K

Kain10th

May 7, 2020
Or can you handle those moments without feeling awkward?

• Hugs
Reactions: Journeytoletgo, I_love_to_bake and Brick In The Wall
mathieu

mathieu

Enlightened
Jun 5, 2019
Most people I feel awkward around, maybe other than immediate family.

• Hugs
Reactions: I_love_to_bake and Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
It depends on the person, group of people, or situation I suppose. I try to break the silence with meaningless bullshit if it goes on for too long.

Reactions: luneetétoiles, Skathon and Oyoy
Evermore

Evermore

Apr 20, 2020
I really depends on who it is , some people i can be silent around and feel comfortable but with others there's always the need to fill the silence . I don't tend to talk to people that much in person anymore though as I don't have much to say and what I do have to say they don't want to hear .

Reactions: ERASED, Good4Nothing, luneetétoiles and 1 other person
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
They're always awkward for me personally. I struggle dealing with and reading people, and when things go silent I get uncomfortable because I feel like I did something wrong that killed the conversation.

• Hugs
Reactions: TheSoulless
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
Depend on the person, a lot can be said without saying anything. Most people though, I just don't talk to them to begin with or make an excuse to leave/hang up the phone etc.

Reactions: Élégie and Skathon
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Depends entirely on the person, the relationship you have with them and how adept each of you are at reading each other's verbal and non verbal social queues.

Reactions: Good4Nothing
GoBack

GoBack

Paragon
Apr 25, 2020
It depends. The silence these days is deafening though, so quiet out there it's eerie

Reactions: I_love_to_bake
I_love_to_bake

I_love_to_bake

Student
Feb 27, 2020
Never.

But I grew up with silent parents so I'm okay with silence. I have to remind myself that other people don't like silence and to think of something to say.

Silence is definitely less akward than answering invasive personal questions.

Reactions: ERASED and GoBack
Reiraku

Reiraku

May 5, 2020
I'd like to reference that date scene from Pulp Fiction. It describes my stance pretty accurately:
"Don't you hate that? Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshit in order to be comfortable? That's when you know you've found somebody special. When you can just shut the fuck up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence."

• Love
Reactions: ERASED, Good4Nothing and raindrops
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
They're always awkward for me personally. I struggle dealing with and reading people, and when things go silent I get uncomfortable because I feel like I did something wrong that killed the conversation.
Exactly how I feel.

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
In the words of Depeche Mode "words are very unnecessary".

Sorry, I am not actually answering the question you posed, I just love the song it reminded me of: Enjoy the silence. Both the song and video - Dave Gagan with a royal mantle on him atop a snow-covered mountain.

R

RepressedMind

Miss the full ability to think
Apr 24, 2020
Sometimes. But most of the time I am so intertwined in my own thoughts and mental issues that at this point it's just another occurrence happening and I don't feel much. You know how you're feeling a lot of pain and it jusy numbs everything else out? It is sort of like that

Reactions: Skathon and Evermore
Cosmiq

Cosmiq

Student
May 7, 2020
I'm completely fine with silence as my parents and other adults highly valued a quiet child. I can sense if someone else feels uncomfortable in silence, and depending on the amount of energy I might engage with them a bit.
However, people, that can sit in silence without coming off uncomfortable I feel closer to. Also I kinda just get lost in my head and enjoy people that don't interrupt me with words.

In the words of Depeche Mode "words are very unnecessary".

Sorry, I am not actually answering the question you posed, I just love the song it reminded me of: Enjoy the silence. Both the song and video - Dave Gagan with a royal mantle on him atop a snow-covered mountain.

love this song and a big Depeche Mode fan, and also one of those that have the violator rose tattooed on them lol

Reactions: ERASED
F

faraway_beach

Seawater and stardust
Dec 30, 2019
Sometimes. I'm from New York, and so are most of my friends. I guess we speak quickly. I once had a friend from Florida (later moved again). She would wait for what she thought was a decent pause in the conversation, but by then one or another of us would have felt it was an awkwardly long pause, and start to speak over each other. People's sense of timing can just feel different.

suicidebabyseal

suicidebabyseal

Nothingness just lasts a second
Jun 5, 2020
Sometimes I can handle it if I feel safe with the person I'm with. Silence is not too scary when you trust one another.

Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
They feel awkward to everyone. Witness the scene in Pulp fiction where it's addressed

raindrops

raindrops

Someday, eventually
Mar 29, 2020
Sometimes I can handle it if I feel safe with the person I'm with. Silence is not too scary when you trust one another.
I'm sat here reading threads and usually I don't say anything but what you said there made me cry a little...
3 months ago I was with the person who I thought loved me forever, we were together 11 years, 15 when we met. I'm so heartbroken.
This is what I loved the most we could talk for hours about anything or sit in silence with no awkwardness.

I just realised after typing that I am now that person who will go on and on about their ex, I'm sorry

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: suicidebabyseal, Good4Nothing and Deleted member 1465
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
I once feared these moments and was very uncomfortable with them, but I have learned to enjoy these moments. This space of being silent is actually an intimate space, where both you and the other person are left to your imaginations ... I am bad at describing what I mean to say ... mutual silence seems to breed a feeling of familiarity and closeness. There is also a tension that can make itself felt in those moments.

Sorry it's hard to describe.

I also enjoy watching the other person get a little uncomfortable sometimes

• Love
Reactions: K-O