Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
It seems there's no future if you've gone through it. Everything is just dark and cold and has been for as long as I can remember. Therapy and medicine didn't help. Death and dying feels dark and cold too

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Ultracheese, Skathon, Elio24 and 5 others
D

Deleted member 60002

Apr 11, 2023
It's very hard for most people to overcome but it's still possible. For starters, there are healthy and unhealthy ways to cope. The memories will likely always be with you though, and for that, I am sorry.

Reactions: psp3000, Ambivalent1 and heavyeyes
itsoverforme

itsoverforme

May 31, 2023
I believe it's possible, when someone is raised in a certain way it will genuinely affect their brain chemistry and outlook on life, though it's also possible for people to recover and change their outlook.

Reactions: Rust20
lastday6116

lastday6116

Gone home
May 31, 2023
I was beaten when I was young and this affected my self-confidence until now

• Hugs
Reactions: Linda, Elio24 and Ambivalent1
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Yes

Reactions: Skathon
lagoona-a-go-go

lagoona-a-go-go

La tristesse durera toujours.
May 25, 2023
I was just thinking about this. It's possible to somewhat recover, but the memories always stay. It's a big part of what's destroying me now and from one person to another, I'm so so sorry.

• Aww..
Reactions: Ambivalent1
A

AerialBoundaries

The Songs of Distant Earth.
Sep 18, 2022
It irrevocably fucks you up.

Lazy, neglectful and absent parents should be in prison.

• Aww..
Reactions: Elio24, ghost44, Hollowman and 1 other person
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think it certainly changes you in life. How could it not? If- during the time you are learning how to trust people- that trust is abused- how can that not affect you? I imagine people with CPTSD maybe CAN recover- or- at least appear to but I think they have to work a lot harder in life because they simply don't have the security and support that other people likely take for granted.

• Informative
Reactions: Rust20 and Elio24
unrest

unrest

Jun 3, 2023
of course. i believe that childhood is the most vulnerable time ever. you're always coming from a place of love as a kid and when that's stripped away from you, who are you going to trust? then you have to become that said parent for yourself.

Reactions: Rust20 and Skathon
flesh object

flesh object

Bread
Feb 15, 2023
I personally have lived through it, I was born into a horrible family, and my father was a substance abuser, and my mother was not supportive.

I was never planned, there were many before me, however my mother just couldn't abort anymore, so that is why I exist.

My purpose in my family was being used as leverage, as in if my mother would leave then my father would murder my grandparents and me. I was always used for their interests. There was a time where I ran out of the house, and the way they brought me back was texting me "Do you want to kill your grandparents? if so keep doing what you are doing."

I thought I had a normal family because I was grown into it, however once I started school I realized that it wasn't the case. My family told me to paint a happy picture and describe my life as perfect, and so I did. It is one of my biggest regrets because I could have gotten out of that life, but I never chose to. Throughout my entire life, I was sexually, physically, and mentally abused.

I didn't really have friends going through school, not real ones.

My childhood trauma slowly started to affect me, I didn't realize it until it was too late, and I thought it never bothered me. I realized it now, people closing doors loudly or people getting angry, belligerent drunk people, it all reminds me of my past, and it is something I cannot handle.

Countless people to tell me to get over it, but it's not that simple. I don't control what I dream about, or what reminds me of the past, or reminds me of who I share a last name with.

I've been losing touch of what's real, whenever I sleep it's either memories or something terrible. I try to take control of my mental state, however its turned into substance abuse, and I get told by my mother that I am turning into my father, which truly scares me.

Whenever I sleep my father comes back to torture me.

• Love
Reactions: Rust20 and Skathon
R

Readytogo246

Student
Jun 4, 2023
I think we replay it over and over. I pray for release and it just gets harder sometimes. I know some people can get over it. I haven't yet.

Rust20

Rust20

May 31, 2023
Many things are irreversible including childhood memories and traumas simply because we don't have access to time, we can't go back and no therapy or pills can undo the damages. Many claim to just forget it or let go of it, fine, but the effects are still there. If I make it and have a family someday, I'm not gonna have children.

Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
It seems there's no future if you've gone through it. Everything is just dark and cold and has been for as long as I can remember. Therapy and medicine didn't help. Death and dying feels dark and cold too
The answer is complicated. Very stressful experiences as a child alter the structure of your brain, and the changes are permanent. That means you will always be prone to experience some things in a certain way, and it may not be a good way. You can't change that. However, many people learn to cope, so that the problems become no more than inconveniences, rather than major obstacles to a successful life. Whether you will be able to do that or not is something I just don't know, but my guess is that the right kind of therapy, from the right therapist, would probably help a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: Rust20
Ultracheese

Ultracheese

Arcanist
Dec 1, 2022
I can only speak from my own experience when I say I'd rather be completely destroyed and killed by the memories of it than the state I'm in now where I'm just barely hanging on.

R

rawwar539

May 19, 2023
It definitely does. Depending on how severe your abuse was also determines how damaged you come out of it. It has always been an anchor around my neck and I have had to constantly struggle with it. There is only one way to escape all that pain.

Reactions: Skathon