Do you have a moral compass?

• I have a strong moral compass

• I have a medium moral compass

• I have a weak moral compass

• My moral compass is flexible according to my comfort or convenience

• I have a strong moral compass for how others should act but not as much for myself

• I have a weak moral compass

• I have no moral compass

• Wtf is does "moral compass" even mean?

• Who cares?

Results are only viewable after voting.
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
A moral compass is the personal ethics or standards that guides one's own actions.

Bonus question: If you have a strong moral compass, were you scapegoated growing up?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: XYZ and _Minsk
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
haven't a clue how to answer! on the one hand i do things i think are morally right and act in a certain way. but then at other times it totally goes out the window, probably more so when my tempers through the roof , p'd off etc.

• Hugs
Reactions: ecmnesia, purplesmoothie, Deleted member 4993 and 1 other person
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
haven't a clue how to answer! on the one hand i do things i think are morally right and act in a certain way. but then at other times it totally goes out the window, probably more so when my tempers through the roof , p'd off etc.

Comfort or convenience option.

Reactions: ecmnesia, purplesmoothie and Dr Iron Arc
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I voted that my moral compass is flexible depending on my own comfort and convenience. Not to rag on myself too hard again, but for me even when I try to do good things for other people, it always feels like I'm only doing them to spare my own potential guilt and remorse and not for the actual good of the other person. To me, it's more comfortable and more convenient to just be good to people sometimes and yet I am also very aware that my actual motivations are still selfish overall and basically don't count...

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: ecmnesia, purplesmoothie, StateOfMind and 6 others
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
Comfort or convenience option.

i trust your opinion so i'll go with that!!!

so with me i will hold doors open, treat people with respect, be nice to people etc, i do it because i want to though not because someone says i should

but then when i snap..i have no control and will be the most evil horrible person, say/do nasty things

Last edited:
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
i trust your opinion so i'll go with that!!!

so with me i will hold doors open, treat people with respect, be nice to people etc, i do it because i want to though not because someone says i should

but then when i snap..i have no control and will be the most evil horrible person, say/do nasty things

So when you have discomfort, you are guided by that rather than your moral compass. Is that accurate?

C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
If i get really annoyed , i just don't have control. i totally loose it. it takes a long time to calm down. if i'm a little pissed off i'm not as bad. i can snap very easily

EDIT i read what you said again, i think it maybe right. i take it by discomfort you mean if i don't like something or if something hurt me

Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
I have a strong moral compass, and the times when a situation is stronger than my moral judgment, it's that same compass that guides me to keep learning and trying to improve.

It's what makes me feel like crap for not having listened to it or for not having connected with its guidance, and motivates me to not do something to make me feel that way again.

It's what steps in and reminds me that I've applied it in my assessment of the moral character in others' actions. It says, "Whoa, you're doing what they did." Or, it helps me make the connection that I've done exactly what I'm judging others for, so I need to have compassion for them and I also need to be aware of my actions and motivations going forward.

• Hugs
Reactions: Soul, checkouttime and Dr Iron Arc
Panna

Panna

Enlightened
Aug 31, 2020
No, I wouldn't say so, outside a very few small exceptions, it definitely changes based on convience and comfort. We're all going to die one way or another, so rest and enjoy your pleasure for as long as you can.

RottenDeer

RottenDeer

Rotten to the core.
Feb 29, 2020
I don't really care anymore.

• Hugs
Reactions: Mixo and 262653

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
I understand moral compass as a strict set of personal rules, a personal code of conduct. The more precise/definite (strong) the rules are, the more consistent the direction it points toward. In that sense, I do have sort of a lite version of such compass. For one, I try to be as honest as I can with myself and others, as long as it doesn't hurt my interests. (lul)

The usefulness of a moral compass: Making decisions based solely on pain/pleasure in the moment may be detrimental in the long run. On the other hand, careful examination of each situation is too taxing on my mind (limited capacity for information processing), which leads to poor/imprecise judgement and unforeseeable /unpredictable outcomes. I intuit the most favorable approach would be somewhere in between, to follow a set of rules that would allow both irrational and rational sides to have a voice, a set of rules that are relatively easy on my processing power, following which will lead me to the most favorable outcome. (To feel as good as possible.)

I'd say that there are a few rules that I try to follow, but mostly my moral compass is malleable. I guess asking myself regularly whether my current activity is worth performing for me, can be considered as a spontaneously emerging rule.

BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
Strong moral compass.

Yes scapegoated.

I hold all people to the same standard, and will not say it's ok for a friend or family member to do something that I wouldn't say it's ok for anyone else to do.
I feel that this consistency puts some people off, because most people are inconsistent.

