N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I want to specify it. You can see education as an instrument that enables you to get a job. You get the skills taught at college. Or is there something intrisically valuable you get when you educate yourself? Moreover one could say even at college you barely learn anything which is important. Just cramming. In my language there is a specific term for cramming it is slightly different I think. It can be translated as bulimia-learning. It is a metaphor. In a short time you ingest the most facts possible and after the exam you throw them up/forget them immediately.
Yeah I cannot do that. I cannot learn so much at a short time. Also due to my conditions. I had way too much anxiety to start learning so late. My memory is not that good. I always study steadily. Though I am still extremely anxious to fail.

My approach is pretty different compared to my peers. I always studied in this manner. Due to my bullying and abuse I want to impress people with my knowledge and intelligence. Maybe this is why I consider education as an higher value. Though I have to admit I see kind of a metaphysical reason to study eagerly. It is kind of fulfiling to understand more and more about the universe and our societies. It gives me kind of a meaning in my life. Still life sucks but I see education as an higher value. I often overestimate my own knowledge and think I would know more than others. But there are people who know way more than me. The problem is my sources are often the media I should read more scientifical papers. But I enjoy it a lot to listen to newspaper articles. I have an app which reads them aloud. I love that.

Then there is another angle how to look at this topic. Maybe college and school is way too theoretical. And in fact we learn way better if we practice it for example at the work itself. I think this depends on the individual. I think I often suck at practicing (certain) jobs. I am really scared that my college diploma will be a waste of time because I will collapse at work as in the past. But I have recognized if the work is at least a little bit interesting it is way less crippling for me.

Then there are the people who say school and college is a wasted time at all. School does not tell you how life really works. How you pay taxes, how you drive and other way more important things. I personally disagree with this view. For example I loved to interpret poems. Yeah I don't need that in case I can work though it taught me a lot about language and what art can give you on a personal level.

It is really useful to have certain language skills. For example thankfully to my English courses in school I am able to understand English. Without that I could not participate fully in this forum.

I liked to study at school. The knowledge you get there is far more broad and general knowledge. In college the knowledge is more specific and I think it resembles more this stereotype of bulimia-learning/crammling.

What are your thought on it?

To add one thing: I think I have kind of this philosophical approach to this topic. One of my former professors said when he was young he wanted to know more about the truth. What truth is and how we can find it. It is not exactly my thought but they are similar.

It would be interesting for me trying to get the highest diploma as possible. It would be very interesting for me. A challenge. Though I am this ill that I have to pray to get a bachelor dimploma. The odds are against me. I am very vulnerable.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DiscT, FML_ and katagiri83
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I do not think that it has any value personally. Schools are just a way to torture people, forcing people to learn information all for the sake of it. Maybe it is different if you get some enjoyment and interest out of what you are studying. But I personally hated anything to do with education.

• Hugs
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Suicidebydeath
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Education is extremely valuable, but "Education" and "school and college" are neither equivalent nor intrinsic to one another. I've met many idiots who have made their way through university and now have a good job.

Einstein didn't do well in school.

In fact, I would go as far as to say that school is for fools.

Reactions: tannu132
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I want to specify it. You can see education as an instrument that enables you to get a job. You get the skills taught at college. Or is there something intrisically valuable you get when you educate yourself? Moreover one could say even at college you barely learn anything which is important. Just cramming. In my language there is a specific term for cramming it is slightly different I think. It can be translated as bulimia-learning. It is a metaphor. In a short time you ingest the most facts possible and after the exam you throw them up/forget them immediately.
Yeah I cannot do that. I cannot learn so much at a short time. Also due to my conditions. I had way too much anxiety to start learning so late. My memory is not that good. I always study steadily. Though I am still extremely anxious to fail.

My approach is pretty different compared to my peers. I always studied in this manner. Due to my bullying and abuse I want to impress people with my knowledge and intelligence. Maybe this is why I consider education as an higher value. Though I have to admit I see kind of a metaphysical reason to study eagerly. It is kind of fulfiling to understand more and more about the universe and our societies. It gives me kind of a meaning in my life. Still life sucks but I see education as an higher value. I often overestimate my own knowledge and think I would know more than others. But there are people who know way more than me. The problem is my sources are often the media I should read more scientifical papers. But I enjoy it a lot to listen to newspaper articles. I have an app which reads them aloud. I love that.

Then there is another angle how to look at this topic. Maybe college and school is way too theoretical. And in fact we learn way better if we practice it for example at the work itself. I think this depends on the individual. I think I often suck at practicing (certain) jobs. I am really scared that my college diploma will be a waste of time because I will collapse at work as in the past. But I have recognized if the work is at least a little bit interesting it is way less crippling for me.

Then there are the people who say school and college is a wasted time at all. School does not tell you how life really works. How you pay taxes, how you drive and other way more important things. I personally disagree with this view. For example I loved to interpret poems. Yeah I don't need that in case I can work though it taught me a lot about language and what art can give you on a personal level.

It is really useful to have certain language skills. For example thankfully to my English courses in school I am able to understand English. Without that I could not participate fully in this forum.

I liked to study at school. The knowledge you get there is far more broad and general knowledge. In college the knowledge is more specific and I think it resembles more this stereotype of bulimia-learning/crammling.

What are your thought on it?

To add one thing: I think I have kind of this philosophical approach to this topic. One of my former professors said when he was young he wanted to know more about the truth. What truth is and how we can find it. It is not exactly my thought but they are similar.

It would be interesting for me trying to get the highest diploma as possible. It would be very interesting for me. A challenge. Though I am this ill that I have to pray to get a bachelor dimploma. The odds are against me. I am very vulnerable.

It's hard to say what style of education is best, since not all have been practiced everywhere yet, but I would think that an apprentice system would be more beneficial than a regular school system that takes about 15 to 25 years to finish.

Within the regular school system, a lot of time is wasted on unnecessary subjects, and that's time that could have gone to actually learning a real skill by someone who's already working in the field that one is interested in. As it stands now, companies can't find skilled labor, and many positions require people to have about three years of work experience, which means that prospective applicants will never even be able to get those jobs, so everyone is caught in a stalemate.

Having said the above, though, the education system is also a population control system - how else is society supposed to determine who will get the high-paying job, and who will get the low-paying job, since not everyone can be an engineer, doctor and so on due to the need for there to be shelve stockers, truck drivers and janitors..? In other words, the education system just exemplifies that life is a competition which most people are forced into.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiscT and artificial_ineptness
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Education is inherently valuable. It's always helpful in my book to understand the world better. Whether college offers that is another issue. You have to have the right mindset and a good teacher to get a true education. Most people have neither which is why school ends up as a mere job skills exercise.

Reactions: DiscT
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Knowledge has value but imo all forms of education beyond self-teaching have been transformed into complacency factories trying to funnel as many people as possible into becoming obedient work horses. It's not for everyone but it sadly does fit for a lot of people and is certainly way less costly than letting everyone be able to freely access and engage with only the information they genuinely want to learn as opposed to being forced to fill their minds with details they either don't need or don't care about.

But that may be a biased take from someone who hates learning. Even topics that interest me start getting boring the moment I have to expend whatever my body decides is too much effort to have to pick up.

Reactions: DiscT