N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Here is a definition of it.
—used to say that a desired result is so good or important that any method, even a morally bad one, may be used to achieve it

I am not sure how much this applies to suicide. Usually I say do what is necessary in order to survive the next day. Sometimes it is just a battle one can fight from one day to the next. Sometimes one should forget all the sorrows on the future because the full attention has to be spend on the present day. This was at least my experience when I was extremely depressed. The present was that tomenting that I tried to suppress other anxieties. The situation was that overwhelming that I had to do it in order to protect myself.

But maybe this is kind of off-topic. I wanted to say that if you struggle a lot you should allow yourself to be kind to you. Do the stuff you like without too much worrying. However here comes the core of the question in the title what if the behavior that helps you is immoral or damages other beings? I think this is a very complex question. Because one has to balance the damage of the behavior with its benefits. Some behaviors might be pathological for example for people with personality disorders. It must be a very hard life for example for psycho-or sociopaths. I mean they have not really chosen this condition. I think often abuse is the root of this disorder. On the other hand it is obivious not every evil behavior should be allowed. It is ethically probably difficult in some cases. For example when I think about gore videos. I think it is immoral to watch them in many cases (and probably detrimental) but if this is what people help to get by the day and survive I don't know. How much should I judge such a behavior when I don't know how it feels to be like in the mind of the other person?

Another example David Foster Wallace. There were some metoo allegations against him. He did some fucked up things and hurt people. Not sure how deep though. On the other hand he suffered decades of major depression and suicidality. I can give one example. He slept with many of his female fans. He did not care much about their feelings. But in a story of his he describes it more or less as a desperate attempt to find a mental state that does not lead to his suicide. I don't approve such a behavior at all and his mental pain is no full excuse for that. But I also know what hell on earth can feel like. Some people are probably pretty desperate.

Like for example scamers from third world countries. Many probably don't care about morality. But what if you have hungry kids to feed and there are no other jobs in your area. These bad conditions are often also helpful to recruit soliders for cruel and unfair wars.

I mean there are so many messy and hellish conditions one can have. I don't feel like one should be too explicit to blame a single person if one does not know their full story.

This thread went this road. I mean the question of the title is quite general one could also could have given this thread another direction.

What do you think about that?

Reactions: katagiri83