wonderworld

wonderworld

w̶o̶n̶d̶e̶r̶w̶o̶r̶l̶d̶
Jun 5, 2020
what's your dream job???

(as in nothing was stopping you eg, mental illness, money etc)

• Hugs
Reactions: deadgirlahsatan, Deleted member 4993, death137 and 2 others
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
Bakery.

• Love
Reactions: Toonloon, deadgirlahsatan, Isaiah and 9 others
Throwawaysoul

Throwawaysoul

Mage
May 14, 2018
Running a cat rescue or anything with no co-workers.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Toonloon, deadgirlahsatan, antigone_iris and 10 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Sitting home and doing absolutely nothing meaningful or productive.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Shewasnomore, gottago222, Isaiah and 17 others
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
This is going to sound technical, even verging on geeky....

I've been working for myself for a few years doing accounting.

To be totally honest, I'll admit that I don't add as much value to businesses as I could. This is because I spend 90% of my time doing basic bookkeeping, VAT or payroll tasks that can very easily be done in house using modern accounting software, rather than business planning or other 'higher' stuff that I'd rather spend my time doing and could really help with.
I think getting me to do these easy tasks makes them feel 'more secure' in some way.

But this is where accounting firms take advantage of business owners: by convincing them to outsource basic tasks by making out that they're far more difficult and technical than they actually are!
And no, the business owner isn't saving money by freeing up their time - the things I'm talking about take no time at all, especially using modern cloud accounting software....which is where I'm going with this....

Accounting is one of those old school industries.
Software such as QuickBooks, Xero, Sage, etc has essentially been developed by accountants for accountants.
Access may be granted to users to allow them to send invoices, and record payments and expenses.

The layout and terminology may put business owners off - they feel that they're using a piece of software designed for accounting, rather than a piece of software from which they can easily run their business, but can be used by accountants in the background.
Occasionally you get a business owner with an actual interest in accounting (to some extent), and they find it easier.

But basically you have accountants working with accounting software companies to sell their products and services to business owners.

What is needed is a piece of software designed by businesses owners for business owners, with access granted to accountants where necessary.
It's difficult to explain what I mean by all of this without going into all the details, which I've kind of already started to do!

But long story short, I'd like to roll out a piece of software from which business owners and self employed people can run their business, which is easier to use, and has greater functionality; for example QuickBooks and Xero do not have functionality to prepare accounts to tax returns, yet more software is needed.

There are also specific issues with various pieces of software currently on the market, but I won't go into details.

So essentially the desire would be to 'democratise' accounting, so that accountants are only paid when actual technical advice is needed.

Yes, I'm the turkey that would vote for Christmas, but I care about the people I serve.

Sorry to bore you all to death.

Last edited:
Reactions: 224, Deleted member 4993, death137 and 3 others
Stick

Stick

Experienced
Aug 31, 2020
Concept artist

• Hugs
Reactions: S like suicide, antigone_iris, Disappointered and 2 others
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
That would be a great dream job, but since I can't choose that, a video game designer

• Hugs
Reactions: antigone_iris, Deleted member 4993, death137 and 3 others
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
I used to have my dream job but lost it in January when I became really mentally ill.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Bunyips, antigone_iris, death137 and 6 others
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
Oh ok. That sucks that you lost it :(
I hope one day I can go back, I did try over the spring time but it was too much for me and only managed one day. Felt like such a failure.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Stick, Matthias_k, Deleted member 1465 and 3 others
wonderworld

wonderworld

w̶o̶n̶d̶e̶r̶w̶o̶r̶l̶d̶
Jun 5, 2020
@BPD Barbie what was it like, im thinking of going into medicine /healthcare ?

Reactions: Deleted member 4993
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
I hope one day I can go back, I did try over the spring time but it was too much for me and only managed one day. Felt like such a failure.
You're not a failure. You tried your best. Hopefully you can go back.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Stick, death137 and 2 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
That would be a great dream job, but since I can't choose that, a video game designer
Well if I can't do that, then I'd want something I can do in an office where I don't have to think too hard.

• Hugs
Reactions: Disappointered, Deleted member 4993, Stick and 2 others
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
Well if I can't do that, then I'd want something I can do in an office where I don't have to think too hard.
That'd also be nice while getting paid big bucks lol

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Dr Iron Arc and death137
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Don't you work in a college at the moment?
Yep. I'm pretty close to that dream job with this current job I have except I don't have my own office. I just report to the front desk and wait for people to come ask me questions (which nobody does because...of the pandemic). I'd rather not have to deal with anybody besides maybe other coworkers though.

