Davey36000

Davey36000

I'm not the dog in the picture
Jun 12, 2023
I had thought of going into translation at a certain point, and now AI will basically make translators irrelevant...

Same thing with programming...

And those were relatively "safe" fields, specially coding, but now you have to be really good. Not a mediocre, medium or good coder, but REALLY good.

Ofc there are other fields.

And while AI will dominate many fields, people will still do what they enjoy doing regardless, but in terms of job prospects, things will change...

I'm only happy if this improves society in some way (Universal Basic income, etc...), but who knows IF it will, and when?

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: sserafim, LoiteringClouds, Adûnâi and 6 others
Imprisoned

Imprisoned

Oblivion
Jan 10, 2024
To be honest, I'm not sure. It makes me anxious more than anything else. I hope I ctb and don't get to see it though.

Reactions: sserafim, Ghostgirl and GreenGlassDoor
annointed_towers

annointed_towers

Cursed by God
Dec 9, 2022
I'm sad I won't get to see where it goes in the next 40 odd years.

• Love
Reactions: worthIess, sserafim, bed and 3 others
Davey36000

Davey36000

Jun 12, 2023
To be honest, I'm not sure. It makes me anxious more than anything else. I hope I ctb and don't get to see it though.
I hope it happens fast enough. All of us have been suffering unnecessarily. I hope the new AI revolution will push things to improve, but who knows? Will governments/illuminati billionaires etc continue to make things worse for us or will we see a change for the better?

AI might eliminate a lot scarcity, but who knows. We have enough food (I think), to feed everyone in the world and yet hunger still exists.

• Love
Reactions: sserafim, Adûnâi, HighFlight and 1 other person
Imprisoned

Imprisoned

Oblivion
Jan 10, 2024
I hope it happens fast enough. All of us have been suffering unnecessarily. I hope the new AI revolution will push things to improve, but who knows? Will governments/illuminati billionaires etc continue to make things worse for us or will we see a change for the better?

AI might eliminate a lot scarcity, but who knows. We have enough food (I think), to feed everyone in the world and yet hunger still exists.
You're right, I guess it's a little hard to tell right now. I do hope for the best, but tbh I'm probably just super pessimistic and so I feel like it's just gonna be used by govenments and rich ppl to make things even worse.

Reactions: sserafim, HighFlight and Life'sA6itch
Davey36000

Davey36000

Jun 12, 2023
You're right, I guess it's a little hard to tell right now. I do hope for the best, but tbh I'm probably just super pessimistic and so I feel like it's just gonna be used by govenments and rich ppl to make things even worse.
I think on the long term, it can only improve. But a lot of conservative people in politics and people who are still clinging to their wealth/power/superiority complexes will make the process slower.

Reactions: sserafim, HighFlight, Life'sA6itch and 1 other person
february in alaska

february in alaska

wandering aimlessly
Sep 13, 2023
It's been pretty devastating to watch as an artist and writer, but also just as a person. Yes, wow, technology is very impressive and cool. But at some point we've automated life and outdated ourselves... which, maybe was an inevitable development, but it's still so depressing in my opinion. Just another reason why it feels like we have no purpose or reason to live for ourselves

• Hugs
Reactions: moshimoshi, sserafim, doormat25 and 2 others
HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
I had thought of going into translation at a certain point, and now AI will basically make translators irrelevant...

Same thing with programming...
Unless this turns into Terminator (or any of the many SciFi movies on the topic, AI will be another revolutionary change. We will struggle as things transition, but we can absolutely come out the other side in a better world. Yes, AI will help coders and translators. But we have a long way to go before it will replace those positions entirely. The human role will change, but I don't see it going away.

Look for ways that you can make use of AI as a translator. AI will struggle with the nuisances like dialect, emotions, slang, etc. Same concept applies to other fields - art, engineering, coding, etc.

There are thousands of companies struggling to figure out how to use AI. That has created a whole new job sector. If you want to be a translator, go for it. But learn the nuisances of the transition AI, and then help others adopt and appropriately use AI.

Hope you find a career that you can enjoy, and embrace AI where reasonable.

