Do you have insomnia on a regular basis?

• Yes every night.

Votes: 31 36.0%
  • Yes several nights a week.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Yes 1 or 2 nights a week.

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Now and then but not every week

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • No because I take effective sleeping pills.

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Never

Votes: 9 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
I have noticed several people complaining about severe insomnia which I have too. Let's see if many others have it.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Lilium, Amumu, Pookie and 2 others
M

Miss_Takes

Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Dec 4, 2020
I had it nightly for 10+yrs. But as of the last month its not been an issue. 2x in 10nyears I have had relief. I truly believe its somewhat diet related.
Sorry for the tangent.

Reactions: Meditation guide
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
But as of the last month its not been an issue. 2x in 10nyears I have had relief. I truly believe its somewhat diet related.
Did you change your diet and if so how? I've changed to mostly organic fruit and vegetables lately to see if that helps but so far no.
People who study sleep and depression have noticed that suicidal people have insomnia a lot. Sleep is when the brain does its housekeeping, cleaning away a build up of plaque and debris.

Last edited:
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Yes and the only way I can change it is by staying up so long and forcing myself to sleep at a good time.

Caffeine usually messes it all up anyway if I have any of it after 12 pm but I can't kick it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Pookie, Seul and Meditation guide
M

Miss_Takes

Dec 4, 2020
Did you change your diet and if so how? I've changed to mostly organic fruit and vegetables lately to see if that helps but so far no.
People who study sleep and depression have noticed that suicidal people have insomnia a lot. Sleep is when the brain does its housekeeping, cleaning away a build up of plaque and debris.
The first time I did an extended water fast ... somewhat extreme but it worked. I went from 2-3hrs broken sleep p/night to 9hrs. I also had plenty of energy during the day. It lasted until I started eating wheat and sugar.
This time I eliminated wheat only and am experiencing 5-6hrs sleep p/night ... not absolutely continuous but better than the 10 yrs prior. I had started fasting again as it improved my depression and anxiety previously but I am finding it difficult. I eat once p/day currently at least.
I have no history of eating disorders if anyone wishes to know. The fasting was a last ditch attempt to address my insomnia and pain issues and I researched the process well.
This is my first chronic experience of suicidal ideation and has been consistant for near 2 yrs but was significantly reduced for the same period as my insomnia during my fast.
Please Note
I am not recommending fasting to anyone as a solution for anything or anyone as people need to do their research and seek medical advice.
My personal current ideation is high despite the limited diet.
Having a look at ones dietary habits however is always a good idea when experiencing any kind of physical or mental health issues I think. Often it is small tweeks that make the difference and extreme measures are NOT required.

MrAsclepius

MrAsclepius

Грустная Сука
Jul 31, 2020
I take sedatives and anti psychotics, they dont help. Chronic insomnia since forever. Also night terrors and sleep paralysis often when i sleep. I dont believe i get enough REM which could be one of many problems.

• Hugs
Reactions: Bauhaus, Meditation guide, Pookie and 1 other person
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
I've noticed a small but definite improvement in how I feel since eating much more fruit and vegetables. I also stopped drinking our tap water since a blood test showed arsenic and lead in my blood. Old, deteriorating water pipes leak out poisonous heavy metals. The damage from those is already done on my nervous system however.

I also suspect GMOs in corn and wheat products has a bad effect on our health based on experiments on animals fed GMOs.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmellyRat and Miss_Takes
M

Miss_Takes

Dec 4, 2020
I've noticed a small but definite improvement in how I feel since eating much more fruit and vegetables. I also stopped drinking our tap water since a blood test showed arsenic and lead in my blood. Old, deteriorating water pipes leak out poisonous heavy metals. The damage from those is already done on my nervous system however.

I also suspect GMOs in corn and wheat products has a bad effect on our health based on experiments on animals fed GMOs.
I am glad youre experiencing some improvement even if small.

• Hugs
Pookie

Pookie

Somebody you used to know.
Oct 18, 2020
Yup, I struggle with insomnia too. All I want is an eternal sleep.

• Hugs
Reactions: Miss_Takes
C

CursedForDisaster

Student
Apr 1, 2019
I sleep too well, I never want to get up. I don't even retain dreams anymore, I just cease to exist for a little while.

• Hugs
Reactions: Pookie and Meditation guide
Apathy's Girl

Apathy's Girl

Student
Jul 20, 2020
I take lorazepam and Lunesta or I don't sleep. I have to keep taking more because I've built up a tolerance. My psychiatrist said I shouldn't combine the two, it could kill me (if it was only that easy).

• Hugs
Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
Almost every night, sometimes I have one day in a week when I sleep correctly, often because I take sleeping pills.
But I'm not taking them every night since I know it could make things worse. Thanks for the poll.

• Hugs
F

fly away

It’s enough
Oct 28, 2020
Great poll. Look at how many people are on the site at this hour....although my Klonopin hit a tolerance level about a year ago. Used to knock me out, but no more. And I refuse to raise the level.

BRAINWORMS

BRAINWORMS

dust to dust
Jul 20, 2020
My first psych hospitalization was in response to insomnia. I've been taking quetiapine ever since. Sometimes I still have sleepless nights if my anxiety/OCD is acting up, but things are generally decent sleep-wise.

