N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
SInce I am taking my medication my ability to cry decreased. Though I get tears in my eyes sometimes in usual situations. When I am sad I usually don't cry. When I am extremely desperate and overbburdened I cry sometimes intensively. But often only for a short time. This has changed since I am taking medication. There are some positive and negative things about that. But the positive effects are probably bigger.

When I hear sad stories I often rather get angry about the society, the life in general, ignorant people, a theoretical God who could exist.
I tried to find a pattern when I am crying. And I think I have found the main reason. It was not that obvious to find I had to watch my behavior. My main reason is more induced by my unconsciousness. When I see in series an happy ending I cry. Especially when it is a series with nostalgia of my childhood or time as a teenager. It just reminds me of my naivity when I was a child. I thought everything will be fine someday. Everything will be also fine for me someday. Life was fair. And there will also be an happy end for me.

Though when I now re-watch these series I am really disaffected. Many dreams of my childhood don't become true. Life was very unfair for me. I get punished for being abused. When I was young I thought there was justice in this world. Now when I see how my life turned out and everything becomes more desperate I am just pissed and sad.

I wish I could believe again in this thinking there will be an happy end for everyone and life is fair. But life disappointed me too deeply.

Which triggers your crying?

Last edited:
Unworthyoflove

Unworthyoflove

Student
Aug 7, 2022
yeah I do cry sometimes watching movies. mostly when people in the movie are very upset and devastated. but also when I see romantic love happening and its well played. Thats why I actually dont like romantic movies, it makes me cry when seeing what I dont have and maybe never will. Then there is this movie called "Momo" a story from a book by michael ende , there I cry because of the deep and true message behind the story and also during the scene where the children play in the old theatre imagining they are on a ship in the storm. I could cry rivers about not being a playful child anymore... a child that still doesnt know how horrible and lonely its adulthood will become.

Reactions: 7b48hl
Un-

Un-

I'm a failure. An absolute waste. A LOSEr.
Apr 6, 2021
I haven't cried since four years ago. It was ridiculed into me, since I was a child, that I was a cry baby. So I stopped.

I'm well aware that I have the emotional intelligence of a frog that's been hit with a hot shovel. I've watched movies.. Like recently, I watched Cannibal Holocaust, which had a lot of scenes of real animal killings, and rape, which.. I think would upset a lot of people. I didn't feel anything. I've seen those very things in reality.. There was a gore video of a man killing and raping a homeless woman. My sister's close friend was beaten, gang-raped, and killed in a Post Office. I didn't feel anything. I'm sorry for the gruesome detail.

I think one thing that I've learned is to not have hope. I'd never say it, to not insult anyone, but I think there's nothing stupider than having hope - especially for humanity. That's why these things.. Why global injustices.. How my own life turned out.. It's why it doesn't make me feel anything. It would be stupid of me to think otherwise.

Good things do not last forever. In fact, good things only exist to make the bad things much more miserable. God gave us love, so He could rip it away. We wouldn't feel misery if we never had love to begin with.. That's just my idiotic, pessimistic view of things.

• Aww..
Reactions: lofticries
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I cannot cry anymore. I haven't been able to for a long time. I just feel tired, getting so upset to the point of crying sounds like it would require energy, which is energy that I don't have. Whenever I hear of something upsetting, it just makes me want to leave this world even more. Life is just too cruel. To me, it's just so horrifying how life is even a thing in the first place.

• Hugs
Reactions: DreamSurfer, Unworthyoflove and Un-
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I can cry pretty easily. Tears come for me when I'm angry, especially when I can't show my anger. Sad movies, particularly with string family or moral themes, get to me. I cry at Hallmark commercials. I have even cried looking out at a neighboring tree or frog thinking about nature.

I do wish I wasn't this way. If I were a guy, I'd probably be even more insecure about it.

