• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

K

kionu09

Jun 3, 2023
İ think it really depends on where and when you ve failed

Orbitc

Orbitc

Sorry for my English
Jul 2, 2023
Sometimes I have encephalopathy due to the fact that my liver cannot cope with autoimmune hemolysis - red blood cells break down and hypoxia occurs from this, my heart beats so fast as if I was running fast trying to compensate for hypoxia. Failed SN attempt could damage the brain due to hypoxia.

Reactions: doggiesarecute, 90starve and befree
befree

befree

Time to do more enjoyable things _____Goodbye_____
Mar 22, 2022
Failed SN attempt could damage the brain due to hypoxia.
Exactly ! But this is what many people don´t believe. From a medical point of view, it´s impossible that brain cells are not affected. SN acts through the bloodstream, just like any other substance, in every single cell of the body. It always depends on the individual case and when the person is found and receives medical treatment. If a person has survived with permanent brain damage, he will be unable to tell about it here.

Reactions: inevitable31, doggiesarecute, 90starve and 2 others
singularity3

singularity3

Experienced
Apr 2, 2023
Exactly ! But this is what many people don´t believe. From a medical point of view, it´s impossible that brain cells are not affected. SN acts through the bloodstream, just like any other substance, in every single cell of the body. It always depends on the individual case and when the person is found and receives medical treatment. If a person has survived with permanent brain damage, he will be unable to tell about it here.
do you mean a vegetable?

Orbitc

Orbitc

Sorry for my English
Jul 2, 2023
I hope that my injuries from the drink SN will be lethal. The fear of failing is what keeps me in this world. Whatever happens, it is necessary to do everything correctly and strictly according to the protocol in order to reduce chance of failure to zero

Reactions: inevitable31, medmaksi, moggedtodeath and 6 others
C

Crono

-
Jun 1, 2023
I find this quite extraordinary, how the brain could go several hours on low oxygen to the point of not even maintaining consciousness and still not suffer brain damage. I doubt that SN does not cause brain problems, especially in the long term.

Reactions: doggiesarecute, Mateira, Orbitc and 2 others
90starve

90starve

i don’t know who i am
May 8, 2023

Reactions: doggiesarecute and singularity3
befree

befree

Mar 22, 2022
When you read these reports of failed attempts, you realize that people got medical help quickly. This is an important point.

• Informative
Reactions: doggiesarecute, Orbitc, Bluebunnysky and 1 other person
Kerrtu

Kerrtu

Komeetta ♊︎
May 8, 2023
Survival after self‐poisoning with sodium nitrite: A case report

A 23‐year‐old male with a medical history significant for previous suicide attempts, polysubstance use disorder in remission from alcohol and benzodiazepine use, nicotine dependence, current marijuana use, bipolar disorder, post‐traumatic stress disorder, and irritable bowel syndrome presented to the emergency department via emergency medical services (EMS) after intentional overdose. Patient reported ingesting 2 teaspoons of sodium nitrite he obtained from Walmart.com 6 hours before presentation in an attempt to end his life.

The patient reported losing consciousness after ingestion and waking up in his own vomit and feces. He felt confused and called EMS. In the emergency department (ED), the patient acknowledged nausea, vomiting, and bowel incontinence. He complained of severe diffuse abdominal pain that was 8/10 in severity. He had used marijuana that day. He denied chest pain, shortness of breath, coingestion with other prescription drugs, over‐the‐counter drugs, street drugs, and ethanol. He had no auditory hallucinations, current suicidal ideation, or current homicidal ideation.
The patient presented to the ED appearing ill, ashen, discolored and in distress. He was afebrile, tachycardic to 108, with a respiratory rate at 22, and blood pressure in the 110s systolic. His oxygen saturations were 84% on 6 L nasal cannula.

On examination, his skin was ashen gray and he had perioral cyanosis. Cranial nerves were intact, and his cardiopulmonary examination demonstrated mild tachycardia. There were no pulmonary abnormalities. He had diffuse tenderness on his abdomen without rebound, rigidity, or guarding. He had soiled himself and was actively retching.

In the ED, he was switched to a non‐rebreather mask. Minnesota Poison Control was contacted, and the patient was promptly treated with 1 mg/kg intravenous bolus of methylene blue over 5 minutes. Toxicology labs were obtained along with venous blood gas (VBG) with co‐oximetry and methemoglobin levels.

He remained stable in the ED, then was transferred to the intensive care unit (ICU) for further evaluation and care. Initial methemoglobin level was found to be 26.3% (0.0‐1.5%). VBG demonstrated pH of 7.39, PCO2 to 33 mmHg with PO2 of 38 mmHg. Complete blood count demonstrated platelet count of 329 and leukocytosis to 23.3 with strong left shift of 18.75. Basic metabolic panel demonstrated a mild decrease in bicarbonate at 19 (22‐29 mmol/L) and increased anion gap 16 (7‐15). Urine drug screen was positive for tetrahydrocannabinol and amphetamines. He denied use of amphetamines, which may be a false positive from bupropion. 10

He was cared for in the ICU overnight on non‐rebreather, then high‐flow nasal cannula, and ultimately transitioned to room air. From a clinical perspective, the patient improved drastically after timely methylene blue treatment with progressively decreasing oxygen requirements. His repeat methemoglobin level trended down to 0.7% within 90 minutes of intravenous methylene blue administration (Figure 1). The patient was transferred to the general medicine floor the next day. He was discharged after 2 nights total in the hospital for further psychiatric care. The patient continues to do well at the time of this report without identifiable long‐term sequela.