• Love
Reactions: Gnip, Soul and mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
I voted that my moral compass is flexible depending on my own comfort and convenience. Not to rag on myself too hard again, but for me even when I try to do good things for other people, it always feels like I'm only doing them to spare my own potential guilt and remorse and not for the actual good of the other person. To me, it's more comfortable and more convenient to just be good to people sometimes and yet I am also very aware that my actual motivations are still selfish overall and basically don't count...
Same for me. I do good things for others to better my reputation and make others see me in a positive light. I do think other people do too, subconciously or not. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc and 262653
lowlander

lowlander

Sep 19, 2020
No point of having it when a significant number of people doesn't even have "moral" or even "rationale". I do hope that in the distant future we will be afforded the luxury of acting outside of our animalistic desire

mooncake

mooncake

Student
Aug 7, 2020
I'd say I have a very strong moral compass and I'm also very used to being scapegoated.

• Hugs
Reactions: Soul
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Same for me. I do good things for others to better my reputation and make others see me in a positive light. I do think other people do too, subconciously or not. Just my opinion.
I also wind up thinking people are always thinking that way too. It's why virtual signaling makes me so mad because no matter how good someone's intentions appears to be I can't help but thinking people only care about themselves and looking good by saying things they know people will affirm with them.

• Hugs
Reactions: TheSoulless and 262653
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
Form everything I've read about abusive families, there are at least two types of targeting roles put on a child, the scapegoat and the golden child, which can alternate, even in an only child. Either role created for the child is to try to gain their compliance, but the scapegoat is given the blame for the abuse and why the abuser is the way that they are. I know there is a third created role, but I can't remember what it is.

Of all the roles, the scapegoat has the best chances during the abuse and once they get out of the home. They can see through the BS and are often scapegoated because they can, and because they refuse to capitulate to it. (For example, I knew at the age of 3 my mother was illogical and it utterly confused me, and throughout my life but especially when I was under her roof, she would rage because I didn't buy into her skewed version of things. She made it clear she wanted me to develop into the same golden child that she did, and to be docile and subservient).

It's a hard road, but scapegoats are often more capable as adults because they kept their sense of self and they maintained some or autonomy in perception throughout the abuse. Surviving scapegoating can build stronger moral character and ability to withstand difficulty.

Reactions: Soul and Dr Iron Arc
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I have a strong moral compass, and...tbh I don't know if I was the scapegoat growing up. I feel like I was...

@GoodPersonEffed I read through your post explaining the dysfunctional child roles, I guess I'm still confused. I was never outright told that I was to blame for my parents' behavior, but I wasn't made to feel like I...uh, wasn't. I was called a bitch, rude, smartass, etc and it was implied that my parents were abusive towards me because of my supposed attitude. Does that even count, or is that just my perception?

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
I know there is a third created role, but I can't remember what it is.
The invisible one. *waves the hand*

Edit: wonder if I should make it more apparent to be noticed, or preserve it the way it is while also preserving the symbolism? I'll try to do both at the same time.

Last edited:
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
I hold all people to the same standard, and will not say it's ok for a friend or family member to do something that I wouldn't say it's ok for anyone else to do.
I feel that this consistency puts some people off, because most people are inconsistent.
I also wind up thinking people are always thinking that way too. It's why virtual signaling makes me so mad because no matter how good someone's intentions appears to be I can't help but thinking people only care about themselves and looking good by saying things they know people will affirm with them.

These comments all touch in some way on what I was thinking when I made the option of having a strong moral compass for others but not the self.

Virtue signaling is one example, telling others the ethical or right thing to do so that they will treat others or the signaler better, but the signaler does not walk the same talk, so it's not a compass for them but for everyone else. But that could as easily fall under flexible moral compass according to comfort and convenience, because it's more comfortable to go along to get along. Then when someone else doesn't open a door for others or do things for others, they have signaled negative virtue and others will get on their asses to conform. But I think it's not a true moral compass, because I'm discovering that a moral compass has to do with self-respect and therefore belong to oneself no matter what everyone else does.

Brené Brown said something in an interview that really resonated with me as a former scapegoat: if one does not belong in themselves, they don't belong anywhere. One can give up themselves to fit in. And it's human to want to be accepted and liked by their social groups because it ensures safety. It takes a lot of inner strength to be able to stand outside of the crowd because the crowd does not fit their moral compass. (Ooh, I just realized, virtue signalling is peer pressure for social compliance, but it's all surface, which requires minimal effort, it's not genuinely moral until one is walking their talk. Moral requires self-effort.)

Finally, there's the challenge of having a strong moral compass and holding others to a standard. @BipolarGuy, what I'm writing here isn't directed at you, it reminded me of my own self, so my analysis here is based on personal experience.

