S

shelaysdown

sleeping in, for today
Dec 4, 2023
I've been trying not to cut myself lately but it's been super tough because of how strong my ideation has been.
So I've started using a new tactic - I hyperventilate until I faint. It gives me a moment of peace, and an escape from my horrible thoughts when it's really bad. My hands get cold, and I feel my thoughts get slow and thick. It's weirdly satisfying, knowing I'm starving my brain of its grief, if only for a little while.
Does anyone else do this? Could I give myself brain damage if I do it too much? I'd prefer not to lose brain cells but right now it's my best method of keeping myself from doing worse things.

• Love
Reactions: alltoomuch2
S

Soupster

Student
Aug 14, 2024
No personal experience with it, as I've never been able to make myself pass out, despite trying on a number of occasions. As to the danger... it is never non zero when you deprive the brain of oxygen or blood. Back when I would blood choke people in the BDSM community I was always very careful to stop right at the threshold for this reason. That said, I'd imagine with hyperventilating the risk would be slightly lower as your still breathing and your body would normalize it quickly when you black out. Don't take that for science though please and do your own research.