N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
In my homecountry they currently discuss assisted suicide. The highest court allowed it but many don't want it. Today there was a congress of doctors and some want to deny the right of a peacefull death. They say many suicidal thoughts are only fragile, ambivalent, temporarily and many who tried to ctb don't want to do it again.
Fuck these basterds. I've suicidal thoughts since 8 years.They just don't want to be confronted with negativity and they are scared of judicial consequences.
HOWEVER I've just read they docotrs are now not longer prohibited to give help in dying. I hope so much we get a good euthanasia law. Everyone in the world should have access to a peacefull death.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: nitrogennitrite2, whitefeather, alown and 13 others
H

HopelessFight

Warlock
Jan 31, 2021
Well, the doctors aren't wrong in the sense that a large size of the population deals with suicidal thoughts at some point in their life and it goes away after some time or with some treatment. They forget to mention that for another part of the population, life is a hell, even when all sorts of therapies have been tried or because of physical injuries.

I think part of their resistence for assisted dying is they fear they would be admitting the medical world cannot help everyone.

Reactions: AtLeastThere'sSalad, whitefeather, HowNowBrownCow and 13 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Temporary? Tell that to my 12-year-old self lol

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: whitefeather, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, voyager and 9 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I think euthanasia is an basic human right as we did not ask to be born so therefore should have a right to die. Yes, some people are suicidal as they are going through a bad period in their life. However many people in this world are going through extreme suffering that has no sign of ending. It is cruel to basically force them to live or do methods that might go wrong. People would put their pet out of its misery if it was suffering.

• Love
Reactions: nitrogennitrite2, HowNowBrownCow, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 5 others
EdibleGasMask

EdibleGasMask

Jan 30, 2020
I feel like even if assisted suicide was approved. It would be super regulated and you might be barred from having assisted suicide due to not having any debilitating illness, extremely elderly, diseases , cancer to warrant your suffering in the governments eyes. They've still got money to extract out of you while you are still alive.

• Love
Reactions: whitefeather, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Trench and 6 others
P

paininme

Nov 17, 2020
In my personal situation the suicidal thoughts come and go sometimes the urge is greater some days I don't think about it but the overall dark cloud never leaves and the fact I know suicide is how I will die some day so I guess for some people it is temporary but for some the pain of life is too much it's permanent no amount of pills and therapy can change it

• Hugs
Reactions: whitefeather, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Trench and 1 other person
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
Yes suicidal thoughts are temporary; just like a malignent tumour, and the life of its carrier which it will eventually end.

Reactions: AtLeastThere'sSalad, whitefeather, HowNowBrownCow and 7 others
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
If they want to deny suicide, then it's on them to find a solution to suicidal thoughts and the general misery that leads to suicide. But of course, they won't be held to that.

Reactions: FuneralCry, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, noname223 and 1 other person
nolongerhuman

nolongerhuman

Arcanist
Feb 9, 2021
My suicidal thoughts certainly are temporary, because I am going to kill myself and then they will go away!

In all seriousness, every person that I know with suicidal thoughts has had them on a regular basis for a very long time. I'm starting to suspect that 'suicidal thoughts are temporary' is the exception rather than the rule.

Reactions: whitefeather, FuneralCry, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 1 other person
T

Tree frog

Apr 1, 2021
Well, the doctors aren't wrong in the sense that a large size of the population deals with suicidal thoughts at some point in their life and it goes away after some time or with some treatment. They forget to mention that for another part of the population, life is a hell, even when all sorts of therapies have been tried or because of physical injuries.

I think part of their resistence for assisted dying is they fear they would be admitting the medical world cannot help everyone.
I think this is really well said.
I also believe most people who are against access to suicide are using the logic that it is a temporary pychosis and people can be treated and have good lives. They're not neccesarily bad people who think this and of course they are correct for many situations but very misguided in others.
But like you say its the other % of suicidal people who are suffering intolerably and euthanasia is the kindest option who are being forgotten here. They are being lumped together with those who can be succesfully treated and that's a vast over simplification of the issue. Causing great suffering whilst we wait for society to catch up.

...I think imay have just repeated what you said after all that! ah well never mind

Reactions: whitefeather, FuneralCry, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 2 others
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
The problem is that we have to draw a black-and-white distinction somewhere along the line of a wide spectrum.

At one extreme is a healthy and productive individual who merely has a rough patch and needs minimal support to overcome some suicidal thoughts.

At the other extreme is someone terminally ill who will die next week, slowly in excruciating pain if denied a humane solution involving peaceful euthanasia.

To start with, we should be thankful that grown-up discussion is starting to emerge worldwide. People who oppose euthanasia under all circumstances are ignorant, inhumane or both. (And so are people who think that N should be freely distributed to schoolkids.) May humanity emerge from the dark ages soon!

• Love
Reactions: whitefeather, FuneralCry and Tree frog
MindFrog

MindFrog

:Professional Hypocrite:
Nov 19, 2020
Man, I don't know if they're just so out-of-touch or they just refuse give depressed peace a choice? It's fine if intervention is done first before the patient can decide proceed thru assisted suicide but flat out saying no is just nuts.

I do hope that these doctors at least support providing quality and affordable mental health care cause if they don't, then that's just saying "suicidal people can go fuck themselves".

Reactions: FuneralCry
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
Those doctors need to learn the meaning of do no harm. Then again, for some people, the medical profession orchestrates their suffering and agony for no reason other than to prolong a painful existence.

I hope one day there will be euthanasia without the involvement of bastard healthcare workers who have no business meddling in affairs of philosophy and mortality.

It should not be a doctor, family member, partner, friend, lawyer, or acquaintance's choice, it should be down to the will of the individual and the decision they make for themselves. A person's right to die is their choice and theirs alone. These people should not be the gatekeepers of self deliverance.

Reactions: HowNowBrownCow, FuneralCry and demuic
S

StarLight

Apr 17, 2021
It probably is temporary for most people, but that doesn't mean assisted suicide should be denied to anyone not suffering from a terminal physical illness. Personally I've been here this long so I'd be willing to wait a year or more if a longer wait time was required to ensure someone isn't just going through something temporary.

Reactions: Ame