• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Neon

Neon

May 20, 2018
Does depression make you dumber? I've read articles on it before but never experienced it myself up until recently (after having depression for about 5 years), I find myself not knowing the right phrases/responses to say, misspelling alot of words, not coming up with coherent thought, and I'm wondering if it has to do with my depression making me like this or just something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: coileanbeag, Madame Psychosis, Bedlamb and 17 others
Kogoruhn

Kogoruhn

Student
May 20, 2018
I believe it does, same case for anxiety. When i was at my worst moment on my social anxiety disorder, i was so overwhelmed in my thinking that a lot of times missed the flow of conversations, i had disorganized thoughts and couldn"t find the best way to say something

Reactions: Lemons, esclava, lemmeeleev and 7 others
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
Absolutely.

Reactions: tomz323, lemmeeleev, dhk96 and 6 others
throwaway777

throwaway777

一人、部屋で、独り。
Oct 3, 2018
Does depression make you dumber? I've read articles on it before but never experienced it myself up until recently, I find myself not knowing the right phrases/responses to say, misspelling alot of words, not coming up with coherent thought, and I'm wondering if it has to do with my depression making me like this or just something else.
it definitely makes me dumber … but then when i realize how much dumb i am … well .. this makes me more depressed …

Reactions: Anjellnight, Deadgirl, lemmeeleev and 4 others
ctoan

ctoan

Arcanist
Sep 30, 2018
they are scientifical studies on this

your brain starts to shrink...no joke..i think you can even see on mrt

Reactions: lemmeeleev, not-2-b-the-answer and Final Escape
Lra888

Lra888

Enlightened
Sep 30, 2018
Does depression make you dumber? I've read articles on it before but never experienced it myself up until recently (after having depression for about 5 years), I find myself not knowing the right phrases/responses to say, misspelling alot of words, not coming up with coherent thought, and I'm wondering if it has to do with my depression making me like this or just something else.
Depression and anxiety make me introspective to the point where a lot of what goes on around me doesn't really register properly. It becomes hard to focus for example when reading my mind drifts and I don't retain the information sufficiently, difficulty interacting conversationally etc.

Reactions: Madame Psychosis, lemmeeleev, Safi and 5 others
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
Brain fog, sluggishness, incoherent thought, inability to concentrate and impaired memory can all be caused by depression. This shit is the story of my life. In addition to anxiety, OCD, PTSD and dissociative symptoms of course. If you're gonna be mentally ill, you may as well go big, that's what I always say.

Reactions: coileanbeag, wiIIow, lemmeeleev and 13 others
agreement

agreement

Mage
Mar 26, 2018
todally ... I mean abzolutely ... ok , nevermint ...

• Yay!
Reactions: Ifonlysheknew, lemmeeleev, dhk96 and 4 others
Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
Yes. I used to be a good student before I had depression.

Reactions: Madame Psychosis, lemmeeleev, not-2-b-the-answer and 2 others
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
No. Because there are many aspects and not all of them will be affected negatively. On the contrary, some will be more positive while others will remain neutral.

Just look at many of what depressed people write on the internet and reddit for example. The deep analysis of life and finding real faults isn't something "dumb" will do. Actually, the non-depressed might not realize the truths a depressed one can find.

My depression enhanced my mentality and rational thinking, it gave me a very big boost. I could be "dumber" without it.

But if it means social interaction, taking decisions and many other sides then yea maybe I'm worse.

I know everyone is different, but for me, despite everything, I would thank my depression for being a big part the played a role in exposing life.

Reactions: esclava, lemmeeleev, Jon and 4 others
V

Virgo

Arcanist
Oct 3, 2018
No. Because there are many aspects and not all of them will be affected negatively. On the contrary, some will be more positive while others will remain neutral.

Just look at many of what depressed people write on the internet and reddit for example. The deep analysis of life and finding real faults isn't something "dumb" will do. Actually, the non-depressed might not realize the truths a depressed one can find.

My depression enhanced my mentality and rational thinking, it gave me a very big boost. I could be "dumber" without it.

But if it means social interaction, taking decisions and many other sides then yea maybe I'm worse.

I know everyone is different, but for me, despite everything, I would thank my depression for being a big part the played a role in exposing life.
Saved me the effort of having to post something similar. :)

Reactions: lemmeeleev, Jon, lv-gras and 1 other person
D

Dean

Sep 10, 2018
To be honest I disagree with this. Some of histories smartest people struggled with depression. Sylvia Plath for example wrote most of her poems during her depressive episodes and she truly is a genius. Virginia Woolf as well. I think depression makes you lazy and takes away motivation which is why some people struggle in school/everyday life. Many studies suggest that depressed people are more intelligent and they can see things more objectively than others... just my two cents.

Reactions: lemmeeleev, Virgo, lv-gras and 1 other person
Pointlessabyss

Pointlessabyss

Impulse will takeover one day...
Sep 17, 2018
Honest answer is I think it's down to the individual.

