girlofduty

girlofduty

Dec 12, 2020
Do you think that you'll be happier living on an island all by yourself?

I guess I'm asking two questions.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment, Makko, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 7 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Yes, I would be more than happy if I lived on an island, isolated from people.
Even politics used to make me suicidal so, you can imagine how society has an influence on me.

• Hugs
Reactions: blue_muse, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Mistake of Nature and 1 other person
girlofduty

girlofduty

Dec 12, 2020
Yes, I would be more than happy if I lived on an island, isolated from people.
Even politics used to make me suicidal so, you can imagine how society has an influence on me.
Understood. I think that living on an island by myself would help a little but a part of me will still be wanting to ctb. Seems like I'm never satisfied, and won't be until my time comes.

• Love
Reactions: oversizedsweaters, WornOutLife and demuic
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
Yes, every time I go to a social event I end up feeling worse.

I might be happier, because I know there will never be anyone who can truly understand me. But what I would really like and can't stop myself from always craving are friends, a group of people who I can belong to and not always feel like an outsider.

• Hugs
Reactions: coppervomit, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, oversizedsweaters and 2 others
girlofduty

girlofduty

Dec 12, 2020
Yes, every time I go to a social event I end up feeling worse.

I might be happier, because I know there will never be anyone who can truly understand me. But what I would really like and can't stop myself from always craving are friends, a group of people who I can belong to and not always feel like an outsider.
Yes, agreed. It sucks but I guess humans long to connect or feel like they belong to something with someone else.

I think that this is the issue when I get dragged to social events, I see people connecting and having a good time and I'm just not.
Really, all my energy goes into pretending to be normal or to seem "not depressed."

• Hugs
Reactions: budgie, coppervomit, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 2 others
MYStERY_Man

MYStERY_Man

The 't' is silent
Jul 15, 2020
Do social events make you even more suicidal?

Not anymore, I think. I let all my friendships die and I don't wear a mask around the family. So during Christmas and stuff like that I just sit by the table, drink beer, entertain myself with my own thoughts and occasionally respond when they ask me something. If I had to pretend, smile and engage 100% of the time, that would definitely overwhelm me.

On another note, one night, when I was procrastinating my undergraduate thesis, I figured it would be a good idea to request an Uber and go to a rave on my own. That was fun. I talked to random people, drank 5 or 6 shots of vodka and a liter of Red Bull when I was coming down, danced the whole night, did it again a month later. Then I couldn't procrastinate anymore, then I came back home in the middle of nowhere in order to study to try and get into a position in the (overvalued) public sector. If I manage to escape this cozy yet uneventful town, I'll do more of the festivals thing.

Do you think that you'll be happier living on an island all by yourself?

Maybe. Initially I'd feel the same apathy. However, I have very low, yet very real social requirements. So eventually I could go completely insane and then, in a delirious state, be happy. I'd definitely feel more free to CBT though, that'd be a weight out of my shoulders.

• Hugs
Reactions: budgie, coppervomit and KuriGohan&Kamehameha
Marktheghost

Marktheghost

Paragon
Feb 20, 2020
Loneliness is my main reason for wanting to die. I NEED more social events! My lack of social skills would be the main problem, but social events with crap social skills would be better than sitting at home all day every day like I am at the moment.

x_LittleAmy_x

x_LittleAmy_x

Student
Mar 18, 2021
Yes definitely.
I have Asperger's and the need to fit in is painful.

Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
They don't make a difference for me. I have a job that requires me to be very social, including lots of semi-informal social events. Then 2020 happened and the turbulent social stuff abruptly stopped. I'm not feeling any different for it. It's just a chore that I don't have to do anymore. One effect it does have is that sitting at home for long periods gives me derealization which is not good for productivity.

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
1. Around normies (work/school) I start breaking down sooner or later. Single events I can handle but I tend to get feelings of despair and emptiness afterwards. 2. Depends on the material conditions of the island, if it was comparable to my current life I don't think it would change my mood much, just make me a little more insane. I think if I had an "island gf" it'd be better than my current life.

Island gf   Copy

lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
Yeah, especially family events.
One recent event that stands out in particular is when I went to a cousin's wedding(forced to by dad) which was by a lake. Spent the majority of my time there on the dock just staring at the lake to the point where my dad had to come over and drag me back a little cause he thought I was gonna fall in. Never before has dirty lake water looked so tempting.

Reactions: Makko
C

Crusader

● I do not live ● ● I exist ●
Mar 6, 2021
They don´t make me more suicidal, but angry. I hate having many people around me. I hate noise, party, cars. Living on an island without cars would be great.

Last edited:
Reactions: budgie
Lmd

Lmd

Elementalist
Jul 12, 2020
Makes me tired but not suicidal. I enjoy seeing the attitudes and ways of acting that people have and what makes them different from each other but they don't make me suicidal or sad, just curious.

I love to see the sea so I would enjoy to live on a island but if I do it alone I would miss people for sure.