N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I was surprised when someone mentioned he or she was suicidal due to the environment/climate crisis. I don't want to judge pejoratively about other persons reasons for suicidality but this is clearly no reason for me personally to become suicidal.

I understand their fear. Humanity is destroying themselves but I think the current living generations won't have to endure the most horrible consequences of it. For me it is rather another very good argument for not procreating. It probably depends on where you live, your socioeconomic status, your age etc how much it will affect your life.

Personally I think my life is already that fucked the climate crisis is only a minor problem for me. I live in a rich country but I think the poor might suffer the most. That means people like me. But this is many years ahead of us. I think the problems will increase more and more. But as I said I think the most devastating consequences will not be "our" problems. You must imagine no matter how fucked the world will be the people won't stop procreating. There are so many people with incredible painful lives with barely hope for improvement. And these people will keep procreating no matter what.
The future generations will be really fucked. But the people who are currently living won't experience the most dramatic problems. This is at least one thought of mine which comforts me. The people in the future will likely have way way more problems with it than us.

I know that sounds selfish. But at least I won't procreate. This means less humans who need resources. I think the best thing we can do is less procreating, large investments in reduction of damaging emissions. trying to improve sustainability.

There are also reasons why we live at the expense of future generations. Like the trillions of debt we have, there will probably some financials crashes in the future. The whole pension scheme is a house of cards. It is ridiculous and the politicians need these voters this is why they pretend everything was fine. LMAO.

However I am rather optimistic for the future generations in general. I think many don't share this stance with me in this forum. But I think there is daily a lot of progress with new technologies. new information, better education, better health care, new treatments etc. I think in many instances the humankind is making progress. Of course there will always be negative developments. But I think the life for people will improve in general for average people. Not for me my life will deteriorate more and more due to my unsolvable problems. But I think there will be reforms against the inequality. I think eventually the predicament will be that big that they will have to force the rich to pay their fair share. The system can't survive without these reforms. There are many hints that the development will be that the governments/states will increase in their size also the welfare states.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
befree

befree

Time to do more enjoyable things _____Goodbye_____
Mar 22, 2022
No. The current generation is living at my expense.

Last edited:
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Why do you think things are improving? We are obviously on the brink of something worse than covid, and as an appetizer war erupted in Europe.

For me the rise of conspiracy theories, the far-right and Internet censorship marked the start of an era of conflict, in which humans are being forced to pick sides. You either want to uphold the status quo, or you don't. Things like the trespassing of the Capitol in January 5th don't happen when progress, harmony and abundance are in the cards.

I think the best era to exist in the modern times is behind us. The 2000s was the last decade that was worth a damn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Élégie, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, stygal and 5 others
Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
The few that control the worlds governments live at the expense of the many. And it will always be that way.

• Love
Reactions: Élégie, whatevs and Feeding Pigeons
the_town_manager

the_town_manager

pleasant dreams for tired eyes
Mar 25, 2022
Of course. But not only future generations. Also now-living people in other, poorer countries, and animals of all sorts. Life is all literally just a huge system of exploitation. All life thrives at the expense of other life. It's all grotesque and nightmarish if you look at it up close and without trying to whitewash it.

I think climate change and the resulting societal changes are perfectly valid and understandable reasons to consider suicide. I don't want to live through a new rise in far right politics and resource wars and who knows what else. It's anxiety-inducing to live in a system as rickety as this one.

Reactions: Green Destiny, Élégie, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 4 others
houseofleaves

houseofleaves

and this with thee remains.
Jan 14, 2022
Life is all literally just a huge system of exploitation. All life thrives at the expense of other life. It's all grotesque and nightmarish if you look at it up close and without trying to whitewash it.
THIS ++++

Reactions: Élégie, stygal, whatevs and 1 other person
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
THIS ++++
Though to be fair there's a small but consistent component of cooperation or symbiosis in life. The way complex life arose was that hat some cells and creatures cooperate to become a larger organism that will participate in the battle for survival and reproduction as a team.

Reactions: houseofleaves