N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
There was a survey about the data loss. Sone partcipation in the process.

I have thought about it. To which extent this forum is and should be democratic. I think if I was admin I would not let it be fully democratic. Maybe some democratic polls and in controversies listening to members. But if I was responsible for this forum and could be hold accountable I would only decide with which I am comfortable with.

I can remember when @Chinaski was banned and due to protest of the community he was re-allowed.
I think in such an instance it was good to follow the members.

However I think not in all debates listening to the crowd is a good advice. Most people here me included have probably zero education how actually one runs a forum and which conditions have to be fulfiled. I am not sure whether this forum would be really better if it was democratic. The preferences of the biggest demographic groups would be favored. In the past maybe incels would have been powerful (as a group). Trans people are now a big part of this forum. There are still attacks against them though. I prefer by far trans people over incels.

In democracies there have to be protection rights for minorities. I am not sure whether one can apply that to internet forums.
The suggestion section is a good example of participatory elements. Though not all ideas which are supported by members get implemented. I can understand that because also the implementation and technical details are unknown for most of us.

In the end I am uncertain. I think it is fine how it currently is. The comparison state and forum is not perfect. One could also compare a forum with a company instead.

Reactions: Forever Sleep
SnowWhite

SnowWhite

Semi-Professional Disappointment
Jan 16, 2020
My short two pence;

Things that effect the members as a whole (Data loss, general opinion polls, surveys) I agree with staff that it's worth gathering peoples opinions before enacting a decision, even if the poll doesn't align with the decision in the end

Things that effect the Forums or the Mods directly (Rule changes, Reformatting, Changing hosts etc) Should 100% be none of our business. As we've seen in the past when this forum gets negative attention its usually the mods that have to take the bullet, and in the cases of two mods a few years back, get doxxed and harrased by pro-lifers. Decisions that keep the forums safe and rules enforced should, in my opinion atleast, remain the mods decisions completely.

Reactions: Forever Sleep