sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Do you believe in God, and if so, why does he allow people to suffer? Why doesn't he intervene or do something? Personally I'm an atheist but I hate the possibility that this world might have been created by a higher power. There's so much suffering and it's just allowed. There's so much sadness on this planet and people are literally starving to death everyday, and there are wars raging on. If there's a God, he must be sadistic for designing such a cruel society and world

• Hugs
Reactions: Rocinante, heavyeyes, nolifezzz and 4 others
CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

Metal Fan- Wants to hang Under The Oak
May 8, 2023
No, and I firmly believe that a god of the Omni-predicates is logically impossible to exist. It's possible that there's some higher power, but it might be something like Azathoth, a blind idiot god more akin to an animal than a human. Other than that, I don't see any reason to believe in god.

• Love
Reactions: heavyeyes, The Burning Fool, ChronicallyCynical and 2 others
Brown-Jacket Revy

Brown-Jacket Revy

Waste
Jul 10, 2023
Yes. I pretty much subscribe to Archaix's worldview: simulation theory, with a possible benevolent god outside of this construct, but a malevolent one inside of it.

The one thing I can't figure out is why the god outside of it would allow us to be trapped here, or this place to be built, or for evil to thrive.

There are plenty of allusions to various scriptures about it, metaphors, paradigms, belief systems, but none of them are straight to the point.

Reactions: ChronicallyCynical and sserafim
NotToTouchTheEarth

NotToTouchTheEarth

Sep 14, 2023
I believe in many gods. They are plentiful, and for most of them, useless. The ones that aren't useless are more often than not assholes. Overall an overrated concept when you know every living thing can technically be god if it wants to.

Reactions: sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Yes. I pretty much subscribe to Archaix's worldview: simulation theory, with a possible benevolent god outside of this construct, but a malevolent one inside of it.

The one thing I can't figure out is why the god outside of it would allow us to be trapped here, or this place to be built, or for evil to thrive.

There are plenty of allusions to various scriptures about it, metaphors, paradigms, belief systems, but none of them are straight to the point.
Why would the god inside this construct have to be malevolent? Why couldn't we have had the benevolent one instead? And yeah honestly I think life might just be a simulation and reality happens after you die. I think we're all trapped in a matrix and when we ctb we see the truth about the world
I believe in many gods. They are plentiful, and for most of them, useless. The ones that aren't useless are more often than not assholes. Overall an overrated concept when you know every living thing can technically be god if it wants to.
Yeah true, we all can be god. We're the master of our destiny, right?
No, and I firmly believe that a god of the Omni-predicates is logically impossible to exist. It's possible that there's some higher power, but it might be something like Azathoth, a blind idiot god more akin to an animal than a human. Other than that, I don't see any reason to believe in god.
Yeah I don't believe in god but I was arguing with my dad about the existence of god, which made me think more about the universe and life itself. I told him that I didn't believe in god and that there's no divine plan and that everything is just consciousness (and life arose spontaneously/accidentally), and he got mad at me and said that the world too complex and intricate for it to have been a coincidence. And I do think that the universe is super intricate, like someone engineered or designed it.

My dad said that the world is marvelous and that god decided that you would be in it. He said that my existence was a "gift from god". Tbh I didn't even know that my dad was religious but he got mad at me for not believing in god lmao. He thinks that I lack faith and belief and spirituality. Honestly I didn't even know that he was such a hardcore believer

