W

whatsthepoint

Jul 17, 2018
(Don't know why "US" isn't capitalized in the title. I definitely tried to capitalize it, but it's not showing up that way. Sorry for any confusion that may cause.)

I feel like this country is so goddamned uncompassionate, and it's just trending more and more towards an advocacy of outright sociopathy. The chances of assisted suicide ever being legalized, at least during my lifetime, seem to be slim-to-none. I might very well die of natural causes (or kill myself; whichever comes first) before that happens. I have many chronic digestive disorders that cause me a ton of pain, but does society care about that? Of course not. I'm supposed to shut up and earn a living, even if doing so is slowly killing me due to stress and anxiety. And it doesn't help, either, that jobs are becoming more and more scarce here these days, especially for autistic people like me. (Nor does it help that I'm not a typical autistic person, in that I have no interest in Computer Science or coding.) I had to try to apply for jobs for 8 long, depressing years before I finally got my current job as a Library Page, and even that job is too much for me.

I just want out. I want some sort of hope that I'll someday be able to humanely and safely kill myself and end my daily misery. Yet it seems like that sort of hope is beyond me.

Reactions: Journeytoletgo, Zzzzz, tearsinrain and 11 others
deflagrat

deflagrat

¡Si hablas español mándame un mensaje privado!
Apr 9, 2018
I thought they were selling guns in USA, isn't that like telling you "go for it I don't care"? That's what I would understand if I was from USA.

Reactions: lv-gras, Strumgewehr and Ashpac
D

Deleted member 847

I thought they were selling guns in USA, isn't that like telling you "go for it I don't care"? That's what I would understand if I was from USA.
I agree. Just take some drugs and press the goddamn button

Reactions: mattwitt, atwasoa, Strumgewehr and 2 others
C

Comatose11

Mage
Jul 26, 2018

Not everyone can get a gun though. :/ I cannot because I've been in the mental hospital.

Reactions: uxorious, Tiburcio and PatKat
Aponia & Ataraxia

Aponia & Ataraxia

Experienced
Jun 24, 2018
Not everyone can get a gun though. :/ I cannot because I've been in the mental hospital.

That post your referring to isn't exactly advocating using guns...

Reactions: Tiburcio
C

Comatose11

Mage
Jul 26, 2018
Reactions: Morning Angel, uxorious, leader-akiko and 2 others
Justanotherconsumer

Justanotherconsumer

Paragon
Jul 9, 2018
There are a few states, but only if you are terminally ill, and even then they dont make it easy, if they were truly compassionate they could put you under with general anaesthesia.

Reactions: Morning Angel, tearsinrain and Comatose11
M

Morning Angel

Useless Broken Wings
Aug 8, 2018
The chances of assisted suicide ever being legalized, at least during my lifetime, seem to be slim-to-none.
I agree. I think only Oregon and California allow death with dignity and even in these states it's only permitted for such limited cases. So long as we continue to have political forces at work doing "right to live" advocacy it's going to take a lot of time and advocacy. It would also require more states incrementally adopting euthanasia, which will take decades to create precedence. A lot of the anti-euthanasia groups tend to be religious groups and their dogma has a strong influence on a lot of policies in the U.S.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Zzzzz, ScaredOfLife and 3 others
M

Morning Angel

Useless Broken Wings
Aug 8, 2018
I think only Oregon and California allow death with dignity
I need to correct this, there are a handful of other states in the U.S. (e.g. CO, DC) that have euthanasia but I don't know the legalities around it.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
As long as the Jesus freaks have their way their won't be. :( They just prefer to let people suffer to "Preserve" life no matter how bad the quality of life is.

Reactions: Journeytoletgo, Deleted_9cKnXB34QG and lv-gras
N

No1SpecL2U

Jul 22, 2018
I agree. Just take some drugs and press the goddamn button
Lost my father this way at 3, 20 years later my best friend the same. Witnessing the mess and aiding in cleaning up didn't help. I've been suicidal with my own personal arms and even with the amount of times I've put one of them to my head, I obviously haven't done it and can't go out that way.

If it was that simple, why not keep trying to hang yourself daily after intoxicated until you're gone? We can all use the get it right excuse, but then just don't let a minute pass without trying to succeed if now is exactly our moment.

C

CRM

Idiot
Jul 13, 2018
For the terminally ill, yes. It will take some time to be federal law, though.

On demand? No. I think that American society would collapse before that would be a thing.

Reactions: Morning Angel