W

whereismymind

Nov 25, 2020
Hey, just a weird question for you guys. Does anyone else enjoy long bus rides just to calm yourselves? My "home" is a toxic trap, I am depressed and all I wanna do sometimes is just to take a bus anywhere, just sit there, look out the window, enjoy the views and listen to music. Only then I feel free for a while, I don't care where I'm going, I don't care when I will be there, I don't have to care about anything, it soothes me in this weird way. I wish I could do that through the whole Christmas time, just to get out, it is the worst time of year for me. Everyone is so happy and looking forward to it, for me it's hell on earth, to pretend everything is fine while "celebrating" with my neurotic mother and alcoholic father who hate each other. What a bliss.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: hungry_ghost, _Minsk, Nomad7 and 10 others
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Indeed! There are few things that can make me fall asleep as fast as a bus ride between work and home.

I would guess that the soothing feeling comes from the fact that you have isolated yourself from the world and its worries by riding the bus. While on the bus, no one knows that you are there, and you may not have any reason to ponder over any problems that you may have, while riding the bus, because you have no way of approaching them right then and there anyway, so as I see it, it is a good way of letting go of everything for a while and enjoy the view.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: D&D, whereismymind and AtMostOkay
dkelseyd

dkelseyd

Dec 18, 2021
Yes! Being 'nowhere' can be heavenly. I never want bus rides to end.

• Love
Reactions: D&D, whereismymind, fr0ggie and 1 other person
AtMostOkay

AtMostOkay

Screw your courage to the sticking place.
Jun 29, 2021
Yes, very much. The disconnected commute from one obligation to another has become vital to my very survival. I imagine never, ever stopping the ride, continuing until, finally on foot, I fall.

• Hugs
Reactions: D&D and whereismymind
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Nothing relaxes me really, or ever makes me feel better. The only bus I want to go on, is the one that leads to eternal nothingness. I am pleased for you that you have something that is a relief from the suffering. I wish you the best.

• Hugs
WrongPlaceWrongTime

WrongPlaceWrongTime

Better never to have been
Jul 4, 2021
Empty buses are a luxury. If one is too crowded I'd rather walk

• Love
Reactions: hungry_ghost, D&D, fr0ggie and 1 other person
fatefulstillness

fatefulstillness

ghost.
Oct 24, 2021
Yes! Long bus rides have saved me many times when things got ugly. I especially love it if I travel alone and I get to watch the sunset, window open. I feel like I can exist in a different way for a little while, sometimes it's the closest I get to resting.

• Hugs
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, D&D and whereismymind
NearlyIrrelevantCake

NearlyIrrelevantCake

The Cake Is A Lie
Aug 12, 2021
I enjoy the bus, always have. My family never had a car and I've been a cripple since high school, so it's the bus or hope that what I need is super close by [within 2 blocks] so I can walk there/back.

• Hugs
Reactions: D&D
W

whereismymind

Nov 25, 2020
Thanks guys for the replies, it's nice to know I'm not alone in this. In a way we are all connected :) Wishing you the best!

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: D&D and Callie Arcale
Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

Itā€™s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
Yes. And train rides. I communted for long periods of time during my 20s.

Winters were the best. And rainy days. To just sit and look out the window as new landscapes unfolded right before my eyes. Effortless. Peaceful. Perfect. How is that I felt I had arrived, although I was moving?

Thich Nhat Hahn has a nice quote that I just thought of: There is no way home. Home is the way.

• Love
Reactions: D&D, whereismymind and medjooled11
CrossroadsCurious

CrossroadsCurious

"Why do we do what we do?"
Dec 12, 2021
Yes to OP, totally was there back during my darkest depression days. Just going anywhere was better then going home to my wife.

• Hugs
Reactions: D&D, Callie Arcale and whereismymind
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
Yes, there have been bus trips that have been very relaxing to sit through. I will be looking forward to my one way trip soon. Hope the bus comes soon.

sad break up GIF by nog

• Hugs
Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

ā€œYe shall be as gods..šŸŽ šŸā€
Jun 22, 2021
Yes very much. I used to take long bus trips few years ago when i feel overwhelmed with depression and lonliness

• Hugs
D&D

D&D

Write something, even if itā€™s just a suicide note.
Dec 3, 2021
There is something eerily soothing in the passing of landscapes outside the windows, moving from down to dusk and back ... drifting.

But it is trains for me ... I love trains. The old fashioned, slow ones. If I could, I would board the old trans-Siberian ... one way only.

Train

Reactions: Nomad7 and Lost Magic
B

blackvelvet

Jan 6, 2022
It's the most peaceful thing, nowhere but everywhere

8AEM

8AEM

Jan 5, 2022
I feel the same. Vehicle rides are the best form of escapism.

_Minsk

_Minsk

death: the cure for life
Dec 9, 2019
Yes it calms me a lot, its very soothing:)
Edit: i also love long bus/train rides at night or better while rain + storm outsidešŸ’¤šŸ˜“šŸŒŒ

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: whereismymind and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Nolan96

Nolan96

Mage
Feb 12, 2022
Long bus rides between cities through forested rural areas can be soothing, especially around dusk or dawn.

It's rare that I get to have a truly stress-free one because there are always tense things waiting for me at the destination, or someone loud and stinking and rude and blaring their horrible music on the bus.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: whereismymind
Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
Yeah. If my life weren't so shitty I'd take them all the time, as much for the trip as for the destination.

ClownMe

ClownMe

Don't Cry for Me, I'm Already Dead
Apr 7, 2021
Not a big fan of bus rides, I don't mind a good train trip as long as the other passengers aren't complete froot loops.

S

ShadowsFall

Lost and forgotten
Jul 15, 2021
Not really. Obnoxiously loud passengers, arguments between other passengers or bus driver, the smell of skunk weed, among other things.