I

Ineedthis18743

Oct 6, 2024
I don't think people regret it. It's what they wanted and needed. I think most people probably gets scared half way through though
When I'm finally successful there will be no doubt in my mind it'd what I wanted but I bet I'm terrified in those final moments

Reactions: Hunter2005 and CantDoIt
S

SVEN

Enlightened
Apr 3, 2023
Maybe regret what they are experiencing because of the method, however I doubt many who manage to commit to the act regret what they have decided to do.

Reactions: Catch-22
F

F@#$

Freedom seeker
Nov 8, 2023
I regret not going through with it 25 years ago.

Reactions: Catch-22 and Hunter2005
opheliaoveragain

opheliaoveragain

Eating Disordered Junkie
Jun 2, 2024
I don't like to think this, since I just accompanied someone virtually on weds and I do not want to think that in that 25-40 minute window that they were at all filled with regret. They finally got to where they wanted and needed to be and they're free now, from pain, from tears, from everything.

I can't speak for people who are fully impulsive (different than half impulsive, you can have everything planned to a T and a certain situation puts someone over the edge and they start their plan maybe sooner than they thought they would)

Reactions: vanillamilkshakes
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I guess it depends on each individual and their methods. Survival instinct is another major factor.

Reactions: opheliaoveragain
apearl

apearl

mitski fan
Sep 25, 2023
I do think about it from time to time, thats why I would never do a jumping off a high place method because if I regret it halfway down it would be brutal.

Emeralds

Emeralds

Aug 29, 2024
I think many people do regret it. There are a lot of impulsive suicides. Also many suicides where someone may not want to die, but feel that they are forced into it because of their circumstances. No one will know for certain if they will regret it until they do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: suffering_mo_7
nir

nir

27/F/Canada
Aug 18, 2024
Yes, unfortunately with the large quantity of suicides that happen, statistically it is likely that a large number of people die each year by suicide who regret it in their final moments.

There's an interview with someone who jumped off of the Golden Gate Bridge who said he regretted it as soon as his feet left the ground. He managed to survive.

There are, however, plenty of people who have survived suicide attempts on this website who only regret their survival. I think it really depends on person-to-person, and it can be difficult to assess what your own reaction to death will be like.

Reactions: suffering_mo_7, willitpass, Zanmato and 2 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Yes, I expect so. Just how much of that is SI induced though, I wouldn't like to say. I'm sure that feeling frightened and in pain makes you want to return to a more familiar place of safety. Feeling scared shitless has managed to banish suicidal thoughts for me in the past. I expect death itself is a much more intensified version.

Reactions: willitpass