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Rocinante, ChronicallyCynical and EternalShore
theslasher

theslasher

psychonaut
Jun 12, 2023
You've gotta uneducated / wrongly informed to believe in any of the worlds religions. Even if some higher power happened to exist, there's no fucking way our human brains could possibly create an accurate interpretation of it. Theres over 4000 religions and you're really telling me, "oh but this is the real one!" And all the religious extremists who argue back and forth about which religion is superior is so blind. You've also gotta be childish and self centered to believe any sort of higher power would actually take the time to give a fuck about your personal life, haha. Imagine you buy an ant farm, you don't give a shit about any of them in particular, its more so just fun to watch them. People are so bamboozled by the existence of life and consciousness that they create some super natural reasoning for things in an effort to understand it. Humans used to think lightning and earthquakes were created by gods. That came from a lack of understanding. Now that we have such incredible knowledge and discoveries revolving around DNA, genetics, evolution, chemistry, abiogenesis (the original evolution of life from inorganic substances, this happened multiple times in experiments), its really easy to understand it all. And yeah for the record I'm an atheist if you could not tell. I don't think the presence of a higher power is completely impossible, but its just much more likely that a higher power does not exist at all. And sure its hard to disprove it doesn't exist, but the burden of proof is NOT on atheists to prove that a god doesn't exist... the burden of proof lies on religious people to provide proof that it DOES exist. Asking an atheist to provide proof that a god does not exist is like telling someone to provide proof that unicorns don't exist.

• Love
Reactions: ireallywasnttogopls, The Burning Fool, ChronicallyCynical and 3 others
backtoearth

backtoearth

<3
Sep 9, 2023
I kind of believe in every God but not as literal beings - rather forces/energies that we cannot fully comprehend. I assume this post about the Christian God who I believe is an egotistical, and revenge-driven God - you can read in the Bible the horrors people allege He put them through (whether or not the Bible is reliable is a separate convo), I do not put any energy into Him anymore.
I worship the Goddesses and Gods of my country, and try to follow the ways of my ancestors in this modern world. Ideally I would go completely off-grid and follow their ways, this is also not to say I don't believe in science - it is the complete opposite - faith and science answer different perspectives of the same questions. Storytelling is one of the oldest ways of preserving our history and to teach, so are these spiritual texts perfectly scientifically accurate - of course not - but with the knowledge of the world we have now we can look at these stories and depictions through a different lens and try to find meaning and purpose through them.

Also was atheist for a number of years so not trying to be all preachy or anything, just wanting to offer a different perspective :)

Brown-Jacket Revy

Brown-Jacket Revy

Waste
Jul 10, 2023
Why would the god inside this construct have to be malevolent? Why couldn't we have had the benevolent one instead? And yeah honestly I think life might just be a simulation and reality happens after you die. I think we're all trapped in a matrix and when we ctb we see the truth about the world
Still trying to figure that out.

Religious scriptures allude to a challenge between two gods, and the adversary taking the reigns of this world.

But I still wonder why a benevolent god would allow that to happen.

EternalShore

EternalShore

Hardworking Lass who Dreams of Love~ 💕✨
Jun 9, 2023
Yes, I believe in God, the Christian God. It makes the world more interesting! :) If no god were to exist, then the cosmos would be pretty boring after all! :( And the Resurrection just happens to be the miracle with the most evidence~ hehe~
I've also toyed with the idea that the Bible was just Yahweh's form of propaganda as it'd explain the reason why everything sucks so much, and that there was actually a divine form of ying and yang going on with Lucifer either being the puppet of the other high god or merely a 3rd fighter~ Altho, I'd think the other god would've made their own revelation by now, and Myotei argues that it'd be pretty hard for 2 mutually opposing forces to work together to create such a universe! >_<

• Love
Reactions: LoiteringClouds and sserafim
djangoicecream

djangoicecream

Sep 15, 2023
Do you believe in God, and if so, why does he allow people to suffer? Why doesn't he intervene or do something? Personally I'm an atheist but I hate the possibility that this world might have been created by a higher power. There's so much suffering and it's just allowed. There's so much sadness on this planet and people are literally starving to death everyday, and there are wars raging on. If there's a God, he must be sadistic for designing such a cruel society and world
Well, I believed in God but I actually know he is real, I also know there's a devil. I took a while to understand why he allows so much suffering too. I generally have my questions answered now. I know where you can get that question answered in full though, if you google lds missionaries you should find a way to get in contact with people who can explain the whole circumstance. Though I used to be against God, now I realize he is loving despite what's going on. Satan hates everyone though and he lies about everything. I loathe the devil. Everything bad I know of is his fault.