Full case report at titular purple link or by searching "sodium nitrite overdose survival" or similar terms.

befree

befree

Mar 22, 2022
ingesting 2 teaspoons of sodium nitrite he obtained from Walmart
Walmart sells SN with the required purity of 95% ? 2 teaspoons are not the recommended dose of 25 g.
the patient was promptly treated with 1 mg/kg intravenous bolus of methylene blue
That´s why I said "It always depends on the individual case and when the person is found and receives medical treatment."
Also, each person reacts differently to substances, etc. We also don´t know how this person is doing today. Is he a mentally healthy person or is his mental health impaired due to brain damage? This article does not convince me at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: wastingtime and Orbitc
B

betternever2havbeen

Elementalist
Jun 19, 2022
The abdominal pain he had is worrying! How much is 2 teaspoons? Maybe once it's at brain damage stage you can't be saved? Some have had treatment and still died.

Kerrtu

Kerrtu

Komeetta ♊︎
May 8, 2023
Walmart sells SN with the required purity of 95% ? 2 teaspoons are not the recommended dose of 25 g.

That´s why I said "It always depends on the individual case and when the person is found and receives medical treatment."
Also, each person reacts differently to substances, etc. We also don´t know how this person is doing today. Is he a mentally healthy person or is his mental health impaired due to brain damage? This article does not convince me at all.

This is a single case report; I have no follow up on the individual who consumed and was treated for intentional SN overdose as their personal information is withheld other than the event occurring in Minnesota. This was an example more for @singularity3 as they posted the question. More cases can be found when searched for.

This case report in particular was published in March of 2022 and this is not the report in its entirety, which may be worth reading for some. Full case report is available at the link or searched for on its own.

From section 3 of the case report ie "Discussion" -

Sodium nitrite ingestions may continue to become more common as a result of its ease of access. The California Poison Control System (CPCS) was consulted on 5 patients who intentionally ingested sodium nitrite between May and November of 2019. All cases acquired the product from online vendors. There were no cases reported to CPCS in the 5 years prior. 2 Our case occurred only 4 days after Matthew Mindler, a child actor in the movie "My Idiot Brother," was reported to have ingested sodium nitrite. The case was featured on multiple news streams including People, USA Today, NBC News, and CBS. It is reported that the child star was able to find instructions on how to ingest a lethal dose of sodium nitrite via online forums, 4 and purchased the chemical on Amazon. 5 Similarly, our patient reported purchasing the chemical on Walmart's website.

To be clear, italicized type is from the case report.

Lastly, this case report was not meant in any way to convince you of anything, @befree. I was answering OP's question with a clinical case report as an example.

I find, in going through case reports of those who do not succumb to SN, often the person underdoses and/or calls for help (understandable when one has woken up in a puddle of their own vomit, has defecated while being unconscious and is, I assume, heavily disoriented as was this case report).

- Kerrtu ✌︎

The abdominal pain he had is worrying! How much is 2 teaspoons? Maybe once it's at brain damage stage you can't be saved? Some have had treatment and still died.

2 teaspoons is a bit under 10 ml

Looking for some decent visuals…

IMG 3074

(using dry ingredients without measurement cups, etc)

IMG 3075

Regarding the abdominal pain - have you seen the research machine that mimics the levels of menstrual pain? I don't doubt the person was in pain of the level described - I do wonder how the patient would rate it or compare using said research machine. When Moonie CTB, she reported about a half an hour in the pain was at a 3 or 3.5/10 and it was more of a burning sensation which intensified as time went on. She did lose consciousness thankfully.

Last edited:
Reactions: betternever2havbeen and DreamEnd
B

betternever2havbeen

Elementalist
Jun 19, 2022
@Kerrtu so is that the same as 10g so they didn't take enough to be fatal and woke-up which hopefully I won't be doing! No I've not seen that machine-I might've heard about it though, sounds vaguely familiar. I'll have to look it up. I guess that's why pain meds are recommended for SN-I don't expect it to be easy but I don't wanna be in agony! I don't know what to make of pain scales, I've never been in serious pain so I'd have no idea how to score pain. I don't get bad PMS, like twice in my life it was painful but probably only like a 4? I have no idea really though! 3.5 on the scale sounds pretty manageable-did Moonie take pain meds beforehand?

I wonder if all the issues that guy had played a part like IBS for example? In any case I guess moral of the story is if you wake-up later in pain call an ambulance so you can get the methylene blue since your attempt has probably failed anyway. Wonder if he'd not called an ambulance how long it would've taken to be back to normal.

H

hdahsa

Jul 25, 2021
People do react very differently to SN. I have read a report wherein a nurse succumbed to accidental ingestion of only 2g of SN while in another case a man took 40g and still survived after calling for help. I think it also depends on your body metabolism - how fast is the SN absorbed into the bloodstream. The faster this happens, the earlier one will lose consiousness.

SN attempts will fail if
1. one takes a low dose
2. SN is impure or has turned into nitrate
3. one is discovered or calls for help
4. vomits enough SN so that the dose remaining inside is not enough to cause real harm

All the cases that I have read online of people who took SN and survived state that there were no long term negative effects and that the patient made a full recovery.

• Informative
Reactions: doggiesarecute, Mateira, Orbitc and 4 others
befree

befree

Mar 22, 2022
All case studies are only examples that report on the time period from taking the SN to leaving the clinic. We do not know how the persons are
doing after 1 week, after 1 year or today. How are they mentally, how are their kidneys and liver? Also, many people do not realize that they have mental health problems. We will not know how those people are doing today.

Last edited:
Reactions: inevitable31, Orbitc and SenseOfLoss
befree

befree

Mar 22, 2022
encephalopathy !
We do not know how the persons are
doing after 1 week, after 1 year or today.

Reactions: doggiesarecute and Crono