M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
or know anybody that does? I am thinking about this.. I am almost 28 years old now been living alone since 17.. but the past few years I have been struggling to cope being alone everyday. I have Aspergers. I don't really have anyone to help me except one parent. When they are no longer here I definitely couldn't live day in and day out on my own.. I feel so pathetic..

• Hugs
Reactions: Myforevercharlie, MartyByrde and Winona
P

PlaceCalledHome

Apr 20, 2020
I'm currently in supported accommodation and have social workers, which is honestly the most humiliating thing ever. I'd actually prefer to go back to living in poverty, trying to fit in and struggling while undiagnosed. At least there was a freedom and dignity to that.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: mediocre, Winona and Final Escape
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I'm currently in supported accommodation and have social workers, which is honestly the most humiliating thing ever. I'd actually prefer to go back to living in poverty, trying to fit in and struggling while undiagnosed. At least there was a freedom and dignity to that.
Damn I'm so sorry and I totally know what u mean. People need dignity and freedom. When u take that way it's really degrading and humiliating.
or know anybody that does? I am thinking about this.. I am almost 28 years old now been living alone since 17.. but the past few years I have been struggling to cope being alone everyday. I have Aspergers. I don't really have anyone to help me except one parent. When they are no longer here I definitely couldn't live day in and day out on my own.. I feel so pathetic..
You're not pathetic. It is this system that is pathetic. Many many people like us exist that struggle unnecessarily because there is not better social supports. Like ones where u can live decently but with enough support so u aren't struggling uneccessarily.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, mediocre and Winona
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
I understand that it could be humiliating. Are you friends with any other people that live there? or is it just you on your own? One of the reasons I thought it could be a good thing is that you constantly have people everyday to reach out and talk to. Be it support workers or others with similar issues that live nearby. My biggest worry is I'm getting older and becoming more isolated at the same time. I live on my own and I'm stuck in a flat 99% of the time. My family members tell me that I should go out and meet people and mix. But they don't get that for people with aspergers it doesn't work like that.. it's actually very very difficult to meet new friends especially when you're nearly 30. I don't have a job or anything either.
Damn I'm so sorry and I totally know what u mean. People need dignity and freedom. When u take that way it's really degrading and humiliating.

You're not pathetic. It is this system that is pathetic. Many many people like us exist that struggle unnecessarily because there is not better social supports. Like ones where u can live decently but with enough support so u aren't struggling uneccessarily.
It's very true the system especially in the UK/Ireland is very very bad. Though I have to admit we do have a good amount of support for autistic people here where I live. But when you get older it cuts off.. really most of the support is for people under 25 unless you were in an assisted living situation. As if when you are old the problems suddenly go away. That's why I thought that living situation would be better for me.. I don't think my problems will be solved at all.. I'll still be mentally and physically ill.. but at least I might have people to talk to everyday.

• Hugs
Reactions: Myforevercharlie
P

PlaceCalledHome

Apr 20, 2020
I understand that it could be humiliating. Are you friends with any other people that live there? or is it just you on your own? One of the reasons I thought it could be a good thing is that you constantly have people everyday to reach out and talk to. Be it support workers or others with similar issues that live nearby. My biggest worry is I'm getting older and becoming more isolated at the same time. I live on my own and I'm stuck in a flat 99% of the time. My family members tell me that I should go out and meet people and mix. But they don't get that for people with aspergers it doesn't work like that.. it's actually very very difficult to meet new friends especially when you're nearly 30. I don't have a job or anything either.

Unfortunately I don't really have any family or friends and at this point I don't have the energy or willpower to make new friends. Not only does my autism make it difficult for me to connect with people, but then my BPD makes it difficult to maintain said connections. That in addition to being 30, my situation is pretty dire. I made a friend at the previous accommodation that I connected really well with but he died. I also fell in love with one of the social workers, which was really awkward.

• Hugs
Reactions: Final Escape and mediocre