Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 26 35.1%

• Total voters
Astronomer

Astronomer

GIF Geek
Oct 6, 2020
Went out to go Asda this evening (supermarket) and was driving back home through a country lane, i saw a deer in the middle of the road, so i braked, i was at a big distance from it did not want to scare it and it just stood there, all of the sudden i saw it run and jump over the bridge, then another deer came from the forest and did the exact same thing, i was in shock so i parked up and climbed down the bridge by a side hill and it was a train track, both animals were gone. Injuries were devastating to see.

I don't know much about deers, can someone tell me, was this CTB or accident??
I guess what i am saying is, can animals commit suicide ? Like can there brain process suicidal thoughts?
I have put a poll i'm interested in peoples thoughts on animals and suicide

Last edited:
Reactions: AmDead, Deleted member 4993, Belaya Noch and 1 other person
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I'm not sure about deers but...
I used to have a dog who was 17 years old (it's a lot for dogs) and he started walking around the house without stopping all day, LITERARILLY! He would walk and walk and didn't want to eat or drink water. It's as if he felt he had enough time living and decided to "accelerate his death" (suicide) by walking even though it was hard to do so because of his age.
Then, one day, his heart finally stopped beating. In my opinion that was half a suicide at least.

What I mean is, animals feel when they're gonna die and might accelarate their death but I don't think think logically about CTB like us lol

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: TattiQueen, Scarecrow, AmDead and 4 others
B

Blurred_Reality

Sep 8, 2020
I have seen loads of these compilations on YouTube. I just think they jump not expecting a big fall, often they are running away from something. I don't think it is an attempt to consciously CTB.

• Love
Reactions: Chupacabra 44, Rn110bg101, Deleted member 4993 and 5 others
Astronomer

Astronomer

GIF Geek
Oct 6, 2020
I'm not sure about deers but...
I used to have a dog who was 17 years old (it's a lot for dogs) and he started walking around the house without stopping all day, LITERARILLY! He would walk and walk and didn't want to eat or drink water. It's as if he felt he had enough time living and decided to "accelerate his death" (suicide) by walking even though it was hard to do so because of his age.
Then, one day, his heart finally stopped beating. In my opinion that was half a suicide at least.

What I mean is, animals feel when they're gonna die and might accelarate their death but I don't think think logically about CTB like us lol
Sorry about you're dog, he lived to a very good age.

Is that him in you're picture, very cute looking dog nonetheless :)
I have seen loads of these compilations on YouTube. I just think they jump not expecting a big fall, often they are running away from something. I don't think it is an attempt to consciously CTB.
I went on youtube when i got home and this is what i got, tons of videos of this, seems often this happens, very sad.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993
S

shorecomingsee yah

Sep 21, 2020
when my cat was sick she left the house on a really cold night and we never saw her again. i see dogs when there are old or they lose someone like there owner they will starve themselve

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Hopeindeath!
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Sorry about you're dog, he lived to a very good age.

Is that him in you're picture, very cute looking dog nonetheless :)

I went on youtube when i got home and this is what i got, tons of videos of this, seems often this happens, very sad.

Oh no, the one on my pic is still alive, he's Tomi and used to be a stray dog but my parents and I adopted him and he's having a better and nice life now.
And the one I mentioned had a great life too. I kinda envy the way he lived; lots of food and playing with the ball lol

• Hugs
Reactions: Rn110bg101 and Deleted member 4993
S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
We just had a cat funnily named Pumpkin for Halloween for when he came to the house the first time. He has been there at this home for maybe fifteen years now. He was orange colored and a very friendly natured cat. He lived with two other cats and two dogs.

He just died the other day. What Pumpkin did was found a spot, and crawled his way into the walls of the house and was missing for two days before we found him inside of there. He was dying... He could have easily made his way back out from where we found him in the wall.

We grabbed a soft pillow and placed him on it on the kitchen table. He was breathing fast at first, and then his breath quickly began tapering off over the next hour before he died.

Pumpkin looked like he knew to me, and was ready to go... This just happened

• Hugs
  • Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: speck, Rn110bg101, Deleted member 4993 and 2 others
H

HadEnough1974

I try to be funny...
Jan 14, 2020
Went out to go Asda this evening (supermarket) and was driving back home through a country lane, i saw a deer in the middle of the road, so i braked, i was at a big distance from it did not want to scare it and it just stood there, all of the sudden i saw it run and jump over the bridge, then another deer came from the forest and did the exact same thing, i was in shock so i parked up and climbed down the bridge by a side hill and it was a train track, both animals were gone. Injuries were devastating to see.

I guess what i am saying is, can animals commit suicide ? Like can there brain process suicidal thoughts?

Christmas has been cancelled due to covid, and the deer were unable to find work.

It's not just deer who are ctb-ing, elf's and Santa's helpers, etc... it's a seasonal business.

Oh wait... breaking news on CNN, Santa releases a statement.

