F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I don't mean CTB failure- I expect that bothers everyone! I mean- failure in life.

Do you think you can fail in life? I imagine our nihilist members will say no because life has no meaning to begin with! Still- if you do worry about it- what is failure to you? Are there specific things you worry about eg. career, relationships, money, reputation. Do you want to CTB because you think you have or will fail or- simply don't have any chance of succeeding?

How much of it is dictated by others do you think? Is it really you who feels like you need to achieve all this stuff or- is it outside pressures that make you feel that way? Parents, family, peers, society? Have you been able to dismiss all that?

I used to have a really strong fear of failure. Especially in terms of career. Initially- I thought it was just the pressure to have a job and support myself financially but- even when I had that, I still felt so unhappy. My problem is a creative drive- which I think most creative people struggle with. If you have it but can't sate it, you become so miserable.

Now though, there's definitely been a shift in my thinking. I'm tired of playing the game. It does feel like a game. Pressure to work, pressure to be someone and achieve things- ultimately, it all feels like a money spinning exercise to ultimately benefit the already rich.

Personally, I'm not going to be able to get rid of my guilt if I don't eventually find ways to financially support myself. I'm not going to be able to shake off my creative drive either. Neither do I want to. It's the only thing that makes me feel there's purpose in my life. Still- I don't blame the many people here who don't want to work or comply to all that.

Overall, my desire to CTB is sort of driven by failure though- or- at least- a feeling that it's simply too difficult and not rewarding enough to succeed in the main area of life I want to. That's the other thing really- the reward side of things. Failure isn't so important when you realise the end goal really isn't important or is kind of shitty in itself. I, my family and friends have all achieved certain things in life to find out they really weren't what we expected them to be. So- that's the other thing. You tend to think- why should I even bother if the end result is shit?!!

I can't speak so much for things like relationships. Most of that desire is now gone for me- or- at least, I can recognise that it is and always was fairytale type thinking. I did have a very deep desire for a relationship at one point. I think that was a mixture of biology- crazy hormones but also, a certain expectation from family and society to experience certain things by certain ages. I remember being told I would be left on the shelf by a certain age... As it is- probably for the best. I've turned out antinatilist anyway. How about you though? I think the desire for companionship feels more innate maybe than wanting a career!

What are your feelings though? Is failure or imminent failure a contributing factor to you wanting to CTB?

• Hugs
Reactions: sadwriter, Celerity and Kit1
K

Kit1

Enlightened
Oct 24, 2023
I do have a fear of failure - though that is not connected to my suicidal ideation.

I have two children who I have tried (to the best of my abilities) to give them a good life. They both know that they are loved very much by myself and my husband (their dad), have had felt safe and secure, were free to explore the world from a place of safety and both have turned out to be happy, caring, well adjusted, loving young people - and they both talk about how privileged and loved they feel. I did not have preconceived ideas of how they would turn out and I would say that there are some behaviours that I am not overly impressed with - main one being that both guys are not consistent with time keeping and I always keep to time - my son missed out on a playing in the tournament a few weeks ago as he was late! However I am cool with that as they are now old enough to manage their time etc. I am just proud of them and love them so much - they are the reason that I am still alive. My main fear of failure is that somehow I have brought them up too softly and they might get hurt in life, be unhappy etc. If that was to ever happen, I would feel like a total failure. Thankfully the indications are that they will be okay.

• Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Yes, I'm an abject failure. Even by suicide forum standards.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Sylveon, sadwriter, LoiteringClouds and 2 others
K

Kit1

Enlightened
Oct 24, 2023
Yes, I'm an abject failure. Even by suicide forum standards.
I might be overstepping my mark here by asking this question, but just feel sad reading your answer and how you feel about yourself. If it is okay with you, can you kindly elaborate on why you feel like you are "an abject failure "?

• Hugs
Reactions: TapeMachine and Forever Sleep
Aim

Aim

🤍
Sep 12, 2023
Failing is a part of life, so absolutely no! But it sucks off course, but i mean as long as one dont give up. It's ok I feel like. Most things in life do work out- with consistency and determination.
But when/if it comes to failing ctb. I think I will go out into the Forrest and scream! 🙊

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Kit1 and Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Failing is a part of life, so absolutely no! But it sucks off course, but i mean as long as one dont give up. It's ok I feel like. Most things in life do work out- with consistency and determination.
But when/if it comes to failing ctb. I think I will go out into the Forrest and scream! 🙊

Very wise and very true. I guess we've never actually failed until we give up.

Funnily enough though- not that you're saying this but I don't see CTB as admitting failure- which I think a lot of normies do. I see CTB as a stronger move. A show of independence that we've got to the point where all that life stuff simply doesn't interest/motivate us anymore. Players fold in a game of cards or resign in a game of chess because it seems like they simply can't win with what they have. I think suicide is like that. Perhaps sometimes we're wrong but- maybe the game doesn't interest us anymore.