ChronicallyCynical

ChronicallyCynical

Natural pessimist, born quitter.
Sep 9, 2023
I think it would not be rational to believe in the Biblical God in terms of a literal interpretation of the text.
I also personally do not believe Gods exist any more than I believe the Tooth Fairy exists, or that the boogeyman hides under my bed. (And, honestly, would prefer that to some asshole God.)
Mind you, I am not surprised people believe in Gods when they are raised in sheltered, cult-like environments or in a bubble. Even when they are not, their access to knowledge is limited and they are kept believing through fear. I feel bad for the people who do believe in God, but at the same time, I won't stop them from it. If they wish to believe in a higher power, sure, why not? It's their freedom. If it comforts you or gives you a sense of community, go for it. But I feel like belief in a God sets one up for disappointment in their God.
Not to mention that for so many people - religious folks included - it only creates a personal hell on Earth for them, constantly restricting them and filling them with self-loathing.

• Love
Reactions: The Burning Fool, sserafim and Kerrtu
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
No, I believe that anything related to religion is a fictional concept invented by humans who were unable to accept how meaningless existence truly is. I see existence as being nothing more than a horrific mistake and cycle of senseless cruelty and suffering with no deeper purpose or meaning behind it.

• Love
Reactions: sserafim and The Burning Fool
todix

todix

Apr 30, 2023
I don't believe in a god. Allot of stuff about the existence of god just doesn't make sense to me.
If he does exist and he would be all powerfull I would say he is evil for creating all this stuff he knew what would happen.
Besides that sending people to eternal suffering because they didn't believe in you thats just psychopath stuff.

• Love
Reactions: sserafim and The Burning Fool
C

chloramine

Arcanist
Apr 18, 2022
Yes. As a quick caveat before I try to give my beliefs- I am bi and support the lgbtq+ community and abortion rights and all that stuff. I know when people hear someone else is a Christian that can create automatic fears and beliefs about them (I definitely experience this when I hear someone else profess they're Christian) for completely valid and understandable reasons.

My understanding of it is that God created humans out of an overabundance of love and a desire to share in ruling. In order for humans to not be robots (if they were I would not see the point of creating them) they need free will. Humans have a choice about whether to define good and bad on their own terms or whether to trust God's definition and they choose to define it for themselves which did and does lead to a lot of problems.

I don't know why suffering exists to the extent it does. To prevent all human evil (from someone just being a bit of a douche to atrocities) would remove the component of free will and the meaning of making the right decisions, but that doesn't mean I understand it or why the worst things couldn't be stopped. Maybe there are worse things that have been prevented, but because they're prevented we never see them- I don't know.

I don't want to make this a whole essay so I'll leave it at that as a basic overview. I'm happy to discuss more if anyone is interested or for that to be it.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
As per the principle of parsimony the simplest answers tend to be the correct ones so as such the simplest answer to your question is that there is no cosmic force that gives a shit about alleviating suffering, which is a concept that is completely irrelevant in the natural world (the one humans evolved in) anyways.

R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
I don't believe in God that people described but I dunno if something exist out there.

MulherSatanás

MulherSatanás

Born Ugly
Sep 10, 2023
I honestly can't believe in God

Tristan

Tristan

Don’t cry for me, I’m already dead.
Mar 21, 2022
No, God is an imaginary friends for the masses who think they have a paradise waiting for them. All relatives I've lost recently to cancer were the most devote people I've known. But at the burial then god woks in mystery ways, when the minister said this to someone I loved dearly last year, I've held my breath not to thrown a piece of rock at him. This is my personal opinion, but I respect the people who do.

H

HerculePoirot

(Frozen account)
Sep 25, 2022
I'm not even convinced that He believes in me. So...

• Hugs
Reactions: wildflowers1996 and sserafim