Edit: Also it's a part-time student job where I only work for minimum wage for 6 hours a week so it doesn't quite pay the bills sadly...

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and death137
okdoomer

okdoomer

Oct 2, 2020
^ This.
My dream job is no job. My second preference would involve the outdoors and nature: park ranger, wildlife biologist, conservationist, etc...

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: 𖣴 nadia 𖣴, Bunyips, deadgirlahsatan and 13 others
AJ95

AJ95

24/7 sylvia plath
Sep 3, 2020
My dream job which will literally never happen is being a model. I have a few friends who are and they're so pretty and elegant, I get so envious and jealous of them.

Unfortunately I'm hideous which is why no one will ever, in a million years, offer me that job.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Bunyips, deadgirlahsatan, antigone_iris and 9 others
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Full-time author. Actually possible, but not likely.

• Hugs
Reactions: Bunyips, deadgirlahsatan, DocNo and 6 others
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I guess I'm kind of doing my dream job. Or was, before depression stole it. But aside from that, in another life, I was working toward a degree in hopes of becoming a translator. Specifically Japanese. It fell apart when I moved to a place that didn't offer the rest of the language classes I needed to finish. I tried for years to learn solo and even do online courses, but I don't have the discipline for that. I really need an actual classroom.

When I was in elementary school, there were two things I wanted to do when I grew up. I was going to do them, no question: become a chef and a writer. I taught myself how to cook and was basically cooking for my whole family by the time I was 9. I did creative writing with a lot of success until high school. Then I just kind of stopped.

I decided being an actual chef was way more stressful than I cared for. I couldn't imagine having to cook perfectly for so many people on a deadline all the time. So that became just a hobby, but I loved it and was good at it.

I'd probably still be writing if it hadn't been for my creative literature teacher. She misinterpreted a story I wrote and told everyone I was possibly suicidal. I was not, in fact. At least not any more than any other angsty teenager. And the story wasn't about that at all. I developed an actual aversion to writing for a long time. At this point, I'm so out of practice, I can hardly string two sentences together. It used to be so easy...

But I still wanted to work with words. I realized at some point I'm pretty good at editing and rewriting other people's drafts. I struggle with ideas and stories now, but if someone else does it, I can usually figure out how to improve it. So that realization combined with the fact that I loved the Japanese language made me realize translation would be a lot of fun. Actually, what I really wanted to do in the beginning was manga and subtitles. But that was when it wasn't as widely available here, so it would have been very useful. I really just wanted more of what I liked, even if I had to do it myself. LOL

So that's the closest I came to an actual career or dream job. When I'm not busy not working now, I make and sell art and jewelry. I always feel funny saying that, because then people imagine diy arts and crafts. Which is fine, if that's what you like to do. But it's not at all what I'm into.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bunyips, AvaAdore, Stick and 4 others
puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
My job would be spending money, just splurge my wealth and contribute to small businesses.

• Hugs
Reactions: Disappointered, Deleted member 4993, Stick and 3 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Artist.
Dog walker.
Designing bog gardens.

• Hugs
Reactions: S like suicide, deadgirlahsatan, antigone_iris and 6 others
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
If government has any secret projects going that we don't know about and needs volunteers to be sent back in time well they wouldn't tell us but if they did I'd volunteer. If it killed me I don't care and if it worked and I was able to communicate with my past self it would stop me ever getting into the position where my dream job was to be sent back in time. Hence the grandfather paradox and why it'll never happen and I should just kill myself

Reactions: Disappointered, Deleted member 22624, Deleted member 4993 and 3 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Hence the grandfather paradox and why it'll never happen
At the risk of sneaking off topic for a second, I read this recently:
So just in case they do contact you, you might be okay :blarg: though TBH I wouldn't trust a time machine the government developed.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, death137 and Mr2005
Bootleg Astolfo

Bootleg Astolfo

Glorious Bean Plushie
Oct 12, 2020
Gun buildy boi. The world needs memey chauchat replicas and kits to turn every single rifle that has ever existed into a glorious chauchat.

Reactions: Wayfaerer, Disappointered, Deleted member 4993 and 2 others
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
At the risk of sneaking off topic for a second, I read this recently:
So just in case they do contact you, you might be okay :blarg: though TBH I wouldn't trust a time machine the government developed.
I saw that too. I still have a look from time to time. You searching for that yourself then or do you manage to live in the real world?

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Deleted member 1465