• Hugs
Reactions: sadwriter, Hollowman, LoiteringClouds and 1 other person
K

Kit1

Enlightened
Oct 24, 2023
Very wise and very true. I guess we've never actually failed until we give up.

Funnily enough though- not that you're saying this but I don't see CTB as admitting failure- which I think a lot of normies do. I see CTB as a stronger move. A show of independence that we've got to the point where all that life stuff simply doesn't interest/motivate us anymore. Players fold in a game of cards or resign in a game of chess because it seems like they simply can't win with what they have. I think suicide is like that. Perhaps sometimes we're wrong but- maybe the game doesn't interest us anymore.
Well said! I totally agree with you on this and LeVieEnRose, you are not an abject failure. That might be how you feel, but I feel that you are being harsh on yourself - a tendency that most of us on this forum have is to be unkind to ourselves and belittle ourselves. We deserve to love ourselves and be kind to ourselves - often it is the unkindness of other people that has brought us here in the first place - at least we can stand up and say "no" the unkindness of others and reject their acceptable behaviour and give ourselves the compassion and kindness that we often feel for others.

Just a thought. Apologies if I have offended you in any way.

• Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
I might be overstepping my mark here by asking this question, but just feel sad reading your answer and how you feel about yourself. If it is okay with you, can you kindly elaborate on why you feel like you are "an abject failure "?
Just a lack of success in every area of life. Not just some, but every single one. Also failed myself pretty badly.

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: Sylveon, Forever Sleep and LoiteringClouds
cryone

cryone

Experienced
Nov 23, 2023
1000% for me. failure is the worst thing ever. I can never accomplish anything and give up too quickly. Even when I try, it hardly works out. There's too much stress and I always compare myself to my peers. I'm always the most useless one. Failed at life, but also failed to push myself to CTB. all and all i fucking have no drive.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep, LoiteringClouds and Celerity
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Yes, it still plays a large part in my ideations even though it is leagues better than it was in the past. At 30 still living at home and having never had a relationship, I feel very behind.

I did manage to get out of the house and live on my own for over 5 years, and I did date and have a chance at a decent career for a hot minute, but then I more or less had a mental breakdown and never recovered. Trying to summon the energy to improve my life is incredibly trying. I look to the future and wonder if it's worth the effort. It certainly doesn't seem like it now.

I wish I had killed myself when my ideation was at its zenith around age 24.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep and LoiteringClouds
AInilam

AInilam

Student
Dec 17, 2023
No, it doesn't bother me. I wish I could live in a world where pursuing passions and hobbies was the main goal, then using said skills/talents to help foster a healthy, warm and loving community. I don't see what others consider modern or traditional accomplishments as something worth living or fighting for anymore, but to each their own. To me most if not all of today's accomplishments seem tainted as they only serve to contribute to an already broken and sick society. Nothing comes natural anymore and there is hardly any variety---it is either ''this way or no way at all'', every goal is either sensationalized, stigmatized or propagandized for someone else's personal gain.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep, Hollowman and LoiteringClouds
H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
Not anymore, nobody really wins in the game of life.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep and AInilam
sadwriter

sadwriter

Hanging in there
Aug 29, 2023
Overall, my desire to CTB is sort of driven by failure though- or- at least- a feeling that it's simply too difficult and not rewarding enough to succeed in the main area of life I want to. That's the other thing really- the reward side of things. Failure isn't so important when you realise the end goal really isn't important or is kind of shitty in itself. I, my family and friends have all achieved certain things in life to find out they really weren't what we expected them to be. So- that's the other thing. You tend to think- why should I even bother if the end result is shit?!!
I definitely relate to all of this, though the feelings of failure are no longer motivating my desire to CTB at this point.

My fears of failure have always related to both school/ academic achievement and achievement in my career path (ie, being recognized as "great" in my field). (I've never really been all that interested in relationships, since I mainly saw them as a distraction from my other goals, though I'm starting to change that mindset.) I used to have overly high expectations of myself as far as success in my career, and expected that I'd be accomplishing a ton of shit before I reached my mid 20's, so now that I'm IN my mid 20's and have a better idea of what's realistic for me in life, I feel like I've already failed myself irreversibly in some ways because I haven't met those standards and may not ever. Now that I've realized what's going on with my mental health, though, I'm starting to feel like CTB'ing before I have the chance get "better" will be a form of failure for myself, and recovery has become my main shorter term goal. I think that feeling like I've already "failed" in that one way has kind of ironically set me free from some of the pressure that I was putting on myself, as much as it also sucks? I nearly ended up CTB because of that feeling that I'd already irreversibly failed, but then that shift in my goals has helped me to keep going for now.

Regardless, the short answer is yes, I've always been extremely afraid of failure, and that fear has been a large motivator for me, for better or for worse.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep and cryone