E

ebg

Sep 30, 2024
Hello everyone, I wanted to ask whether Seroquel acts as an anti-emetic, as many of the anti-emetics recommended on here are also antipsychotics. I'm currently in the psych ward (on a day pass) and I'm being prescribed Seroquel. AFAIK, Seroquel and Olanzapine both have similar ways of working (blocking dopamine), so should I ask my psychiatrist to prescribe me Olanzapine instead? I have seen Olanzapine recommended as an anti-emetic, but never Seroquel. I'm afraid my psychiatrist will become suspicious if I ask for Olanzapine. Maybe I can fake some side effects from taking Seroquel and then ask to change antipsychotic medication.

penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me đź’™
Nov 1, 2023
You need to block the D2 receptor specifically. But it wears off faster with this drug, do you'd be safer getting a stronger one. Doctors never hesitate when prescribing APs, just tell doc your quetiapine 'doesn't work'.
Serial PET scans evaluating the D2 receptor occupancy of quetiapine have demonstrated that quetiapine very rapidly disassociates from the D2 receptor.
Assuming that our findings in control subjects are valid for patients with schizophrenia, the study supports the view that quetiapine, like the prototype atypical antipsychotic clozapine, may show antipsychotic effect at lower D2 receptor occupancy than typical antipsychotics.
Interestingly, quetiapine has been shown to occupy approximately 30% of D2 receptors at therapeutic doses. To explain the apparent discrepancy, Kapur proposed the "kiss and run" hypothesis. In a series of studies they found that in contrast to other antipsychotics, quetiapine had a more rapid "run-off", or rapid dissociation, from D2 receptors.

Reactions: ebg
asleepordead?

asleepordead?

Sep 24, 2023
You need to block the D2 receptor specifically. But it wears off faster with this drug, do you'd be safer getting a stronger one. Doctors never hesitate when prescribing APs, just tell doc your quetiapine 'doesn't work'.
Hi, I've been trying to figure out if Promethazine would also work as an anti-emetic? I have quite a lot of it as it was prescribed for help with sleep, however I've also noticed that it can be used as an anti-emetic and sometimes an antipsychotic. From a bit of research I see it acts as a dopamine blocker similar to other anti-emetics recommended here, however I haven't yet had a concrete answer as to its efficacy for SN. Do you know anything about it that you could share with me? Thanks

E

ebg

Sep 30, 2024
Thank you kindly for your reply. My psychiatrist switched me to Olanzapine. WEHOO!

N

nibbleone

Student
Oct 14, 2023
How about Olanzapine?