FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I could never do, as I see suicide as being self care, it's suffering prevention and it's the option for one to take control over their inevitable fate and find true relief from this existence they were burdened with, suicide is something relieving for the individual, it's a personal choice that one has every right to make rather than being the most terrible tragedy.

I don't see it as being sad that someone is now unable to suffer in such a hellish world where there is unlimited potential to be tormented, I see non-existence as being the only relief in this existence filled with harm, there's no peace and relief from suffering in existing.

The tragic thing to me is how existence so unnecessarily causes one to suffer, the existence of life itself is something so tragic to me as without existence there would be no suffering. It's tragic how this cycle of senseless cruelty and unnecessary suffering continues to repeat where existing beings are forced out of the state of non-existence, are burdened with the ability to suffer endlessly in such a dangerous world where there are so many risks.

I see existence itself as being the true problem so for me the tragedy doesn't lie in how people chose to find peace from it all, in fact I envy those people and anyway death is the most normal thing, I would always prefer to leave on my own terms than be slowly tortured by old age.

I think suicide is the best way to die and allowing people to leave in peace would be compassionate, we are destined for nowhere but to die and instead of suicide being tragic, the tragedy also lies in how suicide is purposely made so difficult, the fact that this society is so anti-suicide just leads to more agony.

Reactions: Starry✧・゚Daze, Toxinebulaic, swaraj and 6 others
ringo99

ringo99

Arcanist
Apr 18, 2023
I don't give a damn about it being tragic or heroic or any other ic. I approach it in a logical manner. I see it as a relief from suffering. I've exhausted all methods of ending my pain which now makes ctb the last and only avenue available to me. Vizzy is my inspiration. He was meticulous and dispassionate in his advice to me and the way he went about giving advice to everyone else in this forum choosing only to focus on essentials on not unnecessary fluff. I really miss him but he's in a better place now. Just ctb and get it all over with, that's how he saw things and so will I.

• Love
Reactions: cscott, GiftedCabbie, Deleted member 65988 and 2 others
day

day

Global Mod
Jun 24, 2023
I see CTB as a way for those suffering to get out and I can't blame anyone for wanting to do that as existence is so horrible.. I see suffering as a tragedy and it's so unfair because none of us asked to exist in the first place. To a degree I envy those who CTB as I wish I could myself right now but I'm forced to wait as I have a big deal with the date I'd like to do it on. I hope when I finally pass no one thinks it's tragic and they just leave me to rest like I want.

• Hugs
Reactions: Starry✧・゚Daze and Praestat_Mori
M

martinso67

All human rights are important
Feb 5, 2021
If the person did it by her/his own decision without outside pressures (like bullying, harassing) then it's the person's own decision like what they eat or choose to wear.
Also humans compared to other animals have a large frontex, which makes them do rational decision and not rely only on their instincts and feelings.

Reactions: swaraj and Praestat_Mori
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
people protecting themselves for harm can never be tragic, it would be better to never exist at all

Reactions: sighplus10, Kerrtu and Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Suicide is the personal relief from suffering someone does not want to endure. Therefore this can never be "tragic". What is tragic is that all suicidal people are more or less forced to endure their suffering due to restricted methods, pro-lifers interfering and so on.

Reactions: conarc, floralheaddress and Kerrtu
deadwinter

deadwinter

i want to see angels
Apr 7, 2023
No. Suicide is committed when the suffering of life is unbearable, to which death is a comforting escape. The most tragic aspect of suicide is the pain and misery leading up to the event.

Reactions: conarc, Praestat_Mori, Starry✧・゚Daze and 2 others
codedarchaeologist

codedarchaeologist

everybody ends up where the river meets the sea
Jan 21, 2023
In a way, I see (some) suicide as less tragic than non-suicide deaths. When a person dies against their will as a result of illness or violence or old age, that is extremely tragic. It is quite seriously the worst thing in the world that people have to die when they do not want to. So when someone wants to die and ctb's, at least they went voluntarily. Obviously not everyone who dies by suicide wants to die, and in these cases it's still a tragic involuntary death, circumstance having forced their hands.

