AshClouds

AshClouds

In time I started growing inward.
Apr 10, 2023
I have a dog, and when he was a puppy he was so tiny. Everything was new to him, he was curious about everything, and so sweet and innocent. He used to jump in my lap when I sat Indian style. Every time someone walked up to him, he'd roll over on his back so they can his belly.

Those few months I was filled with joy.

I still love this dog, but I don't get the feeling of joy anymore.

Maybe its because he had to live with another family member for a bit and I didn't get to see him, maybe its because the glow faded, maybe he's grown and not so curious about everything, maybe its because my depression did get worse.

I don't know, I still have affection for my dog, but just still feel deeply depressed.

What about you? Has your little friend helped you with your depression?

• Love
Reactions: M0nolith, Lavender Dreams, Praestat_Mori and 6 others
Huntfish34

Huntfish34

Enlightened
Mar 13, 2020
Oh yeah. Without a Doubt, used to have 7 dogs but now down to 2. They can be a Huge help when in times of need, I appreciate that much. They aren't called man's best friend for nothing !

I'll post a pic of them later if that's ok, I understand if not. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and The anhedonic one
qw3rty259

qw3rty259

๐•ญ๐–Ž๐–Œ ๐•ฑ๐–†๐–™ ๐•ท๐–†๐–Ÿ๐–ž ๐•ต๐–š๐–Ž๐–ˆ๐–ž ๐•ฎ๐–”๐–ˆ๐–โœจ
Jun 19, 2023
Nah, I don't get it when people say things like that. I have a cat. Sure, it's interesting and sometimes funny to watch him doing things, but for the most part it's just additional house chores and spendings: buy a food, wash him, keep him healthy, clean the blankets from fur, go to the veterinarian sometimes, pet and brush him... I picked up him from the street when I was 12 and didn't really understand that having a cat isn't only fun all the time and mom didn't bother to explain this to me at the time. If I be honest, sometime I think, that it would be more convenient to not have him.
I picked him up as a kitten, because he was the weakest one among his siblings and probably was going to die, if not from starving, then just because the neighbors would soon throw the box away (that is what exactly happened). So I kinda feel the connection to him, but my world view had changed, and I'm not sure if it's really a good thing that we saved him and he got to live a long life. But that's another story...
Generally, having him wouldn't stop me from suicide and his existance doesn't help during depressing periods if not making it worse, because It's like a burden, cause you have to care about it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: consider, conarc, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
iLikeFrogs

iLikeFrogs

Most likely dissociating
May 5, 2023
She really did help me a lot, actually saved my life even hah. It's just so comforting that you have someone following you, staying with you when you're down and love you unconditionally. She was my motivation to get out of bed because I knew that ni matter how bad I was, I couldn't just leave her be and I knew if situation was switched that she would do the same.

• Love
Reactions: AshClouds, Lavender Dreams, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
Parasitic

Parasitic

Tew
Jun 16, 2023
Yes 100% I believe pets can help with depression, I've always found it easier to be emotional towards animals/pets. Call me a loony but I think some animals can sense depression in a person, a place I go too (not giving too much info) they have 2 cats and 1 of them really loves me, because I don't go there all too frequently I go when I've had good and bad weeks, I've noticed when I'm having a really bad week and really struggling the cat will not leave me alone, constantly following me around, every time I sit down instantly jumps up showing signs of affection and being loving. Again maybe I'm making something out of nothing but it seriously feels like this cat can see straight through everything I project outwards and knows what's happening on the inside and I absolutely adore her and it 100% helps.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Lavender Dreams, Praestat_Mori, chloramine and 3 others
TheRainyDaysStay

TheRainyDaysStay

Ferret Lover
Jun 20, 2023
I don't think having a pet will cure a depression but I think having one can help a lot. I used to almost always be in a deep depression but when I got my ferret it felt so much better. He's always there to greet me when I come home, and I can talk to him without judgmental comments. In a world where I felt so alone it felt nice to have someone by my side.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: FormerlyFe(IV), Lavender Dreams, Praestat_Mori and 3 others
raccoonjk

raccoonjk

given up on life
Jun 23, 2023
When i used to have a pet or whenever i'm around pets, its almost healing in a way. Animals have always made me feel better, even though they wont fix you completely, they can make you feel happier. It dont know why i feel happier around pets but maybe i just feel safer and calmer because i know it wont try to hurt me.

