Nanako

Nanako

Experienced
Dec 24, 2018
Refined grains, foods with a lot of added sugar, or that are rich in trans fat, can have a profoundly negative effect on my mood. I also suspect there's some foods that I might be intolerant to and might be negatively effecting my mental health. Can you relate?

avoid

avoid

⦿ ⦿
Jul 31, 2023
Yes. I think you're describing food guilt. [src]
When a person experiences food guilt, they have feelings of shame about what they're eating. Food guilt can affect people by increasing negative emotions, especially if they consider the nutritional value of a food to be harmful to their health.

You can also develop strong links between memories and sensory signals. For example, if you always smell freshly cut grass on your way to school at a young age, and then go a long time without smelling freshly cut grass as you grow older. Then when you do finally smell this odor again, you'll likely be reminded of your walks to school when you were young. If these strong bonds work for positive memories, then they probably work for negative memories too.

I only relate to occasionally experiencing food guilt. I don't have any other negative associations with food, other than having terrible sugar cravings from time to time.

ra1nw3rldd

ra1nw3rldd

︻デ═一
Sep 13, 2023
i dont like eating unhealthy food
i enjoy the flavor of this specific brand of instant noodles but afterwards it gives me that feeling of food guilt like my torso feels thicker & my face fatter & more meltedish

a different example is that i dont really like white fish its just always very boring to eat, or steak feels like too much energy to cut & not worth it

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'm the opposite. Most healthy food just makes me sad and angry while unhealthy ultra processed foods are some of the only things that are good in my life. That's probably what led to me getting type 2 diabetes.

HereTomorrow

HereTomorrow

Eternally atoning
Feb 1, 2024
Not because of the food itself, but forming a negative memory to it.

Pretzel nuggets and Five Guys Burgers.

My mother would take me to those two places after my therapy sessions almost every week, those two exact spots, and I've come to hate the taste of both. I hated going to therapy and got worse, so I affiliate those foods with fear to the point my appetite is gone. It's like replaying a memory of being emotionally town down over and over. Eight years later.

Regular pretzels I'm fine with. They taste good.

notwhereIbelong

notwhereIbelong

I'm so tired
Feb 12, 2023
I'm disordered so I get guilt with the majority of food. 'Junk food' especially, I need at least a week of preparation before I feel 'ready' to eat it

Differently, I dislike meat because of sensory issues