GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I think our heroes -- who we respect, admire, and would wish to emulate -- say a lot about us: what we value, what we love, what we aspire to. I'm curious as to who other members' heroines/heroes are.

I'm 49 years old, and until this year, I've never had a heroine or hero, someone I genuinely looked up to. There were people whose beliefs I admired, along with the related words and actions, such as MLK, Gandhi and, prior to the Rohingya genocide, Aung San Suu Kyi. There were philosophers who brought me to awareness, such as Roland Barthes, Michel Foucalt. But I was also deeply troubled by certain aspects about each of them in their lives, so they were teachers, but not heroes I would seek to emulate, not guides along my life path but only parts of it. When I started reading the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, I found my hero. He was imperfect of course, but he strove to walk his talk in every aspect of his life, and I deeply value the talk he walked, and admire and respect how his walk brought his talk to fruition. I finally no longer feel the lack of not having a hero or heroine.

Reactions: death137, Lostandlooking, Soul and 5 others
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I admire a lot of people, especially those who are authority figures like professors and older coworkers. But if I had to say anyone in my life is a hero, I'd go with my brother. Despite growing up in the same household as me, he's turned out...so much better than me. He's made a good life for himself. He's a wonderful, funny, super chill guy. I'm proud of him.

• Hugs
Reactions: death137 and GoodPersonEffed
W

Worthless_nobody

Enlightened
Feb 14, 2019
My mom because she is the only person who has constantly stood up for me.

And my dead fiance who was a Marine. He fought in Iraq war. He died way too young and tragically due to a extremely rare incurable disease. He always helped others, he was formerly a paramedic a firefighter. But he had his issues...he had a very spilt personality and we parted ways. I'll never forgive myself for not going back... reading his obituary was total shock. I found all his letters to me and I still email him....just calling out into the void. Rip my hero.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Trannydiary, death137, Lostandlooking and 1 other person
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
My heroes are General Claire Chennault and the pilots of the American Volunteer Group "Flying Tigers", a mercenary air force of American fighter pilots who volunteered to defend China against the Japanese air force before America's involvement in WWII.
They represent to me the now extinct American ideal of defending the defenseless, of sticking up for the underdog, of doing what's right simply because it's right, even when the odds are stacked against you.

MichaelNomad123

MichaelNomad123

Jesus
Oct 15, 2020
Myself would be the simple answer.

People whom have had significant positive impact on my development and philosophies would be my old art teacher, my grandmother and my grandfather. Literary figures that have impacted my development would be Herman Hesse, Orwell, Marx, Hawking, Sartre, among others.

Negative influence has been more prevalent in my upbringing and I consider myself one forged from fire and bitterness more than someone motivated by heroes. To that end, my villains are many. Notable ones would be my mother, my father, Gandhi, Tony Blair, David Cameron and pretty much anyone earning more than 50grand a year.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
My heroes are all fictional. Not even necessarily superheroes either, but even characters like Lucina from Fire Emblem who traveled to her past to prevent an apocalyptic future............that's my shining example.

In terms of real people, I used to look up to some pro Smash players but......well it didn't turn out very well to say the least.

Reactions: Trannydiary, death137 and GoodPersonEffed
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
The historical character that defines and resonates with my inner-self the most must be Louise Michel. She is a french revolutionary figure and an anarchist icon, also called "The red virgin", since she was participating in street combats and is reported to barely ever had a love affair. She dedicated her life at many accomplishments, of which notable ones can be remembered, like the development of free education for girls at an ancient time, as well as addressing the sick and deprived people.

My signature is an extract of a poem Victor Hugo wrote in her honour.
After being caught rioting, during a trial, she pleaded to be sentenced for capital punishment, arguing she couldn't stand the misery and injustice around her. She got deported in the Pacific ocean instead. Despite her life threatening attitude of self-defiance, she died of old age and the footprint of her memory was celebrated by the people accordingly.

9ABEBD19 EBAF 455B B9DD BA9D2F08F547

122CD139 8463 49B0 AA9D 61CB0F1AE241

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://citations.ouest-france.fr/citations-louise-michel-7442.html

Ultimately, I feel capable of sacrificing myself just the same. I've time to time acted as a pacifier up through adopting dark ways. Her aura comments the part of me which can show sheer determination 5% of the time, when I happen to be the spectator of something that doesn't make the clock go round. I'm very burdened about the fate of this world, but at the same time feel a huge strenght of opposition inside of me. Ironically, I'm born in the district she lived in.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: ecmnesia, death137 and Sensei
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
I used to, but my state of mind now makes it difficult for me to generate the necessary enthusiasm for existence to be able to have a hero.
my villains are many. Notable ones would be my mother, my father, Gandhi
I'm interested in why you list Gandhi as a villain.
Is it because of his early racism and the things he did with his grandniece?

• Hugs
Reactions: death137 and 262653
RottenDeer

RottenDeer

Rotten to the core.
Feb 29, 2020
I don't have a hero but I always looked up to people like Chester Bennington.

Reactions: death137
MichaelNomad123

MichaelNomad123

Jesus
Oct 15, 2020
I used to, but my state of mind now makes it difficult for me to generate the necessary enthusiasm for existence to be able to have a hero.

I'm interested in why you list Gandhi as a villain.
Is it because of his early racism and the things he did with his grandniece?
More his legacy, although those things are abhorrent of course. Peaceful protest has handed a very convenient escape rope to the wealthy elites of the West to abuse as they see fit. We pretend we are sophisticated, but if the past few years are anything to go by, we are far from that. I've felt for a long time that we, as a people, are slowly slipping into a very mechanical and prescribed lifestyle. Perhaps we are already there and have been for a while. America when viewed from far, often feels like a machine to feed a few. The UK feels a bit like a political playground for the upper class. I think that if I was sitting in my ivory tower right now, I'd probably be pretty darn happy that Gandhi's legacy of peaceful protest holds true. You can see it in America in the past couple of years. A few of the absurdly rich are coming forward under the false pretense of a moral obligation to pay their taxes, but it's from fear more than anything. The threat of violence is the only weapon of the peasants when society has failed to secure equality. Don't get me wrong when society is in a better place, peaceful protest is the only way to secure our future and scrutinize for change, but right now there are a lot of psychopaths taking advantage of a broken system and peaceful protest is not the answer.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and death137
death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
My father, cousin and historical figures like Gelawdewos and Zadengel.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993