Painless_end

Painless_end

Life is too difficult for me
Oct 11, 2019
I only have an undergraduate in computer engineering.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Borabora, FireFox, mediocre and 1 other person
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
I only have an associates degree in science. I'm hoping to get a bachelor's in computer science or video game design

• Love
Reactions: puppy9 and mediocre
M

MissKatrina

Experienced
Apr 6, 2020
I'm doing my masters if that counts

• Love
Reactions: Brackenshire, I’mDone, puppy9 and 2 others
T

TotallyIsolated

Mage
Nov 25, 2019
I have two Masters' in computer science. I thought I wanted to do a PhD but omg holy shit it didn't work out. Going back to university a second time was a great experience and I made so many new friends, but I really didnt thrive in an unstructured working environment and I immediately got off on the wrong foot with my supervisor. He HATED me and I crumbled under the pressure - it drove me to my first suicide attempt.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Sensei, FireFox, puppy9 and 2 others
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
A lot of intelligent people here! I only have a high school education:/

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Walilamdzi, Skathon, Yomyom and 3 others
M

MissKatrina

Experienced
Apr 6, 2020

Higher Education doesn't define your intelligence. It just means you paid a lot to know a lot about a particular subject. We're the dumbasses in a shit ton of debt. Plus there are so many resources available to learn online. Khan academy. Code academy. Edex. I'd recommend Mental Floss though. More fun. :)

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Sensei, Final Escape, Painless_end and 2 others
M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
I'm a baw hair away from completing my ordinary degree but planning on masters next. Sadly my health and the covid situation have delayed everything so losing hope a bit tonight. But really eager to get into a specific masters course.

• Love
Reactions: MissKatrina
mathieu

mathieu

Enlightened
Jun 5, 2019
Didn't even finish high school..

• Love
Reactions: Skathon, Cashewmilk, MissKatrina and 1 other person
Una

Una

Write something, even if it’s just a suicide note.
Feb 28, 2020
I do. Obtained in a different country and a different language to the two undergraduate degrees I obtained before.

None of it did me any good.

• Love
Cosmiq

Cosmiq

Student
May 7, 2020
I only have a high school. If I could have I think I'd gone a far as bachelors, but even if I could balance stress of a job and school and finished community college, I'd never been able to afford to go to university

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I finished half of a master's in creative writing but it wasn't an MFA program and I realized it wasn't going to be competitive enough for the kind of work I wanted.

I later completed all but my thesis for a master's in interdisciplinary studies and loved it, but it wasn't possible to get a good thesis advisor. There were a lot of seriously enthusiastic and frustrated students in that program who couldn't get professors willing to put in the time to support the students' academic interests unless closely aligned with their own interests and pursuits, so the program was a dangling carrot and a bait-and-switch. I got a ton out of it, but not all that I wanted and could have achieved with appropriate support. The one professor who believed in my vision and wanted to work with me was dying of cancer and couldn't take on another thesis project.

Reactions: Sensei
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
a master's in creative writing

This explains a lot. I never believed you were a lawyer/dentist :-)
Mine is in Second Language Acquisition @GoodPersonEffed
. There were a lot of seriously enthusiastic and frustrated students in that program who couldn't get professors willing to put in the time to support the students' academic interests unless closely aligned with their own interests and pursuits

The academic world is tougher than a boxing ring.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Soul and GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
This explains a lot. I never believed you were a lawyer/dentist :-)

Thwarted. And by my own doing. Damn.

Wait, no. I meant to say, I directly answered the question. The OP only asked about master's degrees, not JDs, post-graduate or doctoral level studies. I'm a stickler for staying on topic.

• Love
Reactions: I’mDone, Soul and Epsilon0
SleeplessSoul

SleeplessSoul

Student
Apr 10, 2020
I have a MA in 18th century literature and I'm about to start a PhD

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: FireFox, I’mDone, GoodPersonEffed and 1 other person
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019

What literature in particular? Congrats on the PhD. That's awesome! Have you had your thesis proposal approved, do you already know what the purpose of your study will be?

