N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Though it is no general law. There has to be a certain balance in my case. When I am extremely suicidal I usually have other things in my mind. I am still creative but usually I only talk about suicide then. However I also tried to give therapists a glimpse how it looks like in my concscioussness and many were shocked. They were really surprised how often a person can think about suicide. I could not stop talking about it or planning it. I felt huge pressure to act on it. But this is another story.
I wanted to say when I am suffering too much I barely can use the pain in a productive way. I am just too crippled and agitated in order to use the potential to sublimate one's feelings.

I am not fully sure whether sublimation fits what I am refering to. I don't mean Freud's defintion. I just want to say that a crisis or pain can sometimes be steered into a useful direction. One can sublimate one's own suffering to create something. I think a lot of art was created by that. I am bipolar and some say bipolar people are more creative. I did not really think I was creative before the people in this forum gave me this feedback. In my usual daily life I am not that creative.

Currently I suffer less because I have more freetime. The anxiety and stress levels are lower. I feel less pressure. And exactly that pressure can be used in a productive way. It is a horrendous life quality but ruminating about my pain is a good source for ideas. I feel so many different feelings and emotions. Usually I work pretty hard but when I take short breaks there come new ideas for threads. Life is so incredibly complex and there are so many things to consider. There is like a need in my soul for silence. For moments of reflections. And moments in which turn introspectively and analyze my feelings. I use that as a strategy to keep my sanity up. Usually when I am extremely unhappy and at the same time under huge pressure I can turn either manic or psychotic. So I try to track my mood to prevent a relapse. For example increasing the medication can help when it is only a temporary state.

Do you ever felt like you could use your own suffering to create something?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: CTB Dream
pharma

pharma

Mar 4, 2023
I tend to write more when I'm at my worst. It's like I have to turn that suffering into something real and tangible. personally i think its because everyone in my life tells me its "in my head", but if i write/ draw about it... it makes it "real". i think your perspective is interesting. i don't think i'm creative because of my suffering, i just like to express it. but maybe thats the same thing

• Hugs
M

mmoq13

dumbass
Mar 1, 2023
if you are already talented yeah you can channel that suffering into something creative, but if you're talentless like me it would do nothing to your already nonexistent creativity

• Hugs
Reactions: CTB Dream and Wojaczek
Fwompje

Fwompje

life is cruel and time heals nothing
Feb 23, 2023
For me, yes. Most of my art is very emotional. But when I get depressed I'm not able to think or do anything with art.

• Hugs
Reactions: CTB Dream and Wojaczek
wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
Not for me. I have to be doing pretty well (for me, anyhow) to be able to manage anything creative.

• Hugs
Georg

Georg

Experienced
Feb 25, 2023
Yes, but only to a certain point. If you are suffering so hard that you can't even leave your bed, there is no way of being creative. You can't do or think anything at that point

• Hugs
U

Unending

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2022
It often feels like suffering through debilitating depression gives me a lot to say/release but I don't have the energy to make anything out of it most of the time. There are small windows of time where I can force myself to get up and utilize this but most of the time it's really depressing knowing that I would prefer to be creative but am incapacitated. I never really feel better after making art though, usually just really exhausted.

• Hugs
zephenix

zephenix

Feb 13, 2023
I think so when I write because it comes from the innermost.

• Hugs
CTB Dream

CTB Dream

Injury damage disabl hard talk no argu make fun et
Sep 17, 2022
This complex, exp suffer give matrl art do, can write story etc but als nobody able, this need know how art also need empathy imagn etc.

but tell truth sffr no neccs, can instd use smpl rule als chllng, exmp if draw say this not use red clr this chllng make rstrct can make cretv. Music exmp say not use this note, this make more crtv put chllng rule etc. No need suffer can put rstrct chllng rule etc make crtv, also if no exp can see othr ppl work