TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Growing up and as someone who attended church before, I've noticed something about the evangelists. They oftenly (not all) go around to less privileged neighborhoods and sometimes even middle class neighborhoods to get people to come to their religion (not necessarily Christianity specifically but even with other religions). The same could be said with that of preachers on campus and/or campus ministries.

However, I always wondered... do evangelists and religious proselytizers oftenly target (or appeal towards) the more vulnerable people to join their congregation, such as those who have little friends, social outcasts, those who are already in a bad situation in life (whether academically, professionally, financially, etc.)? This isn't to offend anyone who may be religious, but it is something I always wondered, especially of the kinds of people they reach out to.

I saw a YouTube comment (might have been buried) on an YouTube video of someone's religious testimony (I think it's a Japanese citizen who has recently converted to said religion (in her case, Christianity) in 2011/2012 (some time after the 2011 earthquake and tsunami that devastated Japan). The comment stated that during this hard time, many people are down on hope so the religious oftenly bring hope and use this tragedy as an opportunity to spread the gospel, proselytize. Then the comment said that after they (Japan) have recovered, then they would reject said religion and go back to their normal and previous lives, which makes sense. Therefore, it got me wondering of whether religious people (not all but a fair amount) oftenly use tragedies and vulnerable people's desperation to get them into their religion.

What are your thoughts on this?

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, Fragile, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
W

Worthless_nobody

Enlightened
Feb 14, 2019
In my personal experience as a social outcast with no friends the christian religion was very cold and down right abusive to me. I was forced to attend christisn school for years and was bullied and teachers said I was demon possessed when they found my dark drawings about death, graveyards etc. They sent me to the church counselors and literally tried to perform an exorcism on 14 year old me. Needless to say I'm not a christian...I'm atheist.

In this same school they often held a chruch service type meeting where various speakers spoke to us. They claimed to care about the poor, the sad, sick, the outcasts. Even missionary's who visited 3rd world countries to "spread the word of god" came and talked about how they brought these people in to christianity. I just never saw the care and compassion that they preach...but that's just my personal story.

Outside of my personal life I definitely see and read about religious people going around spreading their beliefs to the underprivileged and poor areas. They hand out little bibles or papers inviting people to attend their church. Missionaries definitely do this going to other countries or areas hit by disaster trying to spread their religion.

This is an interesting topic. I wonder why they do often target vulnerable people. I wonder if it's because they see these people's living situation, social situation or a natural disaster as an opportunity to get in and change people's minds since these people are more vulnerable and need "hope". The idea that religion gives them hope and something to believe in during a hard time? In my personal observations yes they definitely do use tragedies and desperation to bring people into their religion (not trying to upset anyone this is just personal opinion) I have more ideas as to why and I could go on and on about my thoughts and ideas but I don't want to upset anyone. I just had a traumatic childhood thanks to religion so I'm just passionate about these subjects.

• Hugs
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, Myforevercharlie, not-2-b-the-answer and 2 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Those who preach to convert may do so because they themselves lack faith at a deeper level.
They draw others in to prop up their own subconsciously doubtful mind.
The faithful in any religion don't really preach, they lead by example.
Those who speak loudly of faith don't really know what they truly believe and those that really know have no need to speak loudly.

• Love
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, Myforevercharlie, TAW122 and 1 other person
avoid_slow_death

avoid_slow_death

Ready to embrace the peaceful bliss of the void.
Feb 4, 2020
It's how authoritarian rule works. And make no mistake, most religion is all about subjugation, submission and compliance. It gives false hope to the weak and downtrodden so it can make excuses for the lack of control they feel they have in their lives. And it gives people who aspire to control others the tools they need to subjugate their subjects. Blind obedience and sycophancy are the cornerstones upon which authoritarian rule is built and religion is the means to which it can be achieved.

• Love
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, Shinbu, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
mesohappy

mesohappy

Cat piss sammich??
Jan 10, 2020
Ive never had "bad" experiences with evangelists,to be honest...None of them touched me where I didnt want,no stealing or taking advantage of me.

I actually turned to THEM when I was downtrodden,sick and alone and at the end of my rope.And they helped me when no one else did, whether it be food,lodging or companionship/counselling.

It has been my own questioning/non conforming mind and restless spirit that has always pushed me away and kept me moving.When I did "move on" I never felt any pressure not to.Like they chased me down,tied me up and dragged me back.Some followed up, just to tell me they were concerned about me,thats about it.Always told me that I was welcome back.

As far as going to the less privileged and low income neighborhoods,well yeah,thats what Jesus did right?There are also some who have been accused of going to the rich only,so they can increase their tithes and offerings/status while ignoring the poor and downtrodden in the the name of God.