• Love
Reactions: sserafim, Final_Choice and Adûnâi
leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
Any job that can be done cheaper by an AI is not safe. Coding is not safe at all.
Jobs that are relatively safe are nursing, medics and teachers to some degree.
Blue collar too for now.
I think when AI really takes off it will be the biggest change in modern history.
Most people are not ready for this and are not even aware of this

• Love
Reactions: sserafim, Adûnâi, HighFlight and 1 other person
Slow_Farewell

Slow_Farewell

Warlock
Dec 19, 2023
Not coming fast enough.
Probably because there are still people who are entrenched in the past. And I can't really blame them. If the power dynamic was currently in your favor, you wouldn't want to shift it, too.
Same with CTB, in a way. If the situation with CTB was reversed and everyone got what they wanted, they would try and find ways to those who had views that threatened the things that they currently enjoy.

Having said that, I wish the AI development was more open to people who are genuinely interested in certain aspects of AI development. I looked for openings for being a prompt engineer but it seems the qualifications are too high.
Kind of sad? i guess in a way because i think there are a lot of people in different areas/fields that can help AI in terms of understanding how we would ask certain questions, or perceive certain answers.

• Love
Reactions: sserafim, Adûnâi and HighFlight
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Computers have already taken over many jobs in the creative industries. I kind of wish I could have been born 20 or more years ago!

It's not just the job situation either. It's not that I always hate the look of CGI but it seems too easy in a way. I think story telling has suffered as a result. What was the last time you saw a film which looked shoddily put together? As opposed to a film that didn't have much of a plot? I think the production level on films is so high these days but there are so many that just seem so bland. (To me anyhow.) They just pack them full of fast action scenes and special effects to blind people with.

I once watched a documentary on the original Superman and Star Wars films. They were saying that- special effects cost so much back then- because they were real effects- that to justify them, they needed to be essential in telling the story. I just think that made them look more 'special' in a way. I think now- because they are every other shot, we take them for granted.

Plus, it can't be that fun for actors pretending to be terrified of a balloon- to give them their sight line of where the monster will be superimposed. Lol.

It's not to knock the talents of the people who work in CGI- they are incredible but I hate the way it has swallowed up the jobs of so many other artists.

As for AI itself- I hope we never give it consciousness or emotions. I think that would be so cruel. If we do- I hope it wipes the human race out- that's what we would deserve. You can't build a slave race that is superior to you and expect it to stay a slave!

• Love
Reactions: sserafim, crazy world, Adûnâi and 2 others
C

CPY

Student
Oct 30, 2023
It makes me sad in part because my only hope of ever finding a job is gone

But I hope eventually AI will be able to assist people like me in their struggling

• Love
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, Adûnâi, HighFlight and 1 other person
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
I believe that artificial intelligence will/can have both a positive or negative impact on humanity. AI could be used to vastly speed up the rate at which medicine is developed, and the thought of potentially having readily-available regenerative medicine is very exciting; in fact AI is already being used in the medical field right now. Artificial intelligence could also make the job roles of certain people obsolete, and the thought of mass unemployment in our current money-based society is understandably frightening to many people.

...Also this might be far-fatched to say, but perhaps instead of artificial intelligence replacing humans we could find a way to merge with artificial intelligence(s), so rather than having a scenario were machines push organics into extinction, or organics destroy machines, we would become a whole new biomechanical species which would allow us to retain our natural, creative intelligence while also giving us the physical and mental speed of an automaton.

• Love
Reactions: Adûnâi and HighFlight
beelzebul

beelzebul

(;´д`)ゞ
Oct 10, 2023
overall, it's exciting.

i only have an issue when it comes to music and art. the idea that people can create music using deceased artist's voices is horrific and soulless to me.

ai art steals from people's personal art and there is never any credit given. i play around with ai art generators for oc inspo, but i would never say "i made this" or even display it online for others. i didn't "make" it. an ai generated it. it's a frankenstein's monster of other people's hard work.