I feel as if these days I don't retain information unless it something that peaks my interest so naturally I don't think I absorb information that well but somehow seem to regurgitate it under pressure.
My ex suffered with depression and was a trainee doctor one of the smartest women I have had the privilege of knowing, way smarter than me and could retain information after readiging it.

So I would say no and it's down to the individual

Reactions: lemmeeleev, Virgo, lv-gras and 1 other person
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Yes, everyone already covered it. It seems to make it difficult to make decisions, communicate. I think the low social contact makes you become awkward if you don't have people to interact with fairly regularly.

I had a breakdown/major depression at age 20 and lost 20lbs in a month, suddenly I was oversleeping severely, lost appetite, could barely make it to work, the people at the bar told me to lay off the nose candy but I had not yet been prescribed Adderall at that point yet.

What was interesting is that I was living with my family at this time still and nobody noticed anything but did mention to me that I was beginning to look a little thin. They were there as I was practically catatonic not even bothering to ask if I'm alright.

I did have family who pretty much abandoned me so I shouldn't be surprised but still. It just shows you how severe the neglect or disinterest in you can be by people who see you regularly and are supposed to give a shit.

At the time a boyfriend convinced me to move to Las Vegas with him and I felt like I had nothing going on so I went with him. While down there the depression lifted suddenly and it was really noticeable to me. I'm assuming it was because the sun is so strong and consistent, also I got away from the environment that was depressing me temporarily.

Reactions: lemmeeleev and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018

I don't know but I'm depressed because I'm dumb. :(

Reactions: Final Escape, lemmeeleev, dhk96 and 1 other person
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
they are scientifical studies on this

your brain starts to shrink...no joke..i think you can even see on mrt

Now I'm even more depressed. :(

Reactions: lemmeeleev, dhk96 and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
Brain fog, sluggishness, incoherent thought, inability to concentrate and impaired memory can all be caused by depression. This shit is the story of my life. In addition to anxiety, OCD, PTSD and dissociative symptoms of course. If you're gonna be mentally ill, you may as well go big, that's what I always say.

Brain Fog - Check
Sluggishness - Check
Incoherent Thought - Check
Inability To Concentrate - Check
Impaired Memory - Check
OCD - Check
Anxiety - Check
Dissociative Symptoms - Check

I'm so screwed !!! :angry:

• Yay!
Reactions: lemmeeleev and Roberto
W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
I feel that I'm not as sharp as I was a few years ago.

Reactions: lemmeeleev and dhk96
vaulthunter

vaulthunter

poyo?
Mar 19, 2019
I find myself not knowing the right phrases/responses to say, misspelling alot of words, not coming up with coherent thought, and I'm wondering if it has to do with my depression making me like this or just something else.

since my depression got really severe i've noticed this too—constantly stumbling over my sentences, making no sense and getting flustered when speaking. its crazy how far gone from yourself you really get

Reactions: lemmeeleev
housecat

housecat

Apr 5, 2019
I can get more confused, which can make expressing myself harder. And I pay less attention to things, either to minimise stress or because I don't care. But less intelligent? No.

Youthanasia

Youthanasia

Wanderer
Apr 18, 2019
I actually believe that as long as you don't dwell in comfortable thoughts such as suicide in your depression, it actually can make you smarter.

I dont think it's reasonable to say I have depression even though I'm suicidal. I've had a legit period of depression on my teenage days and therapy gave me some of the tools I used to kick it out of my life.

And in my happiest days, I was actually glad I went through that because as a wise asian maniac said once, what doesn't kill you make you more strong. And that is still noticeable to me.

R

Roberto

Wizard
Jan 19, 2019
I red we have 30% less IQ when depressive.

Xaphous

Xaphous

hikikomori
Nov 11, 2018
Yes but isolation does more

Divine Trinity

Divine Trinity

Pugna Vigil
Mar 20, 2019
I think depression is either neutral or positively associated with certain brain processes, but the person is susceptible to harmful activities that negate or surpass those benefits.

All in all, it's complicated.

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I don't think it necessarily makes me dumber, but it does hamper my productivity and functioning in daily life. In other words, I become less efficient and less functional, thus not getting much things done, or moving slower than usual on many tasks.

R

Roberto

Wizard
Jan 19, 2019
I think I've been born retarded. But thanks to depression, now I'm idiot.

uiop

uiop

Fun drugs make me happy
Mar 27, 2019
Depression and anxiety rots your mind with negative thoughts, which become increasingly intrusive. When these bad thoughts become more severe, you will lose cognition in favor for intuitive thinking.

Reactions: Allpainnogain and lemmeeleev
Anjellnight

Anjellnight

Apr 29, 2019
En mi experiencia personal...yo creo que si...realmente me cuesta más prestar atención...realmente siento que se me dificulta todo...hasta respirar...

• Hugs
Reactions: Alchemist, lemmeeleev and Roberto