ssaaahmo

ssaaahmo

Experienced
May 18, 2020
Had to make this thread because chickens are so cute and amusing. I've had chickens for several years and I've had quite a few breeds. I think my favorites are any kind of orpington and black stars. And the eggs are so much tastier than the ones from the store!

• Love
Reactions: Skathon, cosmonaut, Woodnote and 5 others
P

pete_x

Good god, let's eat !
May 9, 2020
My neighbors do, hearing thei rooster every morning is a comfort.

Reactions: _Minsk and ssaaahmo
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
Nah but I've seen one in person once tbh

Reactions: ssaaahmo
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
No idea ngl but it clucked

ssaaahmo

ssaaahmo

Experienced
May 18, 2020
aw ahahaha that's sweet
do you remember what color(s) it was

Reactions: _Minsk
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
This way years ago but I'm pretty sure they were a light brown kind of colour

ssaaahmo

ssaaahmo

Experienced
May 18, 2020
hm it could have been an orpington or a rhode island red that was pretty light red and brown

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Had to make this thread because chickens are so cute and amusing. I've had chickens for several years and I've had quite a few breeds. I think my favorites are any kind of orpington and black stars. And the eggs are so much tastier than the ones from the store!
Not quite. The guy in the allotment in the back field has chickens who follow me around. There's also geese in the back field who try to chase me and get sworn at.

• Love
Reactions: ssaaahmo and Oyoy
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Not quite. The guy in the allotment in the back field has chickens who follow me around. There's also geese in the back field who try to chase me and get sworn at.

Now that would be quite a scene to witness. What expletives to you use to chase away the poor geese?

4eyebiped

4eyebiped

Mage
Dec 28, 2019
If you are in the city and have a rooster, you are an ass. Unless, you go door to door to get your neighbors approval. I for one do not care to be rudely, and abruptly, awaken by their obnoxious crowing in the morning. One must be considerate to those around them and those wretched things are noise pollution. After all, I am an ugly bastard and I need ALL the beauty sleep I can get... and then some.

Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
I used to care for chickens and roosters throughout my childhood and early adolescence, they are very beautiful birds.

my favorite were the miniature breeds, they usually have beautiful feathers and are so cute. one chicken used to lay her eggs in my room and refused to do it in the coop, they get really attached to people for some reason.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Now that would be quite a scene to witness. What expletives to you use to chase away the poor geese?
I just shout "Fuck off geese!" and brandish my trowel at them. There used to be a cockeral too but someone killed it. Shame, but TBH it makes for quieter mornings.

Reactions: Epsilon0 and ssaaahmo
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
No but I want to buy some eventually. chickens are low effort compared to larger farm animals. Rabbits ... I thought about, but I could not keep them in cages.

Woodnote

Woodnote

Goodbye
Oct 23, 2019
I have chickens. They're the cutest little things. :heart:

ssaaahmo

ssaaahmo

Experienced
May 18, 2020
oh yeah, they follow me around because mine think I'm their mommy bahaha
if they do it to just annoy you then yeah it can be a little weird
If you are in the city and have a rooster, you are an ass. Unless, you go door to door to get your neighbors approval. I for one do not care to be rudely, and abruptly, awaken by their obnoxious crowing in the morning. One must be considerate to those around them and those wretched things are noise pollution. After all, I am an ugly bastard and I need ALL the beauty sleep I can get... and then some.
I agree. All the rooster we had we got rid of as soon as they started crowing
I used to care for chickens and roosters throughout my childhood and early adolescence, they are very beautiful birds.

my favorite were the miniature breeds, they usually have beautiful feathers and are so cute. one chicken used to lay her eggs in my room and refused to do it in the coop, they get really attached to people for some reason.
I know, all of the chickens we've had and do have really bonded with us. One chicken from our last flock would only jump on me and followed me all around it was really cute
No but I want to buy some eventually. chickens are low effort compared to larger farm animals. Rabbits ... I thought about, but I could not keep them in cages.
if you want very friendly chickens, i'd recommend orpingtons. good layers are rhode island reds and crested cream leg bars
I have chickens. They're the cutest little things. :heart:
aaaaw what kind(s)

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 1465, Woodnote and Fragile
ssaaahmo

ssaaahmo

Experienced
May 18, 2020
oh lucky you
i haven't had barred rocks or sussexs or ca whites or black sex links or silkies but i REALLY want silkies
i took a chicken breed personality quiz and got a silkie which further confirmed my needs for silkies
they're just SO FLUFFYY AND CUTE

Reactions: Woodnote
cosmonaut

cosmonaut

May 17, 2020
My family and I used to own polish hens. Now I live in an apartment, but would someday like to have them again. I will have a yard someday dammit!
We owned ducks too, miss them as well

Reactions: Epsilon0
kinzokukae

kinzokukae

get me out of here
Apr 30, 2020
no, but i've held a chicken before (: they're surprisingly soft lol

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Bloody goose had another go at me again today. Then it lead me to a dying rat that appeared to have been poisoned. It stood over it and hissed. Very odd.

• Hugs
  • Wow
Reactions: ssaaahmo, Epsilon0 and Brick In The Wall
tmcglone25

tmcglone25

May 10, 2020
I have chickens. About a dozen. Also a duck. A few years ago a fox broke into the coop and killed almost all of them so we got new ones. Love chickens. Whenever I'm feeling depressed I just go outside and watch the duck.

• Love
Reactions: Shu and Woodnote