge to measure the pressure in the cylinder, a clear vertical tube to measure the outlet flow rate, and a knob to adjust the flow rate. You don't have to be affiliated with a company to purchase these items.

Last edited:
bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
Ahh, I forgot the links rule. Are we allowed to exchange links once we're able to DM one another? Or to attach images of products we're considering using the "Attach Files" tab?

I don't know why I was set on mLs/second either.

I read your early posts and I think they helped. I found something called "Click-style Oxygen Regulator, 0-25 LPM, w/Hose Barb & 2-DISS 286MB-25L" that might work. I've also found an "Oxygen Click Flowmeter" with a 15 LPM setting. I've bought an adaptor in case the tank, which is coming in a few days, is male and whatever regulator flowmeter I get is also male (for instance, would the 'hose barb' in the first item I mentioned qualify it as male?)

I'm sorry I have no mind for tech at all. I'll contact you privately when I have the chance. I live in the US too.

W

WearyOfStruggling

Male, 54
May 23, 2020
Ahh, I forgot the links rule. Are we allowed to exchange links once we're able to DM one another? Or to attach images of products we're considering using the "Attach Files" tab?

I don't know why I was set on mLs/second either.

I read your early posts and I think they helped. I found something called "Click-style Oxygen Regulator, 0-25 LPM, w/Hose Barb & 2-DISS 286MB-25L" that might work. I've also found an "Oxygen Click Flowmeter" with a 15 LPM setting. I've bought an adaptor in case the tank, which is coming in a few days, is male and whatever regulator flowmeter I get is also male (for instance, would the 'hose barb' in the first item I mentioned qualify it as male?)

I'm sorry I have no mind for tech at all. I'll contact you privately when I have the chance. I live in the US too.
I wouldn't recommend getting a flowmeter regulator designed for oxygen because I believe the fitting is a different type than inert gas, and the flow rate won't be correct because the different densities of the gases will cause the gauge to read incorrectly.

The tank will have a female fitting and the flowmeter regulator will have a male input fitting, so they will attach directly together. In the USA, it will likely be a CGA 580 type fitting. A hose barb fitting on the output of the flowmeter regulator is useful to attach plastic tubing to it.

I know links are prohibited because I was warned after I posted one. I believe images are allowed, but I would choose to put them in a spoiler tag.

Last edited:
N

Nolove4me

Aug 26, 2020
I made a very very successful rig out of a good quality paint mask you leave the fresh seal caps on and electrical tape the hell out of it heat it up a little with hair dryer and it seals air tight. I'm a welder so I used my 100% argon tank run the fitting and hose like you'd run it to anything and insert the fitting in seal off with gasket maker etc just make sure you leave the small quarter size one way flap untouched you want that to still work so you breath in gas breathing out will be uncomfortable just because it only a small space for escape but you'll push out o2 and tiny inert gas amount so each breath is inert. I never felt uncomfortable in the least bit, my body didn't fight it there was a super quick panic as I started to lose my vision but that wasn't physical reaction it was mental reaction because at that point there's no going back you can't move your extremities at all. It was very peaceful and I was not happy to be awakened by paddles at all! I've since had my family strip down my weld shop and not allow bottles of welding gas, I'm working on my helium set up now
I wouldn't recommend getting a flowmeter regulator for oxygen because I believe the fitting is a different type than inert gas, and the flow rate won't be correct because the different densities of the gases will cause the gauge to read incorrectly.

The tank will have a female fitting and the flowmeter regulator will have a male input fitting, so they will attach directly together. In the USA, it will likely be a CGA 580 type fitting. A hose barb fitting on the output of the flowmeter regulator is useful to attach plastic tubing to it.

I know links are prohibited because I was warned after I posted one. I believe images are allowed, but I would choose to put them in a spoiler tag.
You actually need a flowmeter or the pressure in the tank will blow your rig and or lungs out pretty quick you can't just barely crack the seals on those you just have to be vigilant about piping tape and wrenching down tight a little dawn dish soap and water in a spray bottle is easy enough

• Hugs
Reactions: Lastsauce
W

WearyOfStruggling

Male, 54
May 23, 2020
You actually need a flowmeter or the pressure in the tank will blow your rig and or lungs out pretty quick you can't just barely crack the seals on those you just have to be vigilant about piping tape and wrenching down tight a little dawn dish soap and water in a spray bottle is easy enough
@Nolove4me, I fully agree you do need a flowmeter regulator, but one designed for the inert gas being used, NOT for oxygen as @bov was considering, for the reasons I stated.

bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
I made a very very successful rig out of a good quality paint mask you leave the fresh seal caps on and electrical tape the hell out of it heat it up a little with hair dryer and it seals air tight. I'm a welder so I used my 100% argon tank run the fitting and hose like you'd run it to anything and insert the fitting in seal off with gasket maker etc just make sure you leave the small quarter size one way flap untouched you want that to still work so you breath in gas breathing out will be uncomfortable just because it only a small space for escape but you'll push out o2 and tiny inert gas amount so each breath is inert. I never felt uncomfortable in the least bit, my body didn't fight it there was a super quick panic as I started to lose my vision but that wasn't physical reaction it was mental reaction because at that point there's no going back you can't move your extremities at all. It was very peaceful and I was not happy to be awakened by paddles at all! I've since had my family strip down my weld shop and not allow bottles of welding gas, I'm working on my helium set up now

Surely you incurred some permanent brain damage if you made it that far? You mentioned in another post that you've been strangled. Can you tell me more about yourself?

Last edited:
N

Nolove4me

Aug 26, 2020
Yeah I have borderline personality, ADHD, anxiety have since I was a kid. I have had 6 serious attempts 3 of which I was down down mostly overdoses the 1st one I stayed on a vent for a week I've not had anything more than short term memory issues as far as damage done I have no idea why or how it took weeks after but everything came back. The strangulation was an ex boyfriend he caught the brunt of my crazy and it turned abusive so he put me out a few times like that it's horrific it's slow and you panic. When I 1st came across the inert gas methods I started researching it pills never work for me and I've failed so many times I can't pull the trigger very close a few times but jerked away and hesitated I don't want to end up with half a face and be a bigger problem for my family! I had so much anxiety and panic trying with a bag I rigged up a painters respirator mask it seemed perfect it's strapped on and you get continual flow the flaps make sure oxygen build up doesn't happen would have worked had the ex not realized that I was going to do something and sent everyone out looking so found before I got cold
@Nolove4me, I fully agree you do need a flowmeter regulator, but one designed for the inert gas being used, NOT for oxygen as @bov was considering, for the reasons I stated.
I'm sorry I didn't put two and two together

Reactions: WearyOfStruggling