• Love
Reactions: Trannydiary, Myforevercharlie, Deleted member 1465 and 1 other person
Broken Chimera

Broken Chimera

The abyss also gazes into you
May 27, 2019
The best way to brainwash people is to get them when their vulnerable. People who are well off usually won't become religious. This is why there's a church on every corner in most major cities. They target the lower middle class people so they can get paid. If they get a large enough following they become a mega church. The bigger they get, the more people they reach with the gospel (fairy tales). It's all about money and control. Most of them don't even believe in what they preach. Some of them are the most evil people you'll ever meet. Then they use the fear of hell to keep you from leaving.

• Love
Reactions: Trannydiary, Wolfjob_dayjob, Shinbu and 2 others
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
@Raven Moon I'm sorry to hear about your experiences and mine was similar in adolescence with the school bullies. They too, were the people who proclaimed to (or at least came from religious families and upbringings) religious and morally righteous. Then again, during adolescence, they were teens, hormones and teenage angst & rebellion is a big factor too, so that might be another reason to why they do what they do. Kids can be so cruel really sums it up.

@Underscore Good point, especially the last sentence. I do agree with you about that the true believers lead by example and don't feel the need to use fear or threaten the masses to get their point across.

@avoid_slow_death Yeah I think that's what happens a lot in some of the other non-first world countries around the world. Also, before first world countries are a what they are, they were once governed by religion and monarchies too.

@mesohappy That's good to hear that they have been more beneficial than harmful for you. Interesting to hear about the fact that you had a good turnout overall. In regards to your last point, yes, that is a good thing that they are doing and I do commend them for that. However, just trying to brainwash or convert people who otherwise wouldn't be interested, that part I don't approve of.

@Broken Chimera What you said is spot on. I consider my family to be middle class (not really upper middle nor lower, just mid-middle for lack of a better term). As for the evil people with ulterior motives, I believe that's what I learned of what some of them became. I knew a couple for many years and now they are in seminaries studying to become missionaries and are really going for missions out of the US. While they both appear to be nice, I sense and learned (from experience) that their main motivation is really just to push religion to the non-believers and the way they frame it makes it seem benign, but I believe they are far from benign. Sure, they aren't the in your face and aggressive preacher type (the hell-fire, fear inducing street preacher type) but they are persistent and sometimes passive-aggressive, judgmental in their attitudes (even though subtly).

Reactions: Worthless_nobody and Broken Chimera
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
this is one of the oldest and most common ways that religions and cults gain followers, by preying on the weak and vulnerable.

they promise great things in times of need so naturally, people join them, then when the lives of the new followers become slightly less shitty they claim that it was because of their new faith.

and this tactic is also used by awful political parties, pyramid scams and even terrorist groups. if you are in a good place and are mentally sound then you are not likely to fall for those traps, but if you are poor or a tragedy just occurred in your life or in your country, any glimmer of hope would be enough to make you join them. this is the reason why Nazism and similar movements gained so much power.

really sad to think that the most powerful and influential people in the world are just sociopaths who got there because they have no respect for other people's lives.

Reactions: Trannydiary and TAW122
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
this is one of the oldest and most common ways that religions and cults gain followers, by preying on the weak and vulnerable.

they promise great things in times of need so naturally, people join them, then when the lives of the new followers become slightly less shitty they claim that it was because of their new faith.

and this tactic is also used by awful political parties, pyramid scams and even terrorist groups. if you are in a good place and are mentally sound then you are not likely to fall for those traps, but if you are poor or a tragedy just occurred in your life or in your country, any glimmer of hope would be enough to make you join them. this is the reason why Nazism and similar movements gained so much power.

really sad to think that the most powerful and influential people in the world are just sociopaths who got there because they have no respect for other people's lives.
Excellent post and good examples from history. I think as a society we oftenly repeat history and/or delude ourselves to be "better" than people of the past, but one thing is always constant and that is that we (humans) while rational, are still slaves to our instincts (survival instinct, selfishness, greed, primal urges, etc.).

Reactions: Trannydiary and Fragile
MartyByrde

MartyByrde

Experienced
Mar 15, 2020
Formalized religion is a business like any other. "Know thy customer." I think Moses said that once upon a time.

Theses tactics are also used by extremists to gain more followers. Nazis, Isis, right-wing extremists (Alex Jones), Proud Boys and their dildo-loving leader, etc. all gain their power over others by telling them what they want and need to hear. Doesn't matter if there's a bit of fact in what they preach, as long as the sheep follow along.

Religious organizations get the added benefits of zero tax liability. Such bullshit in a country where church and state are supposedly separate.

• Love
Reactions: Trannydiary, TAW122, Brink and 1 other person