• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Theoretically our life quality is measured in absolute wealth and modern medicine better than ever. Materially we live better lives than all kings from the 18th century. Of course life is way more than that. And wealth (and so poverty) is relative.

Centuries ago people had workdays of 18 hours per day 6 days a week. Many of their children died very early. Visiting the dentist was similar to a torture chamber. Women died giving birth. There was no electricity and no cars. Incest was common and more people were disabled because of this. Criminal punishments were often public torturing events for the whole family. Blasphemy got many people killed. They burnt people for being witches. Education was only accessible to a few. Not being straight and cis was a severe crime. (very often but not always in history)

And these people did not all jump off bridges?

Why? Was it solely the fear of punishment in the afterlife? Is fear the maindriver? Maybe combined with a lack of education?

I ask myself how much religion increases the level of happiness in a person. Would I be much happier if I believed in justice in my afterlife? Would I feel better if I was convinced I get rewarded for fulfiling my role in my life. Many people search for meaning and purpose. And can't find it in a modern world. This is why conspiracy theories and esotericism are so popular. If I believed evil people get punished in afterlife I might would feel better. Religion can really be like an opioid.

Religion comforts many people. But also causes a lot of misery.

Personally, being religious made everything worse for me. Especially the fear of hell. Some faiths would actually comfort me. But I think it would rather be like an actual cult for me. If I was certain a perfect afterlife is waiting for me I would probably kill myself immediately to escape the hell I am currently in.

• Informative
Reactions: GoatHerder and derpyderpins
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Proud Normie
Sep 19, 2023
In my observation, the "God-shaped hole in your heart" is absolutely real. I'm not going to speculate upon why that is, but it is real.

To put it a different way, I think people need to believe something is bigger than themselves to find satisfaction in life. Now, I'm hoping it doesn't have to be God, because I'm not able to make myself believe in religion anymore.

Start observing and you will find the people who try to fill that hole with themselves - with hedonism, selfishness, disinterest in others, misanthropy, etc. - are the most lost and miserable. It's not enough. Whether it be love of a partner, caring for a community, love of your family, an athletic pursuit, a career pursuit, an artistic pursuit, a search for spirtual enlightenment and understanding of the world around you, something else, or a combination of things, people need goals and purpose. It's a common topic on here because it's a tough subject. When you have religion and most of your day is spent working - as you describe in your post - it's easy: follow the religion, because who has time to think about anything else?

Now, we have more time to sit and think, and the religious stuff doesn't really add up. So, how do we fill the God-shaped hole? Lots of people have different answers, and I won't pretend to know what the answer is, but I know what it's not. It's not the self on its own. That's basically satanism, the worship of the self, a religion in its own right, but the opposite of the religion that actually made us happy - the worship of something else (whether it exists or not.)

For me, personally, it's about love and peace and learning about the good in the world amidst all the struggles we have these days. No answer will work for everyone.

Sorry that this doesn't really address the question in the title, but I think it addresses the content of your post.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoatHerder, noname223 and AbusedInnocent
AbusedInnocent

AbusedInnocent

Student
Apr 5, 2024
If we're talking about the afterlife specifically then knowing that in the afterlife I could have everything I ever wanted and my depression would be cured would definitely comfort me, even though I believe nonexistence to be a perfect state to be in I just can't comprehend it and would rather remain conscious just not experiencing any suffering.

Reactions: GoatHerder
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
There are plenty of things I would embrace life for if they were true facts but the problem is they aren't so what's even the point?

Reactions: Arachno and Agon321