• Love
Reactions: FireFox
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I have a BA plus an RSA diploma. I tried an MA program in 2nd Language Acquisition but I'd gotten rebellious after a couple of years out of school and annoyed the main instructor too much, so I quit.

I wound up with a university teaching career, though. People's fates vary.

• Love
Reactions: Epsilon0
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
I have a BA plus an RSA diploma. I tried an MA program in 2nd Language Acquisition but I'd gotten rebellious after a couple of years out of school and annoyed the main instructor too much, so I quit.

I wound up with a university teaching career, though. People's fates vary.

How cool to find someone else with an interest in SLA! :-)
What do you teach?

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I should have done a master's but for some odd reason I felt I needed practical experience in archaeology. It would have been nice to do a doctorate and stay in academia, I regret not doing that, but I'd have always felt that I didn't have a professional grounding in fieldwork. All pointless anyway since I ended up as a graphic designer.

• Love
Reactions: Sensei, Epsilon0 and Soul
FireFox

FireFox

Enlightened
Apr 8, 2020
That is so cool
@mediocre Dont worry you can go to university at any age. Believe graduating at my age sucks (23). Graduating university is not as great as it made out to be. the pressure to create a life for yourself after graduating is awful. The pressure comes mainly from me .
I have a major insecurity issues due to the pressure of having to have it all figured out after graduating university. This is the biggest reason why i want to kill myself. I am some one who plans and now i dont have a plan for the first time in my life i feel like a failure

I feel so lost without academic learning.
After spending so many years in education i just feel so lost and purposeless.

I am jealous of people who go to university at 30 becauae they manage better with everything. They have experience of the world of work with employers masturbate over so much.
I wish i went so much later on life i wouldnt be as fucked as i am.
No i have an undergraduate degree in law. I am not interested in law anymore

A law degree doesnt make you a lawyer in the UK. Qualification is more difficult in the UK.
I have two Masters' in computer science. I thought I wanted to do a PhD but omg holy shit it didn't work out. Going back to university a second time was a great experience and I made so many new friends, but I really didnt thrive in an unstructured working environment and I immediately got off on the wrong foot with my supervisor. He HATED me and I crumbled under the pressure - it drove me to my first suicide attempt.
@TotallyIsolated a masters in computer science that is so cool. Sorry about the PHD though.
What computer science career did you want?
Supervisor sounds like a dick. There is a lot of abuse in academia espically with Phd supervisors
How are you now?
@SleeplessSoul well done and have fun with your Phd.
You can do it

Last edited:
SleeplessSoul

SleeplessSoul

Student
Apr 10, 2020
What literature in particular? Congrats on the PhD. That's awesome! Have you had your thesis proposal approved, do you already know what the purpose of your study will be?

During my BA/MA I mostly focussed on prostitution and venereal disease. I mostly used novels (like Defoe) and people's diaries, but I looked at political and medical pamphlets too!

I've got funding my PhD. I'm looking at responses to John Keats in the 21st century.

• Love
Reactions: FireFox and Epsilon0
O

Oh so tired

Student
Apr 17, 2020
I have a BSc and an MSc, doesn't make me feel any better about myself though.

Quinlor

Quinlor

The stranger
Feb 21, 2019
I have PhD and Master degree in Human Geography...

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Yes. Not because I wanted one, but because I needed one to work as a teacher. I studied different disciplines for many years and was what we call an "eternal student" in my language. After all those years of studies, I can say that I'm not very impressed by the academic world, to put it mildly. Much fluff.

B

Borabora

May 6, 2020
Very impressive - I do not have the math & science skills to even apply let alone get an undergraduate in engineering.
Odd thing to even think, but I feel 'better' on this forum after seeing such learned members on SS (this thread & others posts). I need to learn to be more humble, so for me personally, I just wish to express gratitude for people who mentored me (MD/PhD's) in my life, who were kind enough to let me learn from them.

Last edited:
Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
Shit I only graduated Highschool because of the help of my special ed. teachers and getting do-overs on assignments. I probably should have repeated at least a year if not 2 years or just dropped out all together. I definitely didn't really deserve a diploma in my own opinion.

• Love
Reactions: Skathon and mediocre