No-one who wants to live should be forced to die, whether by nature or human action, and no-one who wants to die should be forced to live. That being said, we can and should still mourn suicides and the fact that they weren't given a live worth living.

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Starry✧・゚Daze
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Yes- in terms of- this life is so cruel to some people. Things get so bad and so lonely and desperate that the only way out is to hurt themselves. I wish this world had been a better place for them. I wish they hadn't been plagued with illness or cruel people or awful circumstances. It's mainly that their life I suppose was tragic. Their death may have actually been a release. Still- things never should have gotten that bad in the first place. Suicide I do find tragic because it points directly at the pain humans suffer.

• Love
imcurious

imcurious

May 6, 2022
It is tragic to live a life that you wish you had, yet others have exactly what you want. It is tragic to suffer and hurt deeply in this lifetime. It's even more tragic that in order to regain control of our lives, we need to CTB. It's the way of the world, but it doesn't make it much else easier.

• Hugs
W

who doesn't matter

Student
Jun 17, 2019
CTB isn't tragic but the circumstances leading to it are. That's what I think. All of us here desired a good life but the world simply fucked us over and over. So, CTB comes as a natural (and most viable) conclusion for this fucked up story.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Starry✧・゚Daze and todiefor
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I see it as tragic. I find it absolutely horrendous that we live in such a world where so many find themselves having to resort to suicide to escape life's brutality and torment. Why isn't that tragic? Why isn't it sad?

Reactions: Starry✧・゚Daze and todiefor
Wyldfyre4948

Wyldfyre4948

Waiting for my bus
Jul 12, 2023
It's tragic to end one's life prematurely. The problem is that not everyone will understand the suffering that leads someone to want to end their life. Not being understood and seen as selfish by the people you leave behind.

Never fully understood and when you try no one listens. After you're gone people wonder why even if you tried to explain what was going on. Absolute tragedy.

vitbar

vitbar

Escaped Lunatic
Jun 4, 2023
To me it is tragic because of what leads a person to do it. Ideally I think most of us would make other choices if we could. Like I read about a case of assisted suicide where the person went ahead with it because he couldn't get the care he needed for a fulfilling life.

• Love
Reactions: Starry✧・゚Daze
SMK1444

SMK1444

Addicted to cutting
Jul 27, 2023
I could never do, as I see suicide as being self care, it's suffering prevention and it's the option for one to take control over their inevitable fate and find true relief from this existence they were burdened with, suicide is something relieving for the individual, it's a personal choice that one has every right to make rather than being the most terrible tragedy.

I don't see it as being sad that someone is now unable to suffer in such a hellish world where there is unlimited potential to be tormented, I see non-existence as being the only relief in this existence filled with harm, there's no peace and relief from suffering in existing.

The tragic thing to me is how existence so unnecessarily causes one to suffer, the existence of life itself is something so tragic to me as without existence there would be no suffering. It's tragic how this cycle of senseless cruelty and unnecessary suffering continues to repeat where existing beings are forced out of the state of non-existence, are burdened with the ability to suffer endlessly in such a dangerous world where there are so many risks.

I see existence itself as being the true problem so for me the tragedy doesn't lie in how people chose to find peace from it all, in fact I envy those people and anyway death is the most normal thing, I would always prefer to leave on my own terms than be slowly tortured by old age.

I think suicide is the best way to die and allowing people to leave in peace would be compassionate, we are destined for nowhere but to die and instead of suicide being tragic, the tragedy also lies in how suicide is purposely made so difficult, the fact that this society is so anti-suicide just leads to more agony.
I don't see it as tragic at all in fact I think it's super brave and I admire everyone who had the courage to actually go through with it.

Sapphire

Sapphire

Student
Nov 22, 2022
Yes, it is tragic that someone was suffering so much that they felt that killing themself was the only choice that had. Its also tragic that society doesn't work to eliminate the problems that cause people to commit suicide in the first place.

• Love
Reactions: Starry✧・゚Daze
platypusfan

platypusfan

Jun 29, 2023
To me the tragic part about it is the fact that we have to exist in a place that allows a pain great enough to drive a living person to end their life but at the same time I find it incredibly relieving that suicide is a thing because it brings an end to something that could become lifelong suffering. The only time the idea isn't relieving is when it is someone young who did it impulsively, then the suicide becomes tragedy. But when it is a logical choice, the only tragic part is the fact that it is literally a logical choice.