• Hugs
Reactions: FormerlyFe(IV), Lavender Dreams, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
The anhedonic one

The anhedonic one

Dead inside
May 20, 2023
Yes. Pets give unconditional love and help ease the symptoms of depression.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Huntfish34
Livingvsdying25

Livingvsdying25

Enlightened
Dec 8, 2019
I really do think pets help with healing in general. When I first moved away from home to a group home they had a cat that I really connected with. The first like 3 days when I was there I just cried and the cat stayed with me. I used to have a severe cat allergy but after 3 days with him I am no longer allergic to cats (most of em at least & as long as I don't touch my face ๐Ÿ˜…)

My friend has a cat (its a she) and I've only been there twice but everytime the cat would follow me around. The last time I went I would leave the door open a lil/enough for the cat to come in and she would constantly check on me, sleep in the room with her belly exposed, once she jumped on the bed and scared me bc I had headphones in. It seems like she was doing that often/checking on me constantly. Apparently when I left the cat walked into the room looked around and walked out XD.

All this to say I am obsessed with cats and I think the majority of em can sense our emotions.

I am really wanting to adopt a cat. Maybe I will next month.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lavender Dreams, Praestat_Mori, Huntfish34 and 1 other person
Obliviate

Obliviate

Abandon All Hope
Aug 13, 2022
Honestly, Yes and No. Having pets is a lot of work, responsibility and commitment. It's like having a child. Meaning you have to deal with illnesses, dealing with rude vets and pet staff, medical malpractice, lots of corruption, and the most fucked up about it is that it is VERY expensive. Society does not give af about pets. They consider them as property instead of living so if your pet gets sick and you don't have thousands of dollars to pay upfront right away, that's it. They get euthanized. Pet insurance companies are a HUGE SCAM. It really is down to luck. I already lost one kitten from greedy corrupted vets business which literally tore my soul apart and had medical malpractice on another cat.

So in a way yes, they are my soulmates, my children and I would do anything for them, even die but I can't deny that dealing with all the problems have increased my depression and suicidality by a lot and not because of the actual pets but the people surrounding it. If I would have known what goes into having pets, I would have never gotten them and would have just donated to the animal shelters, only because I lack the privilege, money and luck so now my pets are suffering because of my bad luck.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: WhyWasIBorn, pole, Lavender Dreams and 3 others
lokabe82

lokabe82

To infinity and beyond
Jun 16, 2023
No my dog does not help with my depression but he does bring me a lot of happiness either way (if that makes sense at all).

• Hugs
Reactions: WhyWasIBorn, pole, FormerlyFe(IV) and 6 others
S

seaspray

Jun 13, 2023
Just stroking my cat calms my nervous system.The purity of animals is deeply healing to be around

• Hugs
Reactions: pole, FormerlyFe(IV), Lavender Dreams and 3 others
C

chloramine

Arcanist
Apr 18, 2022
Somewhat. There are definitely days when it helps, but it's also extra work. Pets need attention back and when you don't have that to give it's not fair to them. I still live with my family so it's not all up to me which is good because my cat loves to play and I just don't have the energy for that some days. I love animals, but if I manage to move out I won't be getting a pet because I don't trust myself to be able to consistently meet their needs.

• Hugs
Reactions: pole and Praestat_Mori
Lavender Dreams

Lavender Dreams

serial vapist
Nov 5, 2022
To me it was pretty evident that having cats around did help me, even much more now, that they're not staying with me for the time being.

While it can't fully replace human contact, it's still nice the way they bring a greater sense of belonging and connection. I found that from them I learned how to appreciate the simple things, like sitting and relaxing in the sunshine when we have good weather. The responsibility part can be helpful too, it forces you to get out of bed and do something no matter how shit the day is, and I find the start is always the most difficult.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: pole, FormerlyFe(IV) and AshClouds
fiftyfiftyclown

fiftyfiftyclown

Jun 30, 2023
No my dog does not help with my depression but he does bring me a lot of happiness either way (if that makes sense at all).

I think it's the same for me.
I love my cat. Seeing her makes me smile, she brings me joy. But i wouldn't say she's on the list of things preventing me from CTB. Pets can improve my mood but don't do anything for the long-term "depression."

