nameeater

nameeater

the one with many regrets
Nov 21, 2021
over the years, my memory loss has gotten so bad i frequently forget basic things such as the spellings and definitions of words used in daily life. has anyone else experienced it to this extent?

• Love
Reactions: HateMyPointlessLife, Un-, fatefulstillness and 2 others
Silenos

Silenos

Ṿ̸̄Ọ̶͂Ỉ̶͉D̴̞͝ ̴̲̐A̷̾͜W̷̪͒Ā̵̯I̵͍̅T̵̛͔S̷̗͛
Jul 25, 2020
Yes

Reactions: Un- and demuic
4eyebiped

4eyebiped

Mage
Dec 28, 2019
Depression does dramatically affect the hippocampus, which of many things, controls memory. Then you add in the lack of focus which also affects your ability to create permanent memories. In short, yeah, sever depression and some mental illnesses can have an affect on memory, worsening with time. I remember very little of my childhood or adulthood. Then again, to be fair, I have done very little worth remembering.

I believe some antidepressants have the added benefit of neurogenesis which helps counteract atrophy of the hippocampus, but I am not a doctor, but instead a professional dumbass, so do your own research.

• Informative
Reactions: HateMyPointlessLife, Sick of it all, demuic and 4 others
hans0solo

hans0solo

Dec 10, 2021
@4eyebiped has a point. many 'mental illnesses' and coping mechanisms create issues with memory. there is also dissocation, DID (dissocaitive identity disorder) and TBI. For many years, because I dealt with severe depression and dissocation, I could hardly read or write. I also deal with what I think is aphasia.

Reactions: akana
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I definitely have memory loss, whether it's from an actual mental illness or just from the many attempts I made to forget things that have traumatized me, I can't fully say.

• Hugs
Reactions: Un-, Sick of it all, akana and 1 other person
Wojaczek

Wojaczek

Student
Oct 24, 2021
Yeah but also because of alcoholism

Reactions: looseye
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
Yes. It only gets worse as time goes on. I can't remember anything unless it's literally staring me right in the face at this point.

I face something similar, often constantly forgetting certain words or the names of things.

Whether it's something important or special to me makes no difference, it all gets washed away. It's maddening and particularly devasrating to me to live like this and definitely contributes to my desire to CTB.

Reactions: HateMyPointlessLife
callme

callme

I'm a loose cannon - I bang all the time.
Aug 15, 2021
Does anyone suffer from.. wha's the question? I forgot

• Yay!
Reactions: looseye
hans0solo

hans0solo

Dec 10, 2021
I now carry a small notebook in my pocket and freely admit to my disability... it could be executive function issues, or what have you. I am entitled to cope with the world in the best way I can. I forget. And I want tools to remember like online calendar apps.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sick of it all
onlyanimalsaregood

onlyanimalsaregood

Unlovable 💔 Rest in peace CommitSudoku 🤍
Mar 11, 2022
What is aphasia?

hans0solo

hans0solo

Dec 10, 2021
What happens when you have aphasia? Aphasia is a disorder that affects how you communicate. It can impact your speech, as well as the way you write and understand both spoken and written language. Aphasia usually happens suddenly after a stroke or a head injury.

Hirokami

Hirokami

Out of order
Feb 21, 2021
My short-term memory is terrible because of my mental health. I sometimes can't even remember what someone told me two minutes ago.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
i basically have zero short term memory. if the memory didnt get moved to my long term i have zero hope in remembering it. i had the cat food out BESIDE ME and forgot to feed my cats within seconds

A

akirat9

エクトリアン
Sep 23, 2022
yes but pain not enough for disability not care, even with medical record

StolenLife

StolenLife

Warlock
Sep 19, 2022
Yeah, lately I've been struggling to memorize faces of my Uni classmates. I literally can't remember their faces it's like I see them for the first time every time... To be fair I have a lot of different classes with a different batch of those same people but still...
Also I don't remember a single worthy memory that stands out since about 2016 and I forgot the entirety of the high school experience.

H

HateMyPointlessLife

Dec 31, 2021
I can barely remember anything. It's gotten so bad. My ability to focus, or remember anything is worryingly bad. And I've always had bad social anxiety that makes communicating with people difficult, but lately I can barely focus at all on what someone is saying, or what to say back. Not such a problem with my long term memory. All the things I'd rather forget, are ingrained in that part of my memory. But anything short term, I can barely remember, and I feel like a complete moron