Toxinebulaic

Toxinebulaic

winter is coming
Aug 2, 2023
In the title, you use the word suicide when I think you mean to say the release that occurs after a suicide. That is a distinction I think is important to make when discussing this question. The release that comes after one kills themself is not tragic, it is euphoric. There is nothing tragic about the sudden lack of any responsibility or burden that comes with nonexistence.

The action of killing oneself and everything that makes someone overcome every obstacle to finally attain that euphoria of euthanasia is the tragic part.

Suicide is difficult, often painful, and it is terrifying. That is tragic. Suicide is stigmatized and therefore we have not done much research into reducing the potency of those factors. That is tragic. We live in a society that often crushes people under pressures so insurmountable that they consider the difficulty, the pain, and the terror a fair price to pay for an escape from life. That is tragic.

The part after? That is freeing.

B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023

I think the tragedy is that so many people want to and so many people are depressed at increasing rates. I think the loneliness crisis is a tragedy. So yes I think those things are tragic. Suicide is just a symptomology of societal problems...

U

ultrasharpy123456

Wizard
Aug 18, 2022
Yeah. Being born in a world you never asked to be part of doing things you never asked to do. And then having to kill yourself because you can't take it. It's tragic is what it is. Some people have these things happen to them, some people are just born like this. It's a tragedy no matter how you slice it.

Reactions: sserafim, Praestat_Mori and Starry✧・゚Daze
Starry✧・゚Daze

Starry✧・゚Daze

Aug 3, 2023
I agree with most of what has been said already. Just wanted to add another thing I think is really tragic and not fair at all.

There are people who suffer every day, some suffer their whole life. People like us, that just want to die in dignity and mostly painless.
They fail their attempts and governments refuse any euthanasia.
Even convicted murderers on death row can get a peaceful death.

Meanwhile so many innocent people die in accidents, to illness, abuse, murder, etc.
These lifes end involuntarily.

If life was fair, if there was any kind of natural balance, a just equilibrium, I would immediately give my own life for someone who involuntarily died a horrible death.

It's tragic that this world breaks humans so hard that they want to kill themselves.
It's tragic and fucked up that these souls have to stay alive and suffer, while people who are happy with their life die every second.
It's damn tragic that suicidal people are so tired and broken, they would trade their own damn life for a deceased stranger.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Eternal🌈Rainbow and Praestat_Mori
starlover

starlover

Apr 28, 2023
For me it wouldn't be tragic.
For those around me it would be.

They deserve to feel how they will feel. I can't take that away from them, no matter how much I wish I could.
Just like they can't take away my pain, I can't take away theirs.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Honestly I'm not sure if I see it as tragic. I hope that in my case it'll be beautiful. I think that existence itself is tragic

P

Parnate

Student
Dec 16, 2021
My mom, dad and sister will be permanently damaged and devastated. I am the apple of their eyes. Since I am so naive and fearful and also cause of my mental issues all three are utterly concerned about me.
Most importantly it will be tragic for me cause as a kid, teenager and before I started considering CTB as an option or rather the only option i had dreams, so many of them and I also was capable of fulfilling them but I was stripped of my capabilities and capacity.

Z

Zaphkiel

IDK
May 13, 2023
Of course it's tragic.
Killing oneself is admitting openly that there is so much wrong in there, and that you're (more often than not) a victim
To go as far as doing something so counter-intuitive, defying our own purpose (wich is to live no matter what, and that's what SI is designed for) and doing incredible efforts in doing so is reaaaaally wrong and tragic

T

Tulip<3

Student
Aug 16, 2023
Like others have said, I see the situations that lead to suicide as more tragic rather than suicide itself if that makes sense. I think the fact that things go so wrong and people end up in enough pain to do it is the tragic part.

MAID/euthanasia to me isn't tragic, it's more empowering. I'm sad people have to do it, but glad they get some control and peace at the end of life. Plus you tell people in your life you are doing it, you get to say goodbye and they don't get the shock of finding your body etc. it's so dignified and I wish it was widely accessible.