LapisLazuli

LapisLazuli

Nov 4, 2021
I'm suffering from depression and OCD for a long time, and I was cured for about a year. Sadly I had lots of stress in my work, and it made the mental illness come back, so my dr. Gave me the same pills I had earlier Venlafaxine and orizon, so an antidepressant, and anti ocd pills. Somehow something miraculous had happened, and I felt so much joy, energy, and interest in everything. I felt the best I ever could feel for about 3 months of using those meds. Sadly my dr changed venlafaxine to duloxetine for a very dumb reason on my side, that I would rather not say, but he assured me, that it's a very similar medicine, and there is no need for concern on switching it. After switching the meds, I remember that week, after a week I kept feeling worse and worse. It went so bad, that I gave up on all of my hobbies, because I no longer felt any joy from them. It dragged on for 16 months so far, and I have spent all of this time in bed doing nothing, because everything feels like an extremely heavy chore. The worst part is, that duloxetine seems to have damaged something in my body, because even after I stopped taking it after a month, no medicine wants to help me anymore. After a month of duloxetine, I immediately went back to venlafaxine but it did nothing except for giving me panic attacks, and making my heart hurt. Somehow all this miraculous effect no longer worked. My dr kept giving me other pills, and I have tried almost all possible psychiatric meds, with completely no effect. The once magical venlafaxine has been tried 3 times since then, and it did completely nothing. I'm currently in psychiatric hospital for the 2nd time, and I already went through entire esketamine treatment, which also did absolutely nothing. Right now my doctors want to try with more pills, but I feel like, they just have no idea what to do further. Can anyone give me any help, and advice on what can I do except for CTB ? Also does anyone know what could have happened to my brain because of that duloxetine ? Doctors here have no idea. I cannot live like this anymore.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: eeah, Leiot and not-2-b-the-answer
Leiot

Leiot

Student
Oct 2, 2024
I was on it for a long time. I didn't notice any side effects like that but I have other health issues that may have hid them.

Those drugs are not the same, though. If a med works for you I don't know why the doctor would have changed it, unless it was some sort of insurance-not-covering-it bullshit. I'd be curious why he changed it from something that worked in the first place. Duloxetine is on generic now so it shouldn't be a cost issue. I was originally put on it for pain management; could that have something to do with it?

• Informative
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
I wish I had some advice. 😥🤗 When I first started taking D, I guess it helped. I stopped rage posting as much or really at all. I guess it's still helping somewhat ???
I still feel rage tho. Just maybe not as severe. I don't know what would happen if I stopped talking it. 🤔
I'm sorry it's not working for you.
Found some side effects of D 😥

LapisLazuli

LapisLazuli

Nov 4, 2021
I was on it for a long time. I didn't notice any side effects like that but I have other health issues that may have hid them.

Those drugs are not the same, though. If a med works for you I don't know why the doctor would have changed it, unless it was some sort of insurance-not-covering-it bullshit. I'd be curious why he changed it from something that worked in the first place. Duloxetine is on generic now so it shouldn't be a cost issue. I was originally put on it for pain management; could that have something to do with it?
The change of pills was my fault actually. I don't want to say why, because it's very stupid, and embarrassing but sadly it's my fault and I cannot really blame the doctor for it.

• Aww..
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
E

excinephile

Aug 20, 2024
Welcome to the sad world of psychiatric med induced harm. It's a complete myth that changing meds, going on and off them multiple times etc. is safe. It's anything but, your brain never completely resets to default and what helped once may stop working the second or third time and - if you're really unlucky like me - the meds start to hurt you.
What you are describing is med induced anhedonia and apathy, possibly also PSSD. Check out the anhedonia sub on reddit.
My first advice would be to completely go off any medication or neuroactive substance for a while so your brain has a chance to heal. Later there are things that can be tried but sadly this is a very serious and misunderstood condition and the reason why I'm here as well.

• Informative
Reactions: LifeQuitter and not-2-b-the-answer