I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
Any takers?

Reactions: GentleJerk, odradek and Smart No More
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Ha. My little bro was big into the show when they bought it back with Christopher Eccleston and onward. Think he kind of grew out of it over time though. We visited the doctor who museum before that happened. It was a nice day out.

I remember the originals from my childhood. I never totally found my footing with it but did enjoy the unknown aspect of it. That element of 'anything can happen' and 'there's more to life than the mundane' aspects of it really fed into my youthful curiosity and desire for excitement and mental stimulation. To be honest I was already enveloped by Star Wars and nothing could compete but I took what I could where I could. Dipped a toe into Battle Star Gallacticca. A film called The Black Hole comes to mind. Flash Gordon. Couldn't do star trek tbh. God, there were quite a few things over the years but not many really hit the nail on the head. The memories are fun though.

How much of a whovian are you then? Go on spill your guts man. Do you have a stripy scarf? :))

Reactions: odradek
D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Fun fact: The Ninth Doctor is the best Doctor.

Reactions: rationaltake and odradek
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Who's the ninth doctor? David Tenant?

FWIW I wouldn't be judging if you had a stripey scarf btw. Everyone has their thing. Nothing wrong with that.

They are imaginative for sure and I like that element of it too. I'm a little picky/fussy about some of the actors/casting choices. I find them hard to invest in and suspend by disbelief which is important in scifi. There are some great episodes. I watched a lot of it with my brother. It was a weekly event for him and therefore us and I have fond memories because of that.

There was a spin off with Captain Jack. Torchwood. Worth a look. Bitty grittier and aimed at a more mature audience.

Last edited:
Reactions: rationaltake and odradek
rationaltake

rationaltake

Sep 28, 2021
Who's the ninth doctor? David Tenant?
Christopher Eccleston.
Ha. My little bro was big into the show when they bought it back with Christopher Eccleston and onward. Think he kind of grew out of it over time though. We visited the doctor who museum before that happened. It was a nice day out.

I remember the originals from my childhood. I never totally found my footing with it but did enjoy the unknown aspect of it. That element of 'anything can happen' and 'there's more to life than the mundane' aspects of it really fed into my youthful curiosity and desire for excitement and mental stimulation. To be honest I was already enveloped by Star Wars and nothing could compete but I took what I could where I could. Dipped a toe into Battle Star Gallacticca. A film called The Black Hole comes to mind. Flash Gordon. Couldn't do star trek tbh. God, there were quite a few things over the years but not many really hit the nail on the head. The memories are fun though.

How much of a whovian are you then? Go on spill your guts man. Do you have a stripy scarf? :))
Ha ha. No stripey scarf. But I did buy Dr Who Monthly in the past.

I watched the very first episode and loved the imagination and variety.

The show was very clever mixing science fiction and history. And the regeneration idea was pure genius. Which other show can thrive with literally anyone being cast as the linchpin?

Last edited:
Reactions: Smart No More and odradek
odradek

odradek

Mage
Sep 16, 2021
For the longest time I was a 10th Doctor guy, David Tennant is just a great actor imo. But I rewatched the 12th Doctors run recently and I think he took my top spot. I've only watched the new run from 2005 (?) and I'd rank my Doctors as follows:

12th
10th
9th
11th

Haven't seen the 13th's run yet because I can barely watch anything anymore unfortunately.
Christopher Eccleston.

Christopher Eccleston Yes GIF by Doctor Who

• Love
Reactions: GentleJerk and rationaltake
rationaltake

rationaltake

Sep 28, 2021
FWIW I wouldn't be judging if you had a stripey scarf btw. Everyone has their thing. Nothing wrong with that.

They are imaginative for sure and I like that element of it too. I'm a little picky/fussy about some of the actors/casting choices. I find them hard to invest in and suspend by disbelief which is important in scifi. There are some great episodes. I watched a lot of it with my brother. It was a weekly event for him and therefore us and I have fond memories because of that.

There was a spin off with Captain Jack. Torchwood. Worth a look. Bitty grittier and aimed at a more mature audience.
Managed to delete my post!

Torchwood was good. Captain Jack had enough charisma to take the central role so it worked.
For the longest time I was a 10th Doctor guy, David Tennant is just a great actor imo. But I rewatched the 12th Doctors run recently and I think he took my top spot. I've only watched the new run from 2005 (?) and I'd rank my Doctors as follows:

12th
10th
9th
11th

Haven't seen the 13th's run yet because I can barely watch anything anymore unfortunately.

Christopher Eccleston Yes GIF by Doctor Who
I wish the ninth doctor hadn't left so soon. I liked his interactions with Rose and Captain Jack.

Sadly I'm the same as you and can't watch things so haven't seen much of the twelfth or thirteenth. I wish I could.

Last edited:
Reactions: odradek
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I'm not a huge fan of the show but I did some research some odd years back on lost media and media preservation and this show came up. Entire seasons of the show are lost and missing including what was regarded as the best season.

Fortunately some of the missing episodes were privately recorded and were tracked down over the years. Anyone sitting on one of these episodes is basically sitting on gold but at this point I doubt they recover many if any more of them.

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: Sakura94, odradek, Smart No More and 2 others
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
I'm not a huge fan of the show but I did some research some odd years back on lost media and media preservation and this show came up. Entire seasons of the show are lost and missing including what was regarded as the best season.

Fortunately some of the missing episodes were privately recorded and were tracked down over the years. Anyone sitting on one of these episodes is basically sitting on gold but at this point I doubt they recover many if any more of them.
Shit man, wish I had my betamax tape collection from childhood lol. That goldmine would be very welcome right now.

There were some great and really dark episodes in the older series'. I remember being pretty freaked out at times though some of that would be down to my youthful innocence. I do wish I could rewatch some of those.

It's not the same but you may enjoy the latest marvel series called Moon knight. I enjoyed marvel comics as a kid but haven't fully got onboard with the modern marvel franchise. Moon knight has caught my attention though and it has some british charm that you could enjoy as a fan of Dr who. Thought I'd mention it.

Like you guys I really struggle to watch things now. I used to be a bit of an armchair critic and loved analysing films and media. Now I enjoy it on a mostly base level but now and then something will kind of speak to me if It's familiar enough or catches me at the right moment. Sucks but I'm trying to brute force my way back to my old self.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: rationaltake, odradek and Brick In The Wall
rationaltake

rationaltake

Sep 28, 2021
Shit man, wish I had my betamax tape collection from childhood lol. That goldmine would be very welcome right now.

There were some great and really dark episodes in the older series'. I remember being pretty freaked out at times though some of that would be down to my youthful innocence. I do wish I could rewatch some of those.

It's not the same but you may enjoy the latest marvel series called Moon knight. I enjoyed marvel comics as a kid but haven't fully got onboard with the modern marvel franchise. Moon knight has caught my attention though and it has some british charm that you could enjoy as a fan of Dr who. Thought I'd mention it.

Like you guys I really struggle to watch things now. I used to be a bit of an armchair critic and loved analysing films and media. Now I enjoy it on a mostly base level but now and then something will kind of speak to me if It's familiar enough or catches me at the right moment. Sucks but I'm trying to brute force my way back to my old self.
I hope you get back to being able to watch things again.

Reactions: Smart No More