thirdrailer

thirdrailer

Oct 24, 2020
When I was a child, I wrote a suicide note, opened the second story window, and sat in the window frame contemplating jumping out. I don't remember if I opened the window screen, but I don't think I did. My mother found me and got me out of the window frame. I feel like this doesn't count. There was no weapon. There were no drugs. There was no hospitalization. I didn't "do" the act. I was interrupted before the act and we'll never know if I would have thrown myself out the window.

Several people have described semi-colon tattoos, and I've been thinking of getting one but feel like a poser. I feel like attempts I hear about all involve an act that did not achieve death but would have but for "poor technique" or being found between the act and death. I really want to be validated and have it count but I don't want to be disrespectful to survivors of "real" attempts if mine doesn't count.

• Hugs
Reactions: the_path_of_sorrows, lucyna, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
sadwriter

sadwriter

Hanging in there
Aug 29, 2023
Honestly, I think it's silly for people to try to gatekeep the semicolon suicide symbol. It's your potential tattoo and your story. If you've struggled with suicidality and you identify with the semicolon, then it's nobody else's business whether or not your situation "counts" imo. (And for what it's worth, the fact that you considered jumping out of a window as a kid and got that close sounds like a big enough deal to me to warrant getting the tattoo, regardless of the fact that you didn't do the literal act itself.)

• Love
Reactions: lucyna, Praestat_Mori and thirdrailer