Reactions: fly away
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
I woke up at 3 a.m. as I always do and am wide awake and will stay awake until midnight as always. Another 3 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period for me again.
I did an extended water fast
How long did it last, if I may ask that? I would like to try it.

• Aww..
Reactions: Amumu
Amumu

Amumu

Aug 29, 2020
I woke up at 3 a.m. as I always do and am wide awake and will stay awake until midnight as always. Another 3 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period for me again.
After that we feel horrible...

I'd like to know the age of people who voted "never" btw and I'd bet that they're under 20. Insomnia often comes after 20.

grungeCat

grungeCat

Awkward & weird
Jul 5, 2020
I had serious problems with falling asleep for a couple of years. Additionally when I finally fell asleep then I woke up every half hour. In the morning I didn't have energy for anything. However I was prescribed some cool benzos + hydroxizine and now I sleep pretty well. Occasionally my problems return but not more often than once a week. It's bearable.
Edit ; Also learning how to lucid dream played a huge role in improving my sleeping. It's a very cool thing and I recommend reading more about this to anyone that wants to sleep a little bit better. It requires some work but the fascination of controlling my dreams keeps me motivated all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amumu
Amumu

Amumu

Aug 29, 2020
Edit ; Also learning how to lucid dream played a huge role in improving my sleeping. It's a very cool thing and I recommend reading more about this to anyone that wants to sleep a little bit better. It requires some work but the fascination of controlling my dreams keeps me motivated all the time.
I never remember my dreams so it would be difficult doing it tbh lmao

Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I used to have it but now I have meds and they help me almost every time. I have it rarely now

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: grungeCat and Amumu
grungeCat

grungeCat

Awkward & weird
Jul 5, 2020
I never remember my dreams so it would be difficult doing it tbh lmao
There are several methods to increase your ability to remember dreams. My favorite one is a dream diary. Every morning you have to recall as much dreams as you can and then write it down. Sounds like a lot of work, isn't it? Then you should read about lucid dreaming - all these fantasies & cool things people experience in their dreams makes me very motivated every morning. Actually I don't have to motivate myself anymore as noting my dreams has become a habit. It's a very, very cool thing and I don't understand why psychologists don't encourage people to learn lucid dreaming.

M

Miss_Takes

Dec 4, 2020

How long did it last, if I may ask that? I would like to try it.
The insomnia shifted day 13 BUT i was sick as a dog for 2 days prior. Once I finally stopped fasting my sleep was good for about 4 weeks until I had an accident falling off a horse .... then pain prevented.me.from sleeping and my life started to fall apart. So Im not really sure how long it would have continued had I not had the fall.
All in all I got almost 6 weeks and felt terrific. It was quite a revelation.
I had tried zopiclone and quetiapine previously but I have a strong reaction to both and couldnt take the zopiclone because it made me sleepwalk and i had night terrors and the quetiapine (and mirtazapine) makes me want to rip my face off and hyper extend my limbs. I have friends who use both though with zero problems.
I have strong reactions to most meds so avoid.

ThrownAwayTom

ThrownAwayTom

Experienced
Oct 3, 2020
I woke up at 3 a.m. as I always do and am wide awake and will stay awake until midnight as always. Another 3 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period for me again
Pretty much identical to this for me for the past month. Never been an issue before but all of a sudden its so bad :(

Skathon

Skathon

"...scarred underneath, and I'm falling..."
Oct 29, 2018
I fall asleep whenever I am no longer able to remain awake, therefore I never have insomnia (unless it is induced by something that affects the central nervous system).
I have the opposite problem, actually...

Reactions: lobster salad and Meditation guide
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
Has anyone been diagnosed with sleep apnea?

justanotherstar

justanotherstar

Life: you can’t fire me, I quit.
Nov 23, 2020
I developed chronic insomnia after stopping Prozac in April. I usually only sleep somewhere between 1.5-3hrs per night, if at all :-( that's on high doses of 2 antipsychotics and having tried various sleeping pills. I don't drink caffeine, follow all the sleep hygiene rules etc. Boo! It's hell and wouldn't wish it on anybody. For me the worst part is not getting the mental shut down, I can't say I am too tired and bothered by physical symptoms of sleep deprivation but having to live with myself all day every day is torture. I'm sure many of you will relate ❤️

• Hugs
Reactions: MrBlue
MrBlue

MrBlue

Arcanist
Jul 1, 2020
I get it most days, though at the moment I'm lucky that I don't have any commitments during the day, so I can still get 5+ hours sleep throughout the day to make up for it.

Octavina

Octavina

Paint the black hole blacker
Jan 9, 2021
Every freaking night. I have BPD with bipolar mania and as soon as I stop taking my medication so I can get over SI, I end up awake for 36 hours or more with racing manic thoughts. It sucks, lost my college placemnt last year because of that. Sadly UK doctors don't like to prescribed me too much pills for it. But being in a dream state, even if it is chemically induces is the best feeling in my life. I fantasise about going under anaesthetic, but pernement , just not the nigjt terrors and auditory hallucinations that come sadly with diphenhydramine dependence or OD (Benadryl)

• Hugs
Reactions: Pookie