Do you believe in biological determinism?

• yes

• no

• partially

Results are only viewable after voting.
lamargue

lamargue

sleepwalker
Jun 5, 2024
Biological determinism, the idea that most human characteristics, physical and mental, are determined at conception by hereditary factors passed from parent to offspring. Although all human traits ultimately are based in a material nature (e.g., memorizing a poem involves changing molecular configurations at synapses, where neurons interact), the term biological determinism has come to imply a rigid causation largely unaffected by environmental factors.

Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov
Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Missed my appointment with Death
Mar 9, 2024
I don't precisely agree with the definition you posted, but the more I've thought about this issue, the more comfortable I've become calling myself a determinist. Environmental factors play a huge role in anyone's life, obviously, but if you had different biology, those environmental factors would affect you differently.

Reactions: lamargue
lamargue

lamargue

sleepwalker
Jun 5, 2024
I don't precisely agree with the definition you posted, but the more I've thought about this issue, the more comfortable I've become calling myself a determinist. Environmental factors play a huge role in anyone's life, obviously, but if you had different biology, those environmental factors would affect you differently.
what part of the definition do you not agree with?

Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Missed my appointment with Death
Mar 9, 2024
what part of the definition do you not agree with?
Mostly the "rigid causation" part. I'm not confident enough in this belief to feel comfortable attaching the word "rigid" to any part of it.

Reactions: lamargue