🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
?

Reactions: LostinCyberspace
Rhymester

Rhymester

Failure
Aug 9, 2023
Yes, I do wonder that sometimes. Most of the time, I know that if I help a certain person I will not get the same in return. So why do I decide to do it? It's simple. I like feeling useful, owing to the fact that I feel useless most of the time and helping out someone could make me feel useful even if it's just for a minute.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Skathon, trashprincess, LostinCyberspace and 2 others
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Yes, I do wonder that sometimes. Most of the time, I know that if I help a certain person I will not get the same in return. So why do I decide to do it? It's simple. I like feeling useful, owing to the fact that I feel useless most of the time and helping out someone could make me feel useful even if it's just for a minute.
So people often help out of self-interest? What a world

Reactions: Rhymester
Rhymester

Rhymester

Failure
Aug 9, 2023
So people often help out of self-interest? What a world
Most people often help out of self-interest. Humanity argues that people shouldn't be greedy/selfish. If you dig deeper into this, most people are marked by self-preservation, meaning that they would put their lives above anything else; dying for someone would be against for many if it would mean that they would lose their own lives. This just means that humanity is in fact selfish; it is humanity's most dominant trait. Most people would put themselves above anything else. Personally, I am an empath, I like to help out people by relating to various experiences. I find that by doing this, I and the person I am empathising with can both benefit in terms of our well-being and such creating a win-win. I don't know many empaths and I do not like giving up on people so even though I know that I would not get the same in return for helping someone, the sense of still helping out that person makes me feel, as I said useful because I know that one day my efforts of helping that person could change them for the better and they could go on helping somebody else.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: LostinCyberspace and psp3000
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
when I help people I do it without expecting or wanting anything in return because I feel like that (expecting or wanting something after you do stuff for others) means that you truly did not want to help them out of the kindness of your heart / genuinely

but then again I like helping people it makes me feel okay/happy so I guess I am not genuine either because I get something out of helping people although feeling okay/happiness isn't a task or anything materialistic that you can get in return

but when people help me in return whether if it's as soon as possible or weeks or months or years from when I helped them or do something for them it makes me happy

sorry if this doesn't make any sense I am bad at explaining things but I like this question a lot

• Love
Reactions: LostinCyberspace
Fktw0rld

Fktw0rld

An end with suffering > Suffering without an end
Aug 29, 2022
Absolutely. I've spent the past 40+ years helping others, expecting nothing in return but a friend. Even that's too much to ask in today's society. So as of 2 years ago I've totally stopped. Even when I know I have the means, experience and know-how. I now just sit back and let everyone deal with it themselves.

• Love
Reactions: Sprite_Geist and LostinCyberspace
LostinCyberspace

LostinCyberspace

May 9, 2023
I have before and I never got anything in return. I think that's just how it works in our world, you're not guaranteed anything in return. Helping others is self-sacrifice, and is an admirable and beautiful thing.

Reactions: Freyja13
trashprincess

trashprincess

She/Slur
Aug 8, 2023
I just want to be useful. I just want to have value. That's reason enough for me.

And maybe if I keep acting like that.. one day I'll be someone I actually want to be.. maybe...

• Love
Reactions: Freyja13 and Ambivalent1
K

KafkaF

Taking a break from the website.
Nov 18, 2023
No, I don't really wonder about it. I assume most people wouldn't help me. Some might even exploit my situation. But I want to be nothing like those people. I want to help because I value helping, whether other people would do the same doesn't matter for me.

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I disagree with the premise. As I have aged, I have a better appreciation of how good the average person actually is. We may not be friends, but most people will help if they think they can. It's just that they usually don't and/or are too distracted by their own dramas to be of much use. Despite the abject shittiness of human societies throughout history, most average people in daily life are decent.