VikingWinger

VikingWinger

Lost soul
Mar 26, 2019
I'm considering partial but scared shitless that the whole door/hinge will crack off once I put my whole weight on it. Or even worse, when I'm brain dead but not fully dead

Reactions: suffering
Escaper Boy

Escaper Boy

累坏了...
Apr 11, 2019
I think 85 kg produces significant force to damage average doorknob, especially if it's not sturdy enough. I kinda imagine 4 or 5 x 19kg of heavy water containers pressing down on the poor doorknob. It doesn't look promising to me.

But, you plan to go with partial not full suspension approach. I think in partial scenario, the doorknob doesn't support 100% of your mass. Some of your weight is being "supported" by the floor as well. Please excuse my crappy physics. (I am a college dropout, keep that in mind.)

Reactions: Superfluous and VikingWinger
VikingWinger

VikingWinger

Lost soul
Mar 26, 2019
I think 85 kg produces significant force to damage average doorknob, especially if it's not sturdy enough. I kinda imagine 4 or 5 x 19kg of heavy water containers pressing down on the poor doorknob. It doesn't look promising to me.

But, you plan to go with partial not full suspension approach. I think in partial scenario, the doorknob doesn't support 100% of your mass. Some of your weight is being "supported" by the floor as well. Please excuse my crappy physics. (I am a college dropout, keep that in mind.)
Don't worry about your physics, I don't even got high school! But yeah, I agree with you. Even with the knob not holding all my weight, I'm not going to risk waking up like Stephen Hawking. I'll find something more sturdy. I poked around with it a little tho, the partial. Was more pleasant than I thought it would be.

Reactions: Escaper Boy
Kev

Kev

Student
Aug 18, 2018
If you're just doing partial, the doorknob will probably hold. I'm about 200 lbs (~90 kg) and have attempted partial a few times (some were practice runs, some were serious with the intent to die but I always pussied out). My doorknob has showed no signs of damage or distress during any of the attempts; though keep in mind my house is fairly nice and was built a year ago, so maybe the doorknob is stronger than most. If you can, I'd recommend attaching the rope to the doorknob on the opposite side of where you intend to be, throwing the rope over the door then jamming it with the door against the frame. That way, the door frame sustains some of the force and the doorknob doesn't have to bear the full load.

Reactions: Funkbunny and ron_g