Holding others to a standard can be a good thing. It sets a boundary of what's okay and what's not okay, but boundaries are always magnets for fighting and attempts to override them (a theif will jump over a fence because it protects something desireable but not on offer). If a boundary that guides moral conduct is right, people will often fight it, but I've learned that with patience and sticking to it, people are often eventually influenced by it because of having set a consistent example that demonstrates the value of the effort. It takes effort to override one's baser nature, or convenience, or comfort, and do the correct thing. The moral is easy to demand of others, but it's challenging when it comes to applying it to the self, and that's when the proof is in the pudding. We can direct others all day long, but can we direct ourselves?

For instance, I want people to respect my boundaries and not go through my things if they should somehow gain access to them when I'm not present, and not go snooping or take anything. The other day, the property I'm staying in was being shown, and my personal things were locked in a closet and I don't allow access, but the representative left unlocked the linen and supply closet. Ooh, inaccessible territory was now accessible with no one looking over my shoulder! I didn't even think about it, I immediately went in and started looking at things, and then noticing opportunities of things to scrounge that I might want to use, since everything was meant for guests, but not all the things had been made available to me. I'm sure if I'd asked for something I would have been told yes, but I was never shown there were options! And, ooh! There was a tray I really liked!

And then I caught myself.

I thought, damn, this space and these things weren't made available to me, I just crossed a boundary. I turned myself around, walked out, and locked the door. I want to be seen as trustworthy, and locking the door means I acted as trustworthy. It would have been easy to justify to myself to take the tray because the closet contained things for guests and I am a guest; it was harder and took effort to rein myself in as I would want others to do. To me, that was my moral compass in action; if it's not right for others to do, then nor is it right for me, and I can't demand effort from others if I don't make the effort myself.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: TheSoulless, Soul, Dr Iron Arc and 1 other person
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
These comments all touch in some way on what I was thinking when I made the option of having a strong moral compass for others but not the self.

Virtue signaling is one example, telling others the ethical or right thing to do so that they will treat others or the signaler better, but the signaler does not walk the same talk, so it's not a compass for them but for everyone else. But that could as easily fall under flexible moral compass according to comfort and convenience, because it's more comfortable to go along to get along. Then when someone else doesn't open a door for others or do things for others, they have signaled negative virtue and others will get on their asses to conform. But I think it's not a true moral compass, because I'm discovering that a moral compass has to do with self-respect and therefore belong to oneself no matter what everyone else does.

Brené Brown said something in an interview that really resonated with me as a former scapegoat: if one does not belong in themselves, they don't belong anywhere. One can give up themselves to fit in. And it's human to want to be accepted and liked by their social groups because it ensures safety. It takes a lot of inner strength to be able to stand outside of the crowd because the crowd does not fit their moral compass. (Ooh, I just realized, virtue signalling is peer pressure for social compliance, but it's all surface, which requires minimal effort, it's not genuinely moral until one is walking their talk. Moral requires self-effort.)

Finally, there's the challenge of having a strong moral compass and holding others to a standard. @BipolarGuy, what I'm writing here isn't directed at you, it reminded me of my own self, so my analysis here is based on personal experience.

Holding others to a standard can be a good thing. It sets a boundary of what's okay and what's not okay, but boundaries are always magnets for fighting and attempts to override them (a theif will jump over a fence because it protects something desireable but not on offer). If a boundary that guides moral conduct is right, people will often fight it, but I've learned that with patience and sticking to it, people are often eventually influenced by it because of having set a consistent example that demonstrates the value of the effort. It takes effort to override one's baser nature, or convenience, or comfort, and do the correct thing. The moral is easy to demand of others, but it's challenging when it comes to applying it to the self, and that's when the proof is in the pudding. We can direct others all day long, but can we direct ourselves?

For instance, I want people to respect my boundaries and not go through my things if they should somehow gain access to them when I'm not present, and not go snooping or take anything. The other day, the property I'm staying in was being shown, and my personal things were locked in a closet and I don't allow access, but the representative left unlocked the linen and supply closet. Ooh, inaccessible territory was now accessible with no one looking over my shoulder! I didn't even think about it, I immediately went in and started looking at things, and then noticing opportunities of things to scrounge that I might want to use, since everything was meant for guests, but not all the things had been made available to me. I'm sure if I'd asked for something I would have been told yes, but I was never shown there were options! And, ooh! There was a tray I really liked!

And then I caught myself.

I thought, damn, this space and these things weren't made available to me, I just crossed a boundary. I turned myself around, walked out, and locked the door. I want to be seen as trustworthy, and locking the door means I acted as trustworthy. It would have been easy to justify to myself to take the tray because the closet contained things for guests and I am a guest; it was harder and took effort to rein myself in as I would want others to do. To me, that was my moral compass in action; if it's not right for others to do, then nor is it right for me, and I can't demand effort from others if I don't make the effort myself.
From a psychological perspective, I wonder where this comes from for you. None of my business though.

Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
I have a strong moral compass, and...tbh I don't know if I was the scapegoat growing up. I feel like I was...

@GoodPersonEffed I read through your post explaining the dysfunctional child roles, I guess I'm still confused. I was never outright told that I was to blame for my parents' behavior, but I wasn't made to feel like I...uh, wasn't. I was called a bitch, rude, smartass, etc and it was implied that my parents were abusive towards me because of my supposed attitude. Does that even count, or is that just my perception?

If your perception was that you were scapegoated, perhaps you were. You were definitely targeted, and often it's rationalized that the target is to blame.

A scapegoat takes on two roles in social settings. First, they carry the stains of others' sins, and because they do so, then others feel stainless. For instance, I was argumentative, rather than my mother being irrational; I would ask to go do something, she would give an irrational meaing that I would debate, then she would say the reason was because she was the parent and said so, and I would debate that it wasn't a reason, and every time I stood up for myself, she got more angry until she finally hit me -- all because I was argumentative, not because she was irrational and oppressive. I carried the literal stains of bruises for whatever made her impure enough to dominate and hit a child.

Second, the scapegoat may be cast out for not accepting the social story and for refusing to carry the sins. They are sent off into the wildnerness and then there is no more evidence of sin. Once that person is gone, if those who cast them out don't act that way anymore, well then it must have been the fault of the one they acted against, they are not responsible. And when the scapegoat is gone, they can tell whatever history they like because the scapegoat is not there to challenge it.

From a psychological perspective, I wonder where this comes from for you.

What do you mean?

Last edited:
Rue89

Rue89

Visionary
Feb 10, 2020
I believe I have a pretty strong moral compass. I try to do the right thing, but I'll admit if it's too uncomfortable for me I'll take the easy route.

BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
If your perception was that you were scapegoated, perhaps you were. You were definitely targeted, and often it's rationalized that the target is to blame.

A scapegoat takes on two roles in social settings. First, they carry the stains of others' sins, and because they do so, then others feel stainless. For instance, I was argumentative, rather than my mother being irrational; I would ask to go do something, she would give an irrational meaing that I would debate, then she would say the reason was because she was the parent and said so, and I would debate that it wasn't a reason, and every time I stood up for myself, she got more angry until she finally hit me -- all because I was argumentative, not because she was irrational and oppressive. I carried the literal stains of bruises for whatever made her impure enough to dominate and hit a child.

Second, the scapegoat may be cast out for not accepting the social story and for refusing to carry the sins. They are sent off into the wildnerness and then there is no more evidence of sin. Once that person is gone, if those who cast them out don't act that way anymore, well then it must have been the fault of the one they acted against, they are not responsible. And when the scapegoat is gone, they can tell whatever history they like because the scapegoat is not there to challenge it.
I've tried to read this since you've posted it but my brain just gets super foggy and I have to stop. The part about your mom hitting you stood out though. You didn't deserve to be treated like that - I'm sure you know, but... just wanted to tell you, I guess.

• Hugs
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
This is an interesting theory.
As a child, I was constantly blamed for ruining my mother's and grandmother's life so I guess I was scapegoated. I used to have a strong moral compass when I was younger but I don't have it anymore.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and GoodPersonEffed
C

CC123

Arcanist
Mar 2, 2019
It is good to have a safe place to explore these important topics

• Love
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
It is good to have a safe place to explore these important topics

You're right! I hadn't even thought about that! Not many places to have a real conversation like this without it setting off the kind of "I'm offended"/virtue signaling wars that would happen on mainstream social media.

I don't even want to imagine what it would be like on Reddit...but if someone wants to take a creative stab at it, I'm ready to laugh!

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I'm afraid I can't really answer the poll honestly. Probably not a surprise to those that know me.

I try to never to treat anyone in any way that I would have issue with if they treated me that way. I would personally define that as honour. However, I don't always succeed because I am afflicted with ego and pride the same as the next person.

• Hugs
Reactions: 262653
K

KiraLittleOwl

Lost in transition
Jan 25, 2019
I have very strong moral compas, I read right books in my childhood and adolescence

Reactions: Soul
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
(Wtf is does "moral compass" even mean?
I am just loving this option and I was tempted to choose it just for laughs. But I answered earnestly instead.)

I wish I could say I have a strong moral compass, but given that nobody knows me here, I can go ahead and show myself in all my "glory".

I've bent my morals more times than I can count. My moral compass has done more gymnastics than the entire Chinese girls team at the Olympics. I've gone South when the needle pointed North, again and again, when it suited me, or when I was too lazy to do the right thing.

I regret it. I wish I had shown strength of character and been a better person.

I know that, had I followed my inner moral compass and treasured it more, I would never had ended with an albatross around my neck. I guess there is such a thing as poetic justice in some cases. And that's a good thing.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 1465