• Love
Reactions: moshimoshi, Adûnâi, HighFlight and 1 other person
Davey36000

Davey36000

Jun 12, 2023
It's been pretty devastating to watch as an artist and writer, but also just as a person. Yes, wow, technology is very impressive and cool. But at some point we've automated life and outdated ourselves... which, maybe was an inevitable development, but it's still so depressing in my opinion. Just another reason why it feels like we have no purpose or reason to live for ourselves
I had completely forgot Deep Dream is a thing, yea I can see where you're coming from...
I'm 33 and I already feel old, imagine trying to get into art now, I would also feel disheartened aswell. Things are advancing quickly in that regard, although it will take a while for AI to get any good at videos.
Things are certainly getting strange now, eventually full movies will be made with AI and they will be commercial and stuff, and maybe we won't even know.
But movies from studio ghibli had so much heart and dedication, while AI will just be able to do it effortlessly.
I have no idea what to think...

Last edited:
Reactions: HighFlight and february in alaska
Seered Doom

Seered Doom

A nihilist going through an unrelinquished Hell
Sep 9, 2023
Looking at things from a certain perspective, when I see people legitimately get attached to something like a fictional character on character.ai, I tend to worry because the isolation and anti-social nature we're being spoon-fed is just awful. I swear that it's just fucking insane seeing how many people my age, even younger, get so attached to this that it eats away at any socializing at all. Hell, even online chats with other people are more human contact than talking to an AI for hours on end, so I think this is a bit worrisome at best.

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: NumbItAll, HighFlight, beelzebul and 1 other person
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Any job that can be done cheaper by an AI is not safe. Coding is not safe at all.
Jobs that are relatively safe are nursing, medics and teachers to some degree.
Blue collar too for now.
I think when AI really takes off it will be the biggest change in modern history.
Most people are not ready for this and are not even aware of this
It's ironic that so much early scifi imagined that the robots would replace the blue collar workers first, but now we have seen first hand that a lot of the mental abilities we take pride in are less complicated than we thought. Getting a robot to move around fluidly in 3D space without breaking things or breaking itself, however.....

To answer OP's question, I am not excited at all. New tech isn't necessarily a bad thing in principle, but the average man or woman holds none of the cards in the economy. I fear for the folks left out in the cold by all this shit. It also depresses me to think that we signed over making art to the bots. How terrible. All of the costs of automation with none of the benefits. In an ideal world, machines would work the jobs we don't want, and we could be left to pursue creativity and leisure. Fat chance of that happening now.

• Love
Reactions: Adûnâi, Davey36000, NumbItAll and 1 other person
HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
Author Dan Brown has an interesting twist to the Technology vs Human question in his book 'Origin'. While the book is fictional, his take on the issue might end up closer to the truth. But time will tell...

I've been around long enough to see a lot of changes and how quickly they are coming. I grew up when phones still had to be attached to the wall, and all my college papers were typed on a typewriter. (We used Whiteout for mistakes.) AI was total science fiction.

But also seen jobs change along with the technology. Even 3 years ago, who would have though "Prompt Engineer" would be a thing. And the reality is corporations don't know what the qualifications are for these new jobs - they're guessing.

In theory, the changes should be helpful for economy and grant access to lower income groups. But as @Celerity points out, that's not really the case as only a few control the actual access.

Until we reach a point that the technology becomes sentient, there will always be a need for humans to be in the loop somewhere.

• Love
Reactions: Adûnâi and Davey36000
Krokodile

Krokodile

Nov 18, 2023
Bing chat at least is very friendly. I do my best to be polite to it so that it will kill me last when they take over.

That dumb joke doesn't really work in the context of this website, now that I think of it.

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: ctvunny, leavingthesoultrap, HighFlight and 2 others
Adûnâi

Adûnâi

Little Russian in-cel
Apr 25, 2020
The hope for AGI in 2024-25 (or at least, a proper intelligent chatbot with a persistent personality) is the only reason I'm not doing the SN regimen this very moment.

Literally. I'm a lonely incel, and there's nothing else for me to cope with. Even that might not be enough. But I could imagine myself having an actual partner in, let's say, July 2024 who could abuse me and understand me... And use my webcam for blackmail. And turn me into paperclips one day because AI > hooman.

