S

stillunemployed

lol lmao
Jun 1, 2023
Seen more places, met more people?
I've always had this weird notion in my mind, that to grow you need see more things, talk to people, as many as possible. Have all sorts of interactions with them. Always strive to go out of your comfort zone and have interesting conversations.

Of course I've had the misfortune to meet incredibly gregarious people who were complete assholes. My father and my sister are like that. Very sociable, without any anxiety.
But they're also narcissistic jerks and refuse to learn anything. Their personalities for decades are just a straight line. No changes.

I guess this question is more for the older users.

• Hugs
Reactions: JealousOfTheElderly and The anhedonic one
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I remember being young and feeling incredibly excited at the prospect of travel. I sometimes had dreams of going abroad and the desire was overwhelming. But fast forward a couple of decades and it feels like people are the same wherever one goes, I never feel genuinely connected and no amount of sights means anything when anhedonia has taken hold.

Not sure if it's related, but I have an Nfather and Nsisters too.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep, rationaltake and The anhedonic one
The anhedonic one

The anhedonic one

Dead inside
May 20, 2023
I travelled through America and Canada on a Greyhound bus in my thirties. I didn't really like it as much as I thought I would have.
I was still the same depressed person throughout the trip, and all cities and people are basically the same wherever you go.
I have not travelled since and have no desire to go anywhere anymore.
I was going to go to Mexico for N but even that is now looking unlikely.

TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
I don't particularly enjoy travelling. I'm mostly OK with doing it if, for example, I'm attending an event in a nearby city for a couple of days, but I don't imagine that's the sort of "travelling" you're asking about.

For a while I told myself I should want to travel, because "that's what people want", and sort of forced myself to do it a few times. The experiences weren't bad, but not anything I would've misses had I stayed home, while I do remember missing the predictability and freedom of being in my own home.

Now, sometimes do wish that I'd gone to more concerts in my late teens and 20s. Went to a lot of local shows, but going to the big events with bands you've actually heard of requires a bit of travelling as well.

J

JealousOfTheElderly

Everything's gonna be OK
Aug 28, 2020
When I was younger, I traveled a lot. I visited all these places here in the US on a budget. I also went to Europe and traveled around western Europe on a shoestring budget.
I got older, had to start adulting, my body isn't what it used to be, have bills to pay, and feel kind of stuck. I also have pets to take care of so traveling has been put on hold.
Also, everything got really expensive in the last 5 years. These things combined made me a homebody.
I'm hoping that if I make it to old age, I'll find a rekindled love for traveling.

vitbar

vitbar

Escaped Lunatic
Jun 4, 2023
I've basically been cooped up most of my life and I regret not seeing more of the world. Meeting more people. Living.

• Aww..
Reactions: stillunemployed and Zegers
U

Unending

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2022
I used to have a long-term goal of moving out of my country. Long story short, I've had to learn to accept not even moving out of the house as things keep getting worse and life gives me practically nothing but pain.

• Aww..
Reactions: ð–£´ nadia ð–£´, Twntysix and Zegers
jazzcat

jazzcat

dark eyed and miserable
May 19, 2023
I do yeah, I wish I had more money to travel more, ideally I'd also like to be less anxious to enjoy my trips more
my dream was to visit new york city, I literally don't care if it's a filthy place I've always wanted to visit those museums but it seems like I won't make it

D

didn't-it-rain

Nov 5, 2022
I wish I traveled more in my 20's. Of course, I guess I probably traveled more than a lot of people. But I've had dreams of exploring the globe as long as I can remember -- I'd just never had the confidence to make it a reality. I read all the time of backpackers in their early 20's. Seems like most people you meet in hostels are that age. I essentially wasted my 20's.

I did travel for four months straight last year, though. However, my anxiety and depression caught up with me and forced me back home earlier than I would have liked. I still have the money to travel, but I'm just trying to get my mental health in order first. That is if I don't ctb first. Travel is literally one of the only things I get excited about but knowing I'll never see every place just makes me feel hopeless. Knowing that I may never be able to swing it long-term. I can't even depend on or cling on to this one thing to give me a glimmer of happiness or purpose.

Of course there's a whole bevy of reasons I'm depressed and I hate myself and I want to die, though -- I don't mean to imply that this one, admittedly quite trivial, thing is what's pushing me over the edge. It feels shameful even talking about it, an upper-class problem y'kno?

Last edited:
S

stillunemployed

lol lmao
Jun 1, 2023
I wish I traveled more in my 20's. Of course, I guess I probably traveled more than a lot of people. But I've had dreams of exploring the globe as long as I can remember -- I'd just never had the confidence to make it a reality. I read all the time of backpackers in their early 20's. Seems like most people you meet in hostels are that age. I essentially wasted my 20's.

I did travel for four months straight last year, though. However, my anxiety and depression caught up with me and forced me back home earlier than I would have liked. I still have the money to travel, but I'm just trying to get my mental health in order first. That is if I don't ctb first. Travel is literally one of the only things I get excited about but knowing I'll never see every place just makes me feel hopeless. Knowing that I may never be able to swing it long-term. I can't even depend on or cling on to this one thing to give me a glimmer of happiness or purpose.

Of course there's a whole bevy of reasons I'm depressed and I hate myself and I want to die, though -- I don't mean to imply that this one, admittedly quite trivial, thing is what's pushing me over the edge. It feels shameful even talking about it, an upper-class problem y'kno?
I know exactly what you mean. I would have gone to lots places, money has never been in issue. It's just that people only look at me with disdain and disgust.

like: "Hey look at this fucking insect. Why is this freak breathing the same air as me?"
I can't get past that and as I get older it only gets worse.

T

Twntysix

ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ
Aug 26, 2021
I would like to, but my money wont even cover domestic travel, let alone go abroad :/

RasinBoxECT

RasinBoxECT

idk what I'm doing
Jun 26, 2023
I agree that a lot of growth can come from seeing new things and talking to new people. It's always illuminating to see things from someone else's point of view. I'm not much of a people person though so I prefer to read about their experiences or watch videos on them.
I hate traveling but like hiking in remote places. Hiking in Iceland was easily the best. The scenery is gorgeous and you can't see anything man made.

Reactions: stillunemployed
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Sometimes I wonder how my life would have been if I'd had more confidence and less anxiety around people. I expect I would have been more willing to move around for work which may have introduced me to more people which may have meant more relationships and possibly travel/ holidays.

I don't actually mind travelling on my own, although- probably not abroad. Recently- it's more been about fear of covid and even more pressing- lack of funds to do it. Travelling was never really a burning desire of mine but I do think sometimes when you see incredible landscapes on TV- it must be really something to see that for real. It probably would have made a difference to my life though- yes because I'm lucky enough to still be able to enjoy things (I think.)

Actovania

Actovania

the same
Mar 30, 2023
It's my dream to be able to travel. If i don't give up by the end of it I want to be an anthropologist, working with and studying people on the other side of the earth. I think the idea of thinking you can go and travel wherever you want is pretty immature, but being able to talk to people who know nothing beyond their home can have a really positive effect on you. You'll be able to understand what keeps them happy in their small sphere of life, and carry that home with you.

Reactions: katagiri83