• Hugs
Reactions: archipelago and PreussenBlueJay
PreussenBlueJay

PreussenBlueJay

Too short for Frederick William I’s Guards
Jan 18, 2022
Fiction doesn't get to me enough for that kind of reaction (though I don't watch that many movies or shows). I did feel rather fatherly toward a dog of mine that lost his sight and when his health was going downhill I often cried and held him. Seeing his toys in his bed with him felt very sad to me as he was no longer able to enjoy them. I kept wondering if I should put him to sleep but he died one day while I was at work. It was six days before I could bring myself to dig his grave and when I opened the box and unwrapped him from his blankets I saw the way he had died, curled up in his sleep. I know I am distant about other people but knowing that this life was in my care made me feel how undeserving I was to be his owner. He was probably ready to die and I kept him alive out of pity for his condition and regret that there was no deserved reversal of fortune to restore his playfulness and youthful vigor. All I did for him was pity and sob.

It's the feelings of uselessness that bother me most. I want to be helpful but I never am and that can upset me to the point of tears from sadness or frustration. From fiction I'm more apt to tear up from inspiration if a character manages to become a hero to someone.

• Hugs
Reactions: DreamSurfer, StarlightDreamer and Ringo
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
Thinking about my dead cat makes me really emotional. Some school experiances as well. I don't think any movie has ever made me cry. However movies with child/animal abuse and rape in general make me nauseous.

I avoid war movies as well yet think the saw franchise movies as comical. I guess the fact that that shit happened irl hits harder.

Reactions: TheLastK and Un-
TheLastK

TheLastK

You can just call me K
Aug 6, 2022
Thinking about my dead cat makes me really emotional. Some school experiances as well. I don't think any movie has ever made me cry. However movies with child/animal abuse and rape in general make me nauseous.

I avoid war movies as well yet think the saw franchise movies as comical. I guess the fact that that shit happened irl hits harder.
Saw movies are comically gory though, it's so fake that it's funny , like when the guy from that band I think it was linkin park dies, it's comically bad whereas anything with an actual event especially a documentary gets me upset or shocked. Haven't cried in years though, yet feel like I always should be.

• Hugs
Reactions: lofticries
StarlightDreamer

StarlightDreamer

Infinity Weaver
Aug 2, 2022
I know I am distant about other people but knowing that this life was in my care made me feel how undeserving I was to be his owner. He was probably ready to die and I kept him alive out of pity for his condition and regret that there was no deserved reversal of fortune to restore his playfulness and youthful vigor. All I did for him was pity and sob.
You're a good man, friend. I'm sure he's waiting for you, in the after.

Ironically for the forum we're on, the thought of death renders me terrified and solemn. And when I listen to a couple specific sad songs, I can't help but cry. I think of my friend who drowned herself last year; envision the happy times before her last night, before the fire that gutted my life, before I reckoned with this intractable and crippling illness.

Other things make me melancholy... As of late, I've felt bad for this Nigerian guy at work named "Ebenezer". Maybe I just have an excess of empathy. I wouldn't have it any other way, though.

• Hugs
Reactions: PreussenBlueJay
BruhXDDDDD

BruhXDDDDD

Student
Feb 18, 2022
There's actually a pretty easy format for me. Establish some kind of dream/far-fetched goal from the outset, then have it be met in a bittersweet way around the end of the story. The game To the Moon is a good example of this, even though it didn't actually make me cry.

That or just do whatever Tales of Ba Sing Se did because that episode definitely got the tear ducts flowing.

PreussenBlueJay

PreussenBlueJay

Too short for Frederick William I’s Guards
Jan 18, 2022
Other things make me melancholy... As of late, I've felt bad for this Nigerian guy at work named "Ebenezer". Maybe I just have an excess of empathy. I wouldn't have it any other way, though.
You're strong for feeling that way. Sometimes I wonder if powerful sensitivity deadens someone after a while. Is that guy like a fish out of water or something?

Thank you for your kind words. Seeing as how he has returned to the collective unconscious matter of the universe I probably shouldn't think about it overmuch.

• Love
Reactions: StarlightDreamer
J

Journeytoletgo

Broken and hated 7-14 years long overdue
May 14, 2018
I use to be before age 23 now I can't even cry anymore I'm like really numb. Since my sexual assaults

• Hugs
Reactions: DreamSurfer
O

outatime_85

Warlock
May 17, 2022
No, I don't cry when watching emotional films etc.

Unfortunately, after so many traumatic experiences, etc., my ability to cry was turned off a long time ago.

Now if something disturbs me (film, life, etc), I find myself either laughing as a replacement or simply bottling up my emotions.