M

malcontent

Aug 28, 2020
Hello, I think it would help me a lot to read some experiences of people who struggle with indecisiveness. It's been a problem of mine for as long as I remember. It doesn't happen with small decisions (but if that's your experience, you're still welcome to share). For me it's with things like "what program should I study for uni", "what medication or lifestyle change should I try for my chronic illness", "what goal should I take in life", "should I live or die" , "what suicide method do I pick", things like that.

It makes me feel kind of bad that I feel unsure about a lot of things or what I even want. Thanks for reading.

Reactions: LenkaX and Arvinneedstodie
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I definitely struggle with this. I'm somebody who can find reasons to regret any choice I make especially when it comes to major decisions. I did end up deciding to be a business major, but I'm still flaky and indecisive by choosing "general management" as a concentration. Sometimes for me, the only way through a hard choice is to pick a lame compromise or middle road between the two or to put out off the real decision making by being vague in my answer. I don't necessarily recommend it but it sometimes works for me.

• Hugs
Reactions: LenkaX and malcontent
glittergore

glittergore

the sea, the sea
Jun 16, 2020
For me, this is a symptom of my anxiety and OCD. I obsess about it being "right" - as dubious as a concept as that can be sometimes - and all the things that could go wrong if I do decide on a particular option. If I do make a decision and it ends up not fitting this concept of "right", I get legitimately suicidal over it. Therefore, I tend to become paralyzed once I do have to make decisions. The only exception to this is if I'm in a situation that frightens me more than whatever could go wrong or be wrong in that decision frightens me.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: malcontent
Wheelz1985

Wheelz1985

Ready to roll out.
Mar 19, 2020
Kinda sorta.. Lemme get back to you on that.

BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
Because it happens with larger decisions, could it be an underlying fear of commitment or perfectionism?

I struggle with deciding things like that too. I don't trust my judgment or my abilities. But also, deciding little things like what to eat or wear has been getting to be too much lately. Should I eat at all? Should I go out like this, or like that? Should I even get out of bed today? Meh

• Hugs
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
Yeah. I can't think of any examples right now but I can sit there for a while thinking "ill do this" "yeah but this could happen" "this is also a possibility" and I'll go back and forth like that until I give up and don't do anything about it because I can't decide whether or not its a good idea.

T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
Yes. Since I am 21 I made always wrong decisions. Now I'm 100% sure my ctb decision is inevitable. I'm tired of my shirty reality. This is a fucking nightmare. I can't tolerate this anymore.

• Aww..
Reactions: LenkaX, _Minsk and malcontent
J

Jojo81

Student
Aug 8, 2020
I don't think too much about making a decision.. I have always done on impulse.. But now I regret all those impulsive decisions that were taken.. My life has always been going good until I myself take a Fucking diversion.. I just hate it when everything is going smooth.. I change it with my diversion and then Fucking hate it when I fail..

• Aww..
M

malcontent

Aug 28, 2020
I definitely struggle with this. I'm somebody who can find reasons to regret any choice I make especially when it comes to major decisions. I did end up deciding to be a business major, but I'm still flaky and indecisive by choosing "general management" as a concentration. Sometimes for me, the only way through a hard choice is to pick a lame compromise or middle road between the two or to put out off the real decision making by being vague in my answer. I don't necessarily recommend it but it sometimes works for me.

Exactly, it's like I'm good at spotting just the cons of a choice or something. And I do do that, the being vague strategy... ahaha. Do you do this for the living/dying question too (if it's alright to ask)? If you don't feel like talking about it, I understand.

For me, this is a symptom of my anxiety and OCD. I obsess about it being "right" - as dubious as a concept as that can be sometimes - and all the things that could go wrong if I do decide on a particular option. If I do make a decision and it ends up not fitting this concept of "right", I get legitimately suicidal over it. Therefore, I tend to become paralyzed once I do have to make decisions. The only exception to this is if I'm in a situation that frightens me more than whatever could go wrong or be wrong in that decision frightens me.

Ah, as it happens, I struggle with a lot of anxiety... I don't have OCD, but I can certainly see some traits. Anxiety is a tough beast. I don't think about being "right" per se, just that the choice should feel right. Which it most of the time doesn't D:

Because it happens with larger decisions, could it be an underlying fear of commitment or perfectionism?

I struggle with deciding things like that too. I don't trust my judgment or my abilities. But also, deciding little things like what to eat or wear has been getting to be too much lately. Should I eat at all? Should I go out like this, or like that? Should I even get out of bed today? Meh

Definitely a fear of commitment and perfectionism. Ditto on not trusting your own judgment or abilities. I used to think depression wasn't really a mental illness but instead a natural reaction to sucky life conditions, but... idk, maybe it is a mental illness that makes one indecisive and makes it harder to think.

BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
Symptoms of depression do include difficulty making decisions, brain fog. :hug:

• Hugs
Reactions: malcontent and _Minsk
M

malcontent

Aug 28, 2020
Symptoms of depression do include difficulty making decisions, brain fog. :hug:

Oh. That's true, isn't it. :)) Perhaps it's in some people's temperament to be unsure, plus depression on top of it, etc.

Cherrypea

Cherrypea

I remember when all this will be again
May 3, 2020
You are actually my brain twin. It's a nightmare!

Reactions: glittergore
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Exactly, it's like I'm good at spotting just the cons of a choice or something. And I do do that, the being vague strategy... ahaha. Do you do this for the living/dying question too (if it's alright to ask)? If you don't feel like talking about it, I understand.

I've made my choice to die, but not until a few years from now. At least I'm specific about when. This is an example of how I made my choice by putting it off til later. :ahhha:

• Hugs