Tesla has confirmed that Santa ordered a driverless sleigh back in June and rain-deer around the world are ctb-ing at very high rates. Sad.

Reactions: Sprite_Geist, BitterlyAlive, Rn110bg101 and 1 other person
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
I think animals are a lot more sensitive to changes in the environment than we are.

So who knows? Definitely something worth keeping an eye on.

If more reports of animals killing themselves appear then I think we're heading for a major ecological disaster in the very near term.

Then again, it could just be a coincidence. One deer made a mistake, the other followed it.

Do animals even understand the concept of life and/or death?

Xocoyotziin

Xocoyotziin

Scorpion
Sep 5, 2020
@Spitfire
Apparently a lot of cats instinctually hide while dying as a last ditch effort to avoid predators while in a weakened state. My cat did something similar when he was dying. I moved him and got him a box to hide in so I could watch him and physically comfort him.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Spitfire
Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Life's a bitch and then you die.
Feb 23, 2020

Yes, I believe they do commit suicide, I done a thread in April about suicidal pets and animals

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/suicidal-animals-and-pets-who-ctb.37276/

Cheers

Geo

InterstateFlowers

InterstateFlowers

Experienced
Apr 16, 2020
I was about to vote No because I didn't think animals don't have the intelligence to feel suicidal, I believe they can feel grief but not so extreme to the point of suicide. Then I remembered this case where a dolphin named Peter committed suicide because his caretaker left after research funding to see if we can translate dolphin sounds to human language. link to source Apparently, dolphins have to make a conscious effort to breathe unlike humans so Peter just held his breathe until he sunk to the bottom. Can you imagine? If suddenly you can just hold your breathe, wait a few minutes, and die? I doubt half of the world would make it to eighteen years old.

• Love
Reactions: demuic, Rn110bg101, Deleted member 4993 and 1 other person
bloomingdark

bloomingdark

Alex
Jan 24, 2019
Actually they can, many living beings commit suicide due to environmental problems or maybe disabilities they have, cells even commit suicide is called apoptosis , cells recognize that they are no longer useful and kill themselves .

Reactions: demuic and Spitfire
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
Animals do commit suicide, as other have said. A lot of time it's something as simple as they stop eating or drinking due to injury or illness.

I had a mouse as a kid. One night it chewed a whole in its low belly right down to organs and bled to death.

Rn110bg101

Rn110bg101

I want to go home
Apr 18, 2019
If animals can experience depression, it's not surprising they could understand the concept of suicide, or at least a barebones definition of it. Who knows what's going on inside their heads?

S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
I had a Dog. He was a great dog, a German Shepherd Dog.. He was socialized on how to behave around babys and infants, and a ton of other people during his younger years. He loved going into hospitals and nursing homes with me, and knew to rest his head on their laps and what to do etc.. When I was much younger, I would do the same thing with our family dogs together with my Mom.

My dog he stopped eating during the last days of his life. His xrays and abdomin looked bad. He was very sick. He wanted to be near me in the end (made no efforts to try and hide).

I took him to a veterinarian and had him put to rest when it looked like it was time.

Reactions: Rn110bg101
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Deers tend to be skittish animals, so they go in opposite directions not knowing that there might be danger on the other side. The other deer followed the first one probably because of herd mentality. If leader of the pack does this, I must do this.

You can tell when a cat is on it's last life, it usually will try to find a quiet place away from their home to die. My neighbors cat did this last week, we found his body over the weekend in a drainage ditch in the far back corner of their property. He was dying of some kind of wasting disease, stopped eating anything, and had a weak meow. Sad to think about.

M

Moon Flower

I'll soon be sleeping sound
Oct 14, 2019
I used to have a dog that I had to leave behind with an abusive ex (not abusive to the dog, but to me). This dog was very attached to me and I heard after I left all he really did was mope and lay in piles of clothes I left behind. The dog ended up running into traffic within 2 months of me leaving. I wish I could've taken him with me but it was a situation where my ex wouldn't let me leave unless he thought I was coming back. I actually only got out because my mom had just ctb and I said I had to go home for a bit to make funeral arrangements

• Hugs
Reactions: Spitfire
TattiQueen

TattiQueen

Student
Sep 12, 2020
when my cat was sick she left the house on a really cold night and we never saw her again. i see dogs when there are old or they lose someone like there owner they will starve themselve

Cats and Dogs for sure do this. It is to protect the owners, to an extent, since they can tell they are dying or extremely sick. My 10 yo cat just this past week left for four days and FINALLY came home. She was extremely emaciated, disheveled, and weak. She's already small but just looked extremely unwell. She had been extremely extremely ill, and I assume thought she would die. I had a pup who was sick, we were quite sure it was parvo, she went out one day and never came back. I recently had a cat do the same thing, although he couldn't get outside so he hid in the basement best he could. Contrary to belief, cats are very loving and affectionate to their owners , but to the owners that they choose as that's how cats are. We do not choose them.