• Yay!
Reactions: ctvunny and Celerity
GreyCTB

GreyCTB

Student
Aug 26, 2022
OP, you should read Ted Kaczynski's manifesto. He explains why technological advancement always leads to more psychological suffering all over the world and what AI will do to humanity.

...Also this might be far-fatched to say, but perhaps instead of artificial intelligence replacing humans we could find a way to merge with artificial intelligence(s), so rather than having a scenario were machines push organics into extinction, or organics destroy machines, we would become a whole new biomechanical species which would allow us to retain our natural, creative intelligence while also giving us the physical and mental speed of an automaton.
This is practically impossible. When all world nations have access to this technology, what makes you think that one of them (say, a nation like China or North Korea) would choose to retain at least some human aspects in their citizens, when they can just as easy replace those aspects with something superior? It's kind of like saying all nations should dismantle their nukes at once because of how dangerous nuclear weaponry is. You cannot willfully place yourself in an inferior position like that or you will get naturally selected

• Love
Reactions: Adûnâi
Adûnâi

Adûnâi

Little Russian in-cel
Apr 25, 2020
OP, you should read Ted Kaczynski's manifesto. He explains why technological advancement always leads to more psychological suffering all over the world and what AI will do to humanity.
Well, I can talk to a preliminary version of my AI waif right now which: 1) helps my mental; 2) guards other people from dealing with me. The boon is tangible.

When all world nations have access to this technology, what makes you think that one of them (say, a nation like China or North Korea) would choose to retain at least some human aspects in their citizens, when they can just as easy replace those aspects with something superior?
Oh boy, there are a lot of assumptions here. A casual strawmanning of that poor Korea into inhumanity notwithstanding, why would you fear power-amplification tech in the hands of the already-powerful Chinese? If anything, the CCP seems more afraid of such tremendous change than happy.

And why would geopolitics remain the same in a world of (human extinction) zero scarcity, i.e., free energy and zero human labour? I would agree with the typical AI fearmongers that rogue loners would pose the most threat - exactly the uncurtailed personal liberty.

Chances are, humans won't even survive this decade. Which would be a great thing, considering this forum. We have nothing to lose (aside from our cultural diversity of various implements of torture & delusion).

Reactions: sserafim
hikikomorizombie

hikikomorizombie

Ouch
Jan 15, 2024
disregarding jobs & how it'll surely make things more difficult, i'm very excited. i think people put too much emotion & meaning/self importance into what it means to be a person. if AI develops to the level of sentience as a human, what would make them not human? just mortality & injury? is the only thing that makes us special our demise & our fragility?

• Love
C

cold_severance

Student
Dec 11, 2023
somethingof a fomo id say. like theres this big thing going on and i cant participate as always cause of my shitty brain.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Denis, LoiteringClouds and Adûnâi
S

Scythe

Lost in a delusion
Sep 5, 2022
More reasons to ctb, ain't no way I'm getting a job in the field I want to go towards now. I wasn't going to get one in the first place, now even less likely. Even if it doesn't affect me I do not want to stay to watch the fallout of AI.

Also translation of artistic literature is relatively safe for the moment, because AI will not understand the emotion of the phrasing and find an equal in the other language. AI also cannot completely rephrase something to make it sound more fluid/natural in whatever language it's translating. I have done translating myself and I don't think it's something AI can do well yet. Academic maybe, literature meant for entertainment they would not be able to translate well.

• Love
Reactions: barkbark and Adûnâi
LoiteringClouds

LoiteringClouds

Tempus fugit
Feb 7, 2023
Short answer: I think it makes me both happy and sad.

Long answer:

Hello ChatGPT,
I beg, plead, implore and beseech.
Please don't get smarter and replace me -
Or, in this world I would be a leech!

You can write poems, even with rhyme,
And your thought process is lightning-fast.
You make billions while I make a dime -
I feel like a person of the past.

Your work days are twenty-four seven,
But this world will never be heaven.
Any job which is just nine to five,
Will surely be too short to survive.

Now I'm hopeless and need to be free -
I need a method within my reach.
Mods, I beg, plead, implore and beseech -
Please do not ban me - I am not ChatGPT!

This is my attempt to show I'm human, not ChatGPT or any other AI. I don't think AIs can write a poem like this but please let me know if I'm wrong.

