D

donewithlife1

Oct 31, 2023
My son died by gunshot and I died too.. that day changed me killed from the inside he was everything to me and now I have nothing to give to this world. He was smart advance in school beautiful person but he also was addicted to game. Do you think gaming addiction can actually causes teen to suicide?

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, Forever Sleep, sserafim and 4 others
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
Well I never like to say I know for sure but I'm fairly certain any addiction means there is some other underlying problem. I very much doubt it was the gaming that was solely responsible.

Reactions: Peerless_Cucumber, donewithlife1, Lostandlooking and 4 others
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
simply put no gaming doesn't make someone suicidal some individuals who experience suicidal ideation, or have attempted suicide, may seek video games as a way of escaping

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, donewithlife1, sserafim and 2 others
LetMeBeSad

LetMeBeSad

Student
Sep 21, 2023
Addiction is the symptom to a problem. However, addiction of any kind can rob a person of all the other things that might bring joy. Thus giving more reason to ctb. Addiction is a complex issue. I wouldn't blame the addiction though. At least not as the sole reason to ctb.

Reactions: donewithlife1, Lostandlooking, sserafim and 3 others
Outsidelessness

Outsidelessness

Zero is immense
Feb 13, 2023
I'm very sorry to hear about your son. I want you to keep in mind there is still a huge potential of values anyone can give to the rest of the world, the only downside is they're required to work towards it. If the meaning of your personal life is giving to others, then you can still be giving and nothing is stopping you. You may be thinking of specific ways to give to others but what matters more is what you're currently capable of doing. I'm rooting for you in going through this extremely difficult time.

As for your question: any addiction can lead to very detrimental life issues regardless of what you're addicted to, but it doesn't mean that partaking in the same actions that end up being addictive for some people is unhealthy. Gaming is a good example of this. For most people it's a way to connect with others but for some it's an opposite effect that leads to isolation. Sure it can be somewhat dependent on what someone is addicted to, but the major variable of this is how much it over-allocates for vital life experiences. If this pertains your son's death, I think the possible factor that matters more is what he was subjected to on these platforms, such as who he was specifically speaking to and how he was being treated socially.

His death is not at your fault. If there's any self-blame going on inside of you then I want you step back and think of this. If your son has a good friend or relative who absolutely wished the best for them and meant no harm, likely scenario is that they shouldn't be blamed for his death for how they could've been better in helping his predicament. If it makes sense to not blame them then it should also make sense to not blame yourself.

Reactions: donewithlife1, Foreverix, sserafim and 1 other person
voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
I'm sorry for your loss and how it has affected you. But in answer to your query, no, almost impossible. As the others have said on addiction but gaming itself, it's pure escapism. There never was a correlation between shooters (as in gaming) and shooters (perpetrators) for instance, it's just plain sense that they'd play something violent instead of peaceful. Personally, I've literally gamed at least 15-20 years of my life away, and as much as I love(d) it, one main essence is escape from reality and have yet to see a game (addiction) that could steer one towards suicide (let's forget nutters who leave their kids to starve because of World of Warcraft).

Of course, there's also gaming addiction as in gambling, and that can certainly lead to intense stress. Did sports betting over a decade ago and it went really well but also blew all of my winnings when outside factors messed up my system. It got personal, but never lost my original stake. So, while it can give one powerful highs and lows, if one gets carried away and perhaps into financial trouble or otherwise under pressure, hm, that might indeed lead to depression and suicide.

But I take it we are talking the first type of gaming?

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, donewithlife1 and Lostandlooking
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
My son died by gunshot and I died too.. that day changed me killed from the inside he was everything to me and now I have nothing to give to this world. He was smart advance in school beautiful person but he also was addicted to game. Do you think gaming addiction can actually causes teen to suicide?
I'm not sure, I think it's more like general discontent and dissatisfaction with the world and reality which leads people to gaming addiction as a means of escaping reality. I think the gaming addiction was a form of escapism and a coping mechanism.

• Informative
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, donewithlife1, Foreverix and 4 others
D

donewithlife1

Oct 31, 2023
I'm not sure, I think it's more like general discontent and dissatisfaction with the world and reality which leads people to gaming addiction as a means of escaping reality. I think the gaming addiction was a form of escapism and a coping mechanism.
I agree about that but I also think teens get confused between reality and fantasy. Anyway I just can't live without him I need to end my life. I need to end it in an away that looks like a natural death I know how much it hurts now so I don't want my family to be in this path of grieving.
I'm very sorry to hear about your son. I want you to keep in mind there is still a huge potential of values anyone can give to the rest of the world, the only downside is they're required to work towards it. If the meaning of your personal life is giving to others, then you can still be giving and nothing is stopping you. You may be thinking of specific ways to give to others but what matters more is what you're currently capable of doing. I'm rooting for you in going through this extremely difficult time.

