wayn

wayn

orange cats are so cute
Oct 3, 2024
Brain studies suggest that our decisions are influenced by neural activity, which may be beyond our conscious control.

But honestly it's more complex than this. Since human decision-making is influenced by a variety of factors, including emotions, memories, and reasoning. This complexity suggests that our choices are not entirely determined by a simple cause. Anyway I would like to hear yall thoughts on this.

everyday phil collins GIF by 29thfloor

Reactions: Forever Sleep
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
I will put it this way, I don't believe we don't have free will. This is because I don't see the case for determinism so in some sense we are free because we aren't held captive to a single course. Whether that is randomness or we have conscious control I don't know. I do tend to lean toward believing we have some form of free will though.

• Love
Reactions: Trismegistus_13 and wayn
L

lamargue

sleepwalker
Jun 5, 2024
no since free choice does not constitute a volition, so free choice arguably ≠ free will

Reactions: wayn
W

wCvML2

Nov 15, 2021
No, there isn't free will but the amount of variables that lead to each decision is too much for even the strongest computer in the planet to predict its outcome. It is all cause and effect. There isn't any evidence to support free will or reason to explain why there would be free will in the first place other than religious belief. The brain is a physical organism, it can't be free from its physical limitations and can't stretch beyond the set neuroplasticity. If a surgeon will lobotomize me, I'll have a different personality. It can happen also with neurodegenerative disorders.

Reactions: AtheistCDsissy and wayn
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
To an extent- yes.

I think our decision making is highly influenced by a number of factors- genetics, upbringing, life experiences, the current situation we find ourselves in and ability to cope with it but, I think we still get the final say. Basically- I think the majority of people have been taught what's right and wrong. Even if they are more inclined to do wrong things- they likely know they are doing them so- could potentially choose not to.

The problem I have with saying we don't have free will is, to my view, it lets criminals off the hook. It wasn't their fault that they murdered or raped that person or, molested that child. Sorry but- they are liable most likely. They knew it was wrong but, they did it anyway knowing the damage it would cause. Plus- they simply can't have been so clueless that what they were doing was wrong or, powerless to resist it if they make a conscious effort to cover their tracks and not get caught which I imagine- a lot do.

Additionally, other people with the same thoughts, don't act on them. Maybe you could argue they are more genetically gifted in terms of resisting temptation or, they had a stricter upbringing defining right and wrong. I'm not entirely convinced though. Not all people from difficult backgrounds go on to harm others and vice versa.

Plus, how could someone commit suicide if we didn't have free will? Surely, suicide has go to be the ultimate antithesis to all that is naturally and socially coded in to us.

Last edited:
  • Informative
avoid

avoid

⦿ ⦿
Jul 31, 2023

Yes, I believe in free will. There are many people who have debated this topic on a philosophical level. As far as I'm aware, there's no definitive proof that free will exists or not. So people are free to choose in what they believe: live and let live. However, one of my pet peeves is when someone uses the lack of a free will as an excuse for how their live turned out badly.

• Informative
Reactions: wayn and wondering&wandering
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
It's important to note that, at least to my knowledge, a lot of those studies involve participants engaging in simplistic repetitive tasks. As to whether or not and to what degree the results would be reflected in a real-world setting where one is likely to be engaging in more complex decision-making is something that needs to be answered (at least from what I know).

H

Hvergelmir

Student
May 5, 2024
I think it's a matter of perspective.

Disregarding unscientific beliefs and souls, and such, "cause and effect" and "free will" are on completely different abstraction levels.
If everything is cause and effect, it must also include what we consider free will.

"Free will" as a concept clearly exists on a subjective macro level. It's a helpful abstraction to conceptualize our decision making.
I don't see the exact nature of either "will" or "freedom" as relevant in that context.

We could of course stop using such abstractions and instead think of people as automatons or physical chain reactions, but I've never seen such models result in anything desirable.

Thus it's not about belief to me. I choose to use "free will" as an everyday high level concept, because it's intuitive and helps me understand myself and my surrounding.

• Informative
wayn

wayn

orange cats are so cute
Oct 3, 2024
You guys got some really good point. It was nice to read them.

MiraiShisen

MiraiShisen

Student
Jun 15, 2023
I dont believe we have free will. We just beahve in a pattern human body is programed to, and ofc there are differences because of how this program is written, if you have flaws in your genetic code then you will behave slightly/ or more different than others. Did you choose that you will live your life in a day and sleep during night? Did you choose to have urge to have a sex? TO be sexually atracted to other gender (or dont) and so on... we dont have any control, we think we have. IF by free will you ment daily almost irrelevant decision making like I am gonna listen that kind of music or watch that move instead of other then yes I think there is some level of free will. But I am not that sure, it can still be decided by our brains and hormones, your current mood or what we are used to. If life really had a free will it would extinct long time ago.