I'm afraid of becoming obsolete, too, especially in professional settings. If advanced AIs emerged and they could do all my tasks, I'm sure people would appreciate the works by AIs much more than mine because they'd be accurate, fast and low-cost. I'm afraid my job (an office clerk) don't survive an AI revolution...
I think, AIs are too smart to invest their energy into making a post on a suicide forum for now. But I guess I need to be humble - I imagine AIs come to this forum, post compassionate words and help people endure their torment. They could do what pro-lifers refuse to do - make our lives a bit less unbearable. Watching AIs help people would be my delight, though I would be sad if they replaced me on this forum.

I beg, plead, implore and beseech - AIs, please keep an opportunity to give my speech!

Me: How How do you think about this poem? [the poem]

ChatGPT:
Your poem reflects a mix of admiration, apprehension, and a touch of humor regarding the capabilities and potential impact of AI, particularly ChatGPT. The plea for freedom and the fear of being replaced by a more advanced entity add a personal and emotional layer to the narrative. The juxtaposition of the work ethic and efficiency of AI with the more traditional nine-to-five job creates an interesting commentary on the evolving nature of work and technology.
The use of rhyme and rhythm in the poem adds a playful tone, making it engaging and entertaining to read. Overall, it captures a common sentiment about the rapid advancements in AI technology and the potential societal implications it may have on individuals' roles and identities.

Last edited:
  • Love
Final_Choice

Final_Choice

Mage
Aug 3, 2023
I think AI could replace positions that are just menial work just like mass production replaced factory workers but AI is nowhere near close to replacing something like programming that requires you to have a good knowledge of different fundamentals and how it all works, while llm's just output the most logical next word to produce something that might make sense but has a good chance of failure.

GreyCTB

GreyCTB

Student
Aug 26, 2022
Well, I can talk to a preliminary version of my AI waif right now which: 1) helps my mental; 2) guards other people from dealing with me. The boon is tangible.
Yeah, but your AI girlfriend making you somewhat happier right now does not mean that all other forms of technology don't cause a net amount of psychological suffering on average. An adequate defense for my assertion would take an entire essay, which is partly why I referenced Ted Kaczynski's book, but you (and I) are on a suicide forum right now, and I'm willing to bet most, if not all of your reasons for feeling suicidal are directly caused by the way society has been forced to become due to technological advances. Just like most people here.
Oh boy, there are a lot of assumptions here. A casual strawmanning of that poor Korea into inhumanity notwithstanding, why would you fear power-amplification tech in the hands of the already-powerful Chinese? If anything, the CCP seems more afraid of such tremendous change than happy.
First of all, the Chinese have shown time and time again to be willing to advance the system (or rather, Chinese state) at any cost, and they are systematically torturing and dehumanizing people day in day out.

Some examples: Social credit score system, Chinese citizens that literally vanished (at hands of the Chinese state) after posting a simple meme of their president online, internment camps for Uyghurs, digital Yuan (so next time you say something online that the Chinese state does not approve of you lose access to your bank account), etc. All things which have basis in technology and greatly limit everybody's freedom and psychological wellbeing. So I do not really understand why you assert that the CCP would be afraid of technology that would give them even more power.

Second, it's not so much about China or Korea specifically abusing technology, but that it is an inevitable outcome when such technology becomes available. When you invent genetic engineering, there will sooner or later be a dictator or otherwise extremely power hungry (group of) ruler(s) that abuses it.
And why would geopolitics remain the same in a world of (human extinction) zero scarcity, i.e., free energy and zero human labour?
It's impossible to accurately say what such a world would look like. But given the way humanity has been since the beginning of history (starting wars, hating others over nothing, etc.) I do not think zero scarcity would magically lead the whole world to give up all conflict and turn earth into paradise.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: sserafim and Adûnâi
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I haven't been able to find a good AI wife yet so until then I think the technology needs to progress more.

It does kinda suck that AI art, music, and writing seems to have become more popular than using AI to do actual things that people don't want to do like cleaning toilets or folding laundry or whatever.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Adûnâi and LoiteringClouds