As for your question: any addiction can lead to very detrimental life issues regardless of what you're addicted to, but it doesn't mean that partaking in the same actions that end up being addictive for some people is unhealthy. Gaming is a good example of this. For most people it's a way to connect with others but for some it's an opposite effect that leads to isolation. Sure it can be somewhat dependent on what someone is addicted to, but the major variable of this is how much it over-allocates for vital life experiences. If this pertains your son's death, I think the possible factor that matters more is what he was subjected to on these platforms, such as who he was specifically speaking to and how he was being treated socially.

His death is not at your fault. If there's any self-blame going on inside of you then I want you step back and think of this. If your son has a good friend or relative who absolutely wished the best for them and meant no harm, likely scenario is that they shouldn't be blamed for his death for how they could've been better in helping his predicament. If it makes sense to not blame them then it should also make sense to not blame yourself.
Thank you so much! To answer your question about his friends, yes he did have two gaming and real friends that tried to die by suicide also but it was unsuccessful we didn't know until after and I believe was surrounded by toxic people online. I'm tired to feeling guilty I'm a social worker and a counselor but I couldn't help my son so what's the point? I'm thinking about ending my own life and end this pain. I go to support group but it's not helping it's being 6 months and I still feel as if it's today.
I'm sorry for your loss and how it has affected you. But in answer to your query, no, almost impossible. As the others have said on addiction but gaming itself, it's pure escapism. There never was a correlation between shooters (as in gaming) and shooters (perpetrators) for instance, it's just plain sense that they'd play something violent instead of peaceful. Personally, I've literally gamed at least 15-20 years of my life away, and as much as I love(d) it, one main essence is escape from reality and have yet to see a game (addiction) that could steer one towards suicide (let's forget nutters who leave their kids to starve because of World of Warcraft).

Of course, there's also gaming addiction as in gambling, and that can certainly lead to intense stress. Did sports betting over a decade ago and it went really well but also blew all of my winnings when outside factors messed up my system. It got personal, but never lost my original stake. So, while it can give one powerful highs and lows, if one gets carried away and perhaps into financial trouble or otherwise under pressure, hm, that might indeed lead to depression and suicide.

But I take it we are talking the first type of gaming?
We're talking about final fantasy 15 and velrant. I agree with you the game its self won't tell you to kill your self but what about the toxic and cyber bullying through gaming chat and discord. My son deleted everything from his computers and we can't find his phone. It's leading me to think he didn't want me to see something. Have you ever heard about sextortion and how they threatened teens in order to get money i wonder if this happened to my son.. anyway pain is too much and I'm not spending the rest of my life with this type of pain and guilt I have to CTB soon
Addiction is the symptom to a problem. However, addiction of any kind can rob a person of all the other things that might bring joy. Thus giving more reason to ctb. Addiction is a complex issue. I wouldn't blame the addiction though. At least not as the sole reason to ctb.
I agree with you and because we don't know for sure it's killing be
simply put no gaming doesn't make someone suicidal some individuals who experience suicidal ideation, or have attempted suicide, may seek video games as a way of escaping
Agree and I can't say I know why? I'm just trying to find a closure we don't have.. he was a happy person can you fake your smile?
Well I never like to say I know for sure but I'm fairly certain any addiction means there is some other underlying problem. I very much doubt it was the gaming that was solely responsible.
I prob will never find out but I can't live with this pain either I have to go follow him maybe we can meet again

Last edited:
Reactions: sserafim
TiredTurtle

TiredTurtle

Oct 29, 2023
No, I don't believe gaming addiction is what killed him, the gaming addiction was most likely his preferred way of coping with whatever it was that caused him to take his life.

If anything I think the gaming addiction possibly brought him some relief from whatever pain he was experiencing and maybe prolonged his life.
Sorry for your loss

Reactions: donewithlife1
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I'm so sorry for your loss. I think as others have said- gaming is probably a coping strategy for dealing with the real issues that lead him to this. Unless- there was any kind of bullying going on online?

I'd say I've used coping strategies in life. For me- I was trying to escape from growing up with a (suspected) narcissist. I became obsessed with creative work. That obsession has followed me my entire life. The main reason I want to CTB now is because it's so difficult to sustain myself doing it now. So- my reason isn't the coping strategy itself- it's the not being able to do it.

Had your son been older, the gaming thing I would say may have been an issue- if it was preventing him from working and supporting himself but- being young presumably, I don't know- it seems like it would have impacted him less. I'm sorry. I can't imagine what you're going through.

Reactions: sserafim, donewithlife1 and WAITING TO DIE
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
I'm so sorry about your son, yet I agree with others here who regard gaming as a coping mechanism rather than being a destructive force.

BLEH:3

BLEH:3

Nov 6, 2023
Yes, i for a while was a socially awkward, fat, ugly and overall a not pleasant person mostly cause all i did and thought about was gaming. I picked up the gym, took up bettering myself, while still suicidal and an attempt or two in that period i was less socially awkward, decently jacked, conventionally attractive and a nice person to be around. I still play games but i don't spend that much time on it. If gaming is all you do it will show but if you play from time to time theres nothing wrong with it