FadingSunshine

FadingSunshine

Nothing lasts forever.
Jul 8, 2023
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any good resources or good starting points for drawing, I've always admired artsy people and how they can have a mental image and make it a reality, but I don't really have a steady hand and I haven't been able to mentally visualize small details so my drawings always look weird. Thank you!

Reactions: LoiteringClouds
StellaSomnus

StellaSomnus

Dormies sicut stellae luceant
Aug 18, 2023
What kind of stuff are you drawing? It depends on what you want to draw.

I mostly draw anime girls, but the tutorials I use could apply on human drawings.

I sometimes just sketch first until I get to the point that I want, unless what I had in mind requires some objective criteria (example: arms and hand in specific pose, might need to refer to anatomy tutorials on arms and hands).

aticeret

aticeret

Jan 23, 2023
I'm taking art courses currently and been in school. Several recommendations: start with basics and then move on to more complex tasks such as drawing people or complete pictures in color. The basics are dull, you have to be ready for a challenge and you would probably loathe drawing cubes in perspective. However, that's okay and helps you build the absolutely necessary foundation for your future hobby or a career. Regarding resources, I recommend Sycra, Sinix Design, Marc Brunet and Proko on YouTube. Also Gottfried Bammes and Jenő Barcsay's anatomy books. Try looking for resources yourself, but be aware that there are tons of scammers who promise you'll be able to draw "within a week" or something, and that's total bullshit. What you need is a mentor who teaches perspective, form, value, space, color theory, lighting, composition, et cetera. Good luck.

FadingSunshine

FadingSunshine

Nothing lasts forever.
Jul 8, 2023
Nothing ultra complex, I just wish I'd be able to draw pencil sketches of simple characters and things that come to mind.
I'm taking art courses currently and been in school. Several recommendations: start with basics and then move on to more complex tasks such as drawing people or complete pictures in color. The basics are dull, you have to be ready for a challenge and you would probably loathe drawing cubes in perspective. However, that's okay and helps you build the absolutely necessary foundation for your future hobby or a career. Regarding resources, I recommend Sycra, Sinix Design, Marc Brunet and Proko on YouTube. Also Gottfried Bammes and Jenő Barcsay's anatomy books. Try looking for resources yourself, but be aware that there are tons of scammers who promise you'll be able to draw "within a week" or something, and that's total bullshit. What you need is a mentor who teaches perspective, form, value, space, color theory, lighting, composition, et cetera. Good luck.
Don't worry, I have no intention of going from knowing absolutely nothing to pro in a couple weeks, I would be happy if a sketch came out as a semblance of what I had in my mind within a couple months. Obviously it takes hard work and dedication. Thank you for the resources! I'm thinking of trying drawing during my free time.

• Love
Reactions: LoiteringClouds and aticeret