N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am German as many of you probably know. Let me think about cliches about Germans- We are 1. direct (goal oriented and barely like small-talk), 2. we love rules, organization and structure. 2. Germans are punctual 4. Germans love soccer 5. We are well-insured. 6. We are distant 7. Love to drink beer 9. We know how to bake bread 9. Love sausages
My source for this is a website with an article named "9 German stereotypes which are straight up true"

Maybe if you answer the question of the title you should at least say from which you country you are coming from.

I could now elaborate why I think some of these steroytypes are not fully true in my opinion. Maybe this is an idea for another thread. Though I never had a long time period in another foreign country. I think such a thing is important for a good comparison/evaluation of cliches.

Now to the answer. I think for many instances I fit into a lot of German cliches. I hate small talk, I am goal oriented and direct. I really think rules are very important I hate illegality which also influences my commitment for liberal assisted suicide laws. I am a very punctual person I am really really neurotic about that. I like soccer but my love deteriorated when I saw all the corruption of the sport. I wish I was better insured. Compared to Americans I think I am very well insured though. My health insurance is very good and completely free. I am very thankful for that when I read horror stories of other countries in this forum. However I wished my parents would have secluded a specical disability insurance. This could have prevented my future poverty/suicide. My parents answered the question why they did not do that with we had no money for that. This excuse is a little bit too convenient imo.

At least in this forum I am not distant. If we meet us on the streets I am very distant. If I am patient in a mental health hospital I am very open about my feelings. I think this has something to do with pathological behavior caused by my illnesses.

Though I have to deny the last sterotypes. In these instances I am maybe an atypical German. I have never drunken beer. I never have drunken alcohol (intentionally) at all. I was always scared about drugs. I absolutely don't know how to bake bread. And I only know one German personally who knows how to do that...I am really not into sausages. I am very hypocritical about that. I don't eat much meat. I only can eat it when it is warm. Otherwise I am too much disgusted that I eat a former sentient being. I think eating less meat is still better (morally) than to eat tons of it.

I add some German stereotypes. Many Germans feel morally superior and also show that. I think this could also be true for me. Maybe some think of us as Nazis. I am not a Nazi for sure. I am a lefty. I read something very interesting about Germans in this forum. On the surface we would act politically correct but deep inside we had often racist prejudices. That could be true.

What about your nationality and stereotypes?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: TheSoulless and whywere
Al Cappella

Al Cappella

Are we there yet?
Feb 2, 2022
I can think of another—we don't suffer nonsense and incompetence easily. Do something and do it correctly, or let someone else do it. I too hate small talk, with a passion. I do like my beer—real beer—but haven't had any in forever. I know how to bake bread, and love sausages. But I can't stand sauerkraut—or anything pickled, don't like vinegar. I'm not insured at all.

The last time Germany won the World Cup, the day of the quarterfinal match I had a mini stroke and was taken to hospital. They wanted me to stay the night—I refused because I had to go home to watch the game.

I can tell you right now, no way in hell am I CTBing before this year's World Cup.

Reactions: PreussenBlueJay
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I can think of another—we don't suffer nonsense and incompetence easily. Do something and do it correctly, or let someone else do it. I too hate small talk, with a passion. I do like my beer—real beer—but haven't had any in forever. I know how to bake bread, and love sausages. But I can't stand sauerkraut—or anything pickled, don't like vinegar. I'm not insured at all.

The last time Germany won the World Cup, the day of the quarterfinal match I had a mini stroke and was taken to hospital. They wanted me to stay the night—I refused because I had to go home to watch the game.

I can tell you right now, no way in hell am I CTBing before this year's World Cup.
I am really sorry for your stroke. I am really scared about one. But why don't you have an health insurance? I think this is really uncommon in Germany.

• Hugs
Reactions: Al Cappella
Al Cappella

Al Cappella

Are we there yet?
Feb 2, 2022
I am really sorry for your stroke. I am really scared about one. But why don't you have an health insurance? I think this is really uncommon in Germany.
Because we came to Canada in 1970, and health insurance comes with being a citizen/landed immigrant, etc. As for the stroke—no long term effects, and Germany won! 😁

W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I was born in the U.S. and my side came from southern Germany. This is just my thoughts and no one else, but after seeing my "parents" till I was 18 act and behave, I truly feel that at least some folks of German ancestry are, racist, homophobic, heck everything.

My "dad" was the WORST ever, when it came to other races, religions, sexual orientation, again anything. He was bone chilling mean and could care less about the next soul as long as he was good. I disliked (hated) him from the start. How can one be so darn mean and nasty? When he found out, thank God it was when I was getting kicked out at 18, that I was bi. I can still close my eyes and see him get red in the face, clenched fist and shaking in his boots.

Now with that aspect said, I have always believed in the goodness of humans and that at the end of the day we all work together hand in hand, shoulder to shoulder, to better humankind and the Earth in general.

Walter

• Hugs
Reactions: ColorlessTrees, Silenos and Blondi
onlyanimalsaregood

onlyanimalsaregood

Unlovable 💔 Rest in peace CommitSudoku 🤍
Mar 11, 2022
Some stereotypes often associated with Portuguese:

- That we only eat papo secos, queijadas de nata, rissóis, bacalhau and caldo verde with beer or red wine;
- That Sundays are reserved for going to church and watching soccer games;
- We listen only to Fado music;
- In terms of the types of jobs: men work in construction and women work in cleaning or stay at home and take care of the children.