• Hugs
Reactions: pole and FormerlyFe(IV)
FormerlyFe(IV)

FormerlyFe(IV)

Snapped.
Jun 27, 2023
I have three cats. My first cat actually made my depression WORSE.

I adopted a kitty. But to me, it was a stranger in my house, and back then I was VERY paranoid, and had no energy. I was lonely during Covid but also wanted to be left alone.
I wanted to avoid the cat in my lowest lows. I left the cat alone outside of my room. I would get angry if it meowed for attention. I even lost my temper once when it ate my plant.

I eventually got used to them and by the end of the pandemic I was chill.
I then adopted another kitty, to make company, and then another kitty showed up while I was walking to the supermarket.

I love them all. I don't really play with them as much as I should, but they care and adore affection and they definitely lift my spirits a bit.
They're definitely not a cure for depression though. Just a nice bonus in life.

• Hugs
Reactions: pole
flyingrabbitt

flyingrabbitt

Jun 28, 2023
I have 5 dogs and 2 rabbits, one of the dogs is fully mine and sleeps in my room and both rabbits are mine. I do struggle to take care of them especially with big tasks but I have people to help me with that and I have insurance for if they get sick.
Spending time with them makes me happy, it's calming and well they're my children so my love for them is unconditional even if they're little shits sometimes

• Hugs
  • Love
S

squand

Jun 21, 2023
in my case, it has made things worse. I'm depressed over the burden of being a family father, sole provider to 5 people. Acquiring a dog only increased my responsibilities, and i feel overwhelmed. I sometimes hate the dog and wish he would get lost

• Hugs
I

I'm scared

Feb 16, 2021
Just stroking my cat calms my nervous system.The purity of animals is deeply healing to be around
Lost my cat in December
Everything worse now

• Hugs
Reactions: ToniFoxGirl!!, pole and FormerlyFe(IV)
J

josephk

Jun 19, 2023
I have a 3 year old German shepherd that means the world to me. He seems to intuit when I'm at my lowest because he keeps checking in on me or lies on my feet. He doesn't cure me but I do find him comforting

• Hugs
  • Love
fiftyfiftyclown

fiftyfiftyclown

Jun 30, 2023
My cat is super sweet and probably the only reliable thing that makes me happy on a day to day basis. But taking care of her makes me feel pathetic sometimes. Like in the I'm-becoming-an-old-cat-lady way...I'll get overwhelmed knowing the only living thing in this world who needs me and depends on me is just some random animal who would love any other person the exact same way if they fed and pet her enough.

• Love
Reactions: bijou and FormerlyFe(IV)
6sad6grl6

6sad6grl6

Killdozer In human form
Aug 19, 2023
I got my cat pretty much right when I met my boyfriend of 3 years, I think my cat has a lot of his personality. We had a little family. My cat makes me wish I agreed to have children with him sooner before he overdosed/CTB. I wish I treasured our family more.

Square251

Square251

Mar 19, 2023
Definitely. If it wasn't for my cat misty, I wouldn't even be here today. Even on the worst days, at least I can remind myself that every day I come home she's there by the door waiting for me.

C

conarc

Experienced
Aug 8, 2023
Its just another stupid cash cow to keep people running. Sorry to be so blunt.

Everyone tells us that we need to reduce Co2 emissions but every 2nd or 3rd household got a costly and annoying noisy trouble maker called dog or cat. Poor creatures.

Staying in this world just because someone likes to pet an animal while benefitting for the profits of pet food producers feels so wrong.

But yeah, in some cases it might help if depressions are temporary...

Last edited:
ToniFoxGirl!!

ToniFoxGirl!!

Maybe a race to nowhere, still hope that I win
Aug 20, 2023
I have a cat and I love him but he's not helped my depression at all. I don't consider him a burden, he's a nice boy and I feel bad I'm a bad mom to him.

• Hugs
Reactions: rationaltake
M

marshmallowfluff

Jan 23, 2023
Yes. I have 2 guinea pigs. They're the reason I get up in the morning and get out of bed during the day. They're not going to feed themselves. I'm hospitalised so I'm very lucky to be able to have them here with me ๐Ÿ’—

• Love
Reactions: Dayrain and rationaltake