I don't fit in at all.

• Love
Reactions: whywere
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I think the only Asian stereotype I fit into is that my driving skills aren't that good and I really like milk tea.

On the other hand, plenty of American stereotypes do apply to me.

Oblivion Access

Oblivion Access

I don't know anything
Jul 5, 2019
Yes, I am racist 😎

• Wow
  • Yay!
Reactions: PreussenBlueJay and Foresight
D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Swedish men are stereotyped to be tall and handsome. I am proud to not adhere to stereotypes.

Yes, let's go with that.

Mixo

Mixo

Blue
Aug 2, 2020
Not particularly, no. Maybe a little to the region of the U.S. I'm from, but I think culturally and ethnically, I don't fit stereotypes too well.

Last edited:
Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
Yea. I'm actually kind of loud in person. My family is Bostonian and we are stereotypical poor, ethnically Irish Bostonians.

I think SS has been the most diverse forum I've ever used. I hardly ever think about nationality here. Very little differences between us in a lot of ways.

Reactions: PreussenBlueJay
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
Not really, I don't even like cocaine that much.

• Yay!
Reactions: PreussenBlueJay, motel rooms and Foresight
Anónimo

Anónimo

Student
Oct 15, 2021
Absolutely not. That's probably among the reasons why I wanted to ctb, cause I don't fit at all

WitheringAway

WitheringAway

Ima shake the champagne bottle...
Jun 23, 2020
No.. Here I'm supposed to wear hijab; I don't. Women are supposed to be slaves for their husbands; I divorced mine. You have to ask for your family permission for ANYTHING even going out; I don't. You're supposed to bow down to your parents even if they're abusive; I don't and I tell it like it is. You're supposed to obey male family members; I don't. You're supposed to be Muslim, I'm not. You're supposed to be straight, I'm not. That's probably why I'm hated by everyone.

Reactions: Fragile, Al Cappella and Foresight
Un-

Un-

I'm a failure. An absolute waste. A LOSEr.
Apr 6, 2021
I don't speak any black African languages. In fact, I have a very English, "white" accent - I can't even pronounce my given name. Being bisexual, disliking sport and African music, and being distant from my family adds to this calamity.

chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
I'm not even close to the Brazilian stereotype

antoniamonroe

antoniamonroe

Apr 18, 2022
I'm (white) American, a "military brat" with parents from different regions and backgrounds so I can't really point to a regional influence.
I will take stereotypes from wikipedia, because why not?

Positive: generous, optimistic, hardworking, friendliness.
I don't think that I'm especially generous, hardworking or friendly.. I'm quiet and keep to myself, some people mistake this for shynes. I probably do fit the stereotype of positivity and optimism.

Negative: obsessed with guns, materialistic, capitalist, lack of cultural awareness, racist, environmental ignorance, arrogant, nationalist, imperialist/"military zeal."
No to pretty much all of this. I actually used to go to an environmentalist summer camp when I was a kid.

I do tend toward individualism and "freedom loving" for want of a better expression, two things that weren't mentioned, though not as extreme as some Americans. Isn't there a stereotype that Americans treat their pets "too well"/like children? I fit that to an extent as well. I don't have children, just a cat.
I'm (white) American, a "military brat" with parents from different regions and backgrounds so I can't really point to a regional influence.
I will take stereotypes from wikipedia, because why not?

Positive: generous, optimistic, hardworking, friendliness.
I don't think that I'm especially generous, hardworking or friendly.. I'm quiet and keep to myself, some people mistake this for shynes. I probably do fit the stereotype of positivity and optimism.

Negative: obsessed with guns, materialistic, capitalist, lack of cultural awareness, racist, environmental ignorance, arrogant, nationalist, imperialist/"military zeal."
No to pretty much all of this. I actually used to go to an environmentalist summer camp when I was a kid.

I do tend toward individualism and "freedom loving" for want of a better expression, two things that weren't mentioned, though not as extreme as some Americans. Isn't there a stereotype that Americans treat their pets "too well"/like children? I fit that to an extent as well. I don't have children, just a cat.

Oh, I think there's also a stereotype that Americans are very religious? I'm not. I wasn't raised Christian, I wasn't even baptised.

Last edited:
Insomniac

Insomniac

𝔄 𝔲 𝔱 𝔦 𝔰 𝔪
May 21, 2021
no, I don't. not even a little.

Slaanesh

Slaanesh

Memento mori
Oct 23, 2019
I'm severely depressed, so yeah, Scottish fits pretty well.

PreussenBlueJay

PreussenBlueJay

Too short for Frederick William I’s Guards
Jan 18, 2022
Loud, dumb, boorish, hyper-individualist, but still needing a boss to push me around. I'm a typical American.

DetachedDreamer97

DetachedDreamer97

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2018
The only stereotype I probably fit is my expand dong (BBC), and maybe that I like watermelon, though I'm no longer too crazy about it due to my developed aversion to sugar.

I don't like grape Kool-Aid, nor soda, I don't care for fried chicken that much. And I definitely don't enjoy sports.

deleted

deleted

Wizard
Jul 31, 2020
No, I'm